• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should start at Quarterback against Virginia Tech?

Who should be the starting Quarterback in two weeks against Clemson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Benching Griffis (or anybody else) after 3 bad games to start his career as a starter for a guy who's never started a game in his college career - against Clemson, no less - is objectively fucking stupid.
But continuing to play the worst performing quarterback in the league by a wide margin who has also shown a carelessness with the ball to absurd levels is not?

But continuing to play the worst performing quarterback in the league by a wide margin who has also shown a carelessness with the ball to absurd levels is not?
I think he’s saying that if you have the 119th best qb at the D-1 level you have to keep putting him out there, because the alternative is you may play the 120th best QB. I can only assume he thinks this way because he believes this will guarantee us the first overall pick in next years draft.

Because otherwise he is saying doing exactly what Nick Saban did earlier this season is objectively stupid.

The mental gymnastics a few posters use in justifying more Griffis is mind-boggling. As posted above, Saban has tried out three QBs early in the season. Why? Maybe because he wants TO WIN! But, God forbid we dare replace one of the worst graded QBs in college football with someone who just might be slightly better. Amazing. Wouldn't want to be an Alabama and tarnish our football legacy!

The mental gymnastics a few posters use in justifying more Griffis is mind-boggling. As posted above, Saban has tried out three QBs early in the season. Why? Maybe because he wants TO WIN! But, God forbid we dare replace one of the worst graded QBs in college football with someone who just might be slightly better. Amazing. Wouldn't want to be an Alabama and tarnish our football legacy!
I honestly can't believe that 35 percent of people on this poll think he should keep the starting job after seeing his performance the last two weeks. What more do you need to see to realize he's not ready for this level? I mean he may not even be ready for FCS football to be quite honest

There are fans who will always trust the coach no matter what. Questioning the coach is heresy and they’ll defend the coach’s honor.

What’s funnier is if the coach does what detractors have been saying he should do, that’s evidence to trust the coach.

Welp. Clawson just stated on his radio show that Griffis is his QB and that Kern might go in if needed due to something like an injury.

Folks, I'm about out for this season. Good luck but I think I'm going to join family and friends on Lake Norman more often on Saturdays this fall. I have better things to do if this is the mindset. I'll probably have more Tower and TD Club seats for sale in the coming weeks.

Perhaps he's hiding his cards and will spring some huge surprise on Dabo with Kern and some trickery. I have $1,000 that says that won't be the case to the first person who would like to bet.

Last edited:
Well then he should learn from Saban with Milroe or Belicheck with Mac Jones. Both guys were benched for a game to see what the team had on the bench.

No kidding. Alabama looked awful against USF... Buchner was beyond terrible. I can see why he left Notre Dame in the face of Hartman making him sit for a year, but he doesn't strike me as a threat to be a full time DI QB anytime soon.

I don't think there is an easy answer, Mitch was pummeled relentlessly by GT, but also held on to the ball way too long in the face of an OL that was struggling. We were all yelling "throw it" in the stands! They needed some shorter routes that developed more quickly.

It is probably worthwhile to get Kern involved in some way, but I would assume he'd already be playing if he were equal or better to Mitch.

Coach obviously saw something in the spring game

I look forward to these 12 Saturdays so much every year, and of late it had been great, because every game we played I thought we had a chance to win. I trusted our coaching staff and I trusted our players, but now all I feel is dread. Unless something changes and I mean really changes, I don’t see a game we can win. It’s a shame, because our Defense is playing its tail off. Roberts is a legitimate NFL linebacker. We have an incredible receiving core but none of if will matter if our QB keeps playing like he has been, but hey according to coach he won the job in the summer and once you win a job you can’t lose it apparently.

May we all find someone who believes in us despite all evidence to the contrary the way Dave Clawson believes in Mitch Griffis.

I look forward to these 12 Saturdays so much every year, and of late it had been great, because every game we played I thought we had a chance to win. I trusted our coaching staff and I trusted our players, but now all I feel is dread. Unless something changes and I mean really changes, I don’t see a game we can win. It’s a shame, because our Defense is playing its tail off. Roberts is a legitimate NFL linebacker. We have an incredible receiving core but none of if will matter if our QB keeps playing like he has been, but hey according to coach he won the job in the summer and once you win a job you can’t lose it apparently.

May we all find someone who believes in us despite all evidence to the contrary the way Dave Clawson believes in Mitch Griffis.
There are going to be a bunch of empty seats in Allegacy going forward. We’ll all bitch but still show up. But we’re the diehards.

Mitch has been terrible and our receivers are still really good but we suffered a huge blow losing Greene. Banks is an awesome contested catch guy but last year we had 2 guys ahead of him in addition to Morin and Williams. Right now our group is not nearly at the same level. I would love to see some creativity getting the ball to Williams in different ways though.

OK, I saw some of Clawson's quotes from the radio show. This one sticks out to me.

“What [Griffis] did in camp wasn’t an accident.”

What does camp matter at this point? We are a third of the way through the season! You just got handled by a bad Georgia Tech team, and should have lost to ODU. Elon gave us a little bit of trouble. All of the statistics show Griffis is extremely far from where he needs to be.

Kern better play awful if he does get into the game, or this whole thing is starting to seem strange.

Kinda sucks for the rest of the team that Clawson is gonna run with Griffis again. Just give him the game off. Light a fire under his ass. Kern’s probably not gonna start more than 1 game and if he does start more then it means we’re doing good with him under center.

OK, I saw some of Clawson's quotes from the radio show. This one sticks out to me.

“What [Griffis] did in camp wasn’t an accident.”

What does camp matter at this point? We are a third of the way through the season! You just got handled by a bad Georgia Tech team, and should have lost to ODU. Elon gave us a little bit of trouble. All of the statistics show Griffis is extremely far from where he needs to be.

Kern better play awful if he does get into the game, or this whole thing is starting to seem strange.
This. All day this. Clawson is still relying on 80% completion in practice that ended a month ago after Griffis has put up the worst numbers in the conference against one of the worst schedules in the conference.

I’m tryoing to think of teams who broke in new quarterbacks and have had good elseasons and it’s not hard.

This. All day this. Clawson is still relying on 80% completion in practice that ended a month ago after Griffis has put up the worst numbers in the conference against one of the worst schedules in the conference.
I suspect the unspoken words are about Kern not being anywhere close to 80% completion percentage. Thus expecting him to shine when the bright lights are on is a long shot.

I suspect the unspoken words are about Kern not being anywhere close to 80% completion percentage. Thus expecting him to shine when the bright lights are on is a long shot.
Yet we know Griffis struggles when the lights aren't even that bright.

Back