• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should start against UNC?

Starting QB, if both are healthy?

• Wolford

Votes: 34 22.1%
  • Hinton

Votes: 114 74.0%
  • LoBo

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
I have stayed on the Wolford train for a pretty long time but I'm turning over to Hinton this week.

I would say Hinton @ 100% > Wolford @ 100%, but Wolfford @ 80% > Hinton @ 80% due to the nature of their games, and obviously if one is significantly healthier, he should start. The starter this week will most likely be a health issue like yesterday. Hope Hinton heals up quickly.

Actually who ever is closer to 100% physically

We need someone who will give 110%.

Hinton. Not only do I think he gives us the best chance at winning I really want him to start against UNC, because they were the only school in NC that didn't offer him. Instead, they offered a kid out of Texas. He felt completely disrespected by how they treated him during the recruiting process.

Hinton. Not only do I think he gives us the best chance at winning I really want him to start against UNC, because they were the only school in NC that didn't offer him. Instead, they offered a kid out of Texas. He felt completely disrespected by how they treated him during the recruiting process.

That's a great point

If Hinton is close to 100 percent, I say Hinton. If he isn't and both are still limited, I'd go with Wolford just because of experience. Being a true freshman it may be too much to ask Hinton to manage a game with limited abilities.

I don't want to go through another season with the QB position totally dependent on a true freshman. The learning curve is too great. But I do want Hinton to get substantial minutes as he learns to read defenses and becomes more accurate with his throws. As much as I like and respect Wolford, I have become convinced that Hinton is our future.

I almost guarantee Wolford will start Saturday regardless of Hinton's status. But if Hinton is close to ready and Wolford doesn't move the team then we'll probably see him.

If both were 100% I would expect Wolford to start, get 70-80% of the snaps and for Hinton to be a situational sub. I suspect that we will see that towards the end of the year if both are healthy. Neither were healthy last week.

From Clawsons pressed I would assume we don't see Hinton this week unless in an emergency situation. Clawson is still the starter and Hinton will only get some reps if the staff feels he is 100%.

@WakeRivals 2m2 minutes ago North Carolina, USA
"Not sure. We'll let you know Saturday," Wake coach Dave Clawson said when asked on ACC teleconference about the QB situation.

Interesting. Sounds like it may not be as concrete as past weeks.

Though it could also be he's just keeping the cards close.

If both were 100% I would expect Wolford to start, get 70-80% of the snaps and for Hinton to be a situational sub. I suspect that we will see that towards the end of the year if both are healthy. Neither were healthy last week.

Would love to see this. Give Wolford a breather here and there from being pummeled just about every play, while getting Hinton some burn to keep the opposition on their toes. It would be sickening to watch delay hand off, Wolford keeper, then put ourselves in a 3rd and long every time we have the ball.

Hinton will play with a lot of emotion being from Durham....

Would love to see this. Give Wolford a breather here and there from being pummeled just about every play, while getting Hinton some burn to keep the opposition on their toes. It would be sickening to watch delay hand off, Wolford keeper, then put ourselves in a 3rd and long every time we have the ball.

Agree with all this. Very logical approach. However, I predict that Hinton will do great as a change of pace sub, partly because the inherent advantage of the defense having to adjust. There will then be an even more rabid call for Hinton to start. The fanbase will become divided and, more importantly, could divide the team. Classic QB controversy. Bound to happen. Would happen if the roles were reversed. If Clawson could pull it off without losing the team, that would make him a remarkable coach.

Chubb called Hinton the best player on the field against FSU. The players would likely be fine with Hinton as the starter.

I doubt this question gets answered this year. Both Hinton and Wolford appear to have injuries that linger and are easily aggravated. The OL does neither any favors. The Deacs will be fortunate if either is 100%. I suspect both will play as health dictates and we should probably be satisfied that there are two viable candidates.

nm not worth it

Last edited:
I like Hinton and I like Wolford I want to see us use both. With all John's sacrificed for this team he has earned it.

I like Hinton and I like Wolford I want to see us use both. With all John's sacrificed for this team he has earned it.

The kid deserves a purple heart for playing behind our O-line last year, but no player earns the right to play over another player that is better. I'm not even saying Hinton is better right now, but if he is, than John needs to be standing on the sideline.

Sweet revenge in game of football could help. Hinton all the way.

Back