• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should start next week?

Who should be Wake's Starting QB vs Indiana

• Wolford

Votes: 114 63.7%
  • Hinton

Votes: 56 31.3%
  • Kearns

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Doofus/Numbers

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters
Any official word on Wolford's injury? Just a sprain? Break? Amputation?

Heard he's getting a bionic leg today, "we can rebuild him."
ff562f_9dddd04facbdc187cae6b3d650e4275b.jpg

The 30 and under crowd are going ^^^^^ " WTF is that?"

I fear we are going to waste 2 of the best QBs we have ever had due to the inability to protect them. And it is not just the Oline, the backs are poor blockers as well. Maybe we need to use a TE as a fullback for increased protection and for screen passes?

We do that. We have a few FB packages, Pike comes in as a 2nd TE, and Cam is a short passing option at TE.

We do that. We have a few FB packages, Pike comes in as a 2nd TE, and Cam is a short passing option at TE.

You know since "the 2nd coming of Nikita Whitlock" Sheldon Lewison hasn't really worked out at DT, why not move him to fullback to help in blocking? I mean since we're throwing out off the wall stuff on this thread.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much Deacs FB this year until the Army game (saw live), but I think they have to get Hinton on the field. He was the most dynamic player by far for us that day, and probably the most I've seen in a couple years for Wake. The pass protection broke down so often, he made positive plays out of nothing several times. And I disagree that he threw poorly overall, he made some nice deep throws. His first pick he was hit while throwing. Will he make some mistakes? Yes, but he needs to see the field. The worst throw of the game was Wolford's pick - injured or not it was a bad decision, tons of guys near the receiver.

I don't know if you alternate a few series with Wolford or just start him until Wolford is fully healthy but you have to get your most athletic players on the field.

What do we have to lose? It's not like we are protecting a bowl game here.

I agree with Paddy. Let Hinton start and let Wolford completely heal. Seems like Wake finally has some receivers who can catch the ball. With Hinton's running ability it might open them up a bit more.

People are giving Hinton a pass on the interceptions because he was hit while throwing but Wolford has been hit on most, if not all, his interceptions.

Not giving a pass. But he can improvise better than Wolford and is FAST.

And the two huge completions the one to Brent was pure luck and the one to Cortez was all his athletic ability.

Hinton throws a great deep ball and he's got "it" that defenses can't deal with. I look forward to seeing his progression going forward.

Not exactly a hot take here, but my prediction is that Clawson will be very tight lipped about who will start this week. That will make Indiana have to prepare for both. That just makes sense, especially given that they have different skill sets. I expect Hinton to start as they try to get Wolford more time to recover. It sounds like the ankle was already in bad shape before the Army game and must be worse now. I'm also curious about whether Wolford has any other injuries. He looked physically broken when he left the field for the last time on Saturday.

Last edited:
People are giving Hinton a pass on the interceptions because he was hit while throwing but Wolford has been hit on most, if not all, his interceptions.

People are giving Hinton a pass because he engineered a win in his first real action. Based on opinions in this thread, he pulled close to even with a much improved 15 game starter in less than 3 quarters of work.

Hinton throws a great deep ball and he's got "it" that defenses can't deal with. I look forward to seeing his progression going forward.

And the staff has to ask whose progression they want to see. Could be a valuable year for Wolford or Hinton's growth.

And the two huge completions the one to Brent was pure luck and the one to Cortez was all his athletic ability.

on deep balls you have to get the ball in the area of the receiver and let the receiver go get it. Not sure how you say the Brent ball was lucky. You have to take chances down field and that pass gave Brent a chance. Cortez throw had good velo on it and it was a great catch by Cortez, catches that we have expected out of him.

LOL at people pointing to Wolford's one injured drive of the Army game to argue that he can't move the ball, while ignoring that Wolford threw for 323 (while running for 63) and 373 yards in our first two games, and was responsible for 386/591 yards while sitting out an entire quarter in a top 10 offensive game.

LOL at people pointing to Wolford's one injured drive of the Army game to argue that he can't move the ball, while ignoring that Wolford threw for 323 (while running for 63) and 373 yards in our first two games, and was responsible for 386/591 yards while sitting out an entire quarter in a top 10 offensive game.

Yeah I think like all fan bases, WF has fallen prey to "the next guy up is more exciting, cause he is the new guy". Just like everyone automatically thinking Newman is the QB of the future cause he is fresh on our minds and the recent hype.

Not taking anything away from Hinton, he did what he had to do to win and that's impressive. But the offense we want to run is the offense we put out there when Wolford is in, and that offense he and we run pretty well (top 35 good). That's not to say that as the season goes on you should make adjustments. I think Hinton played well enough to have some packages made for him occasionally as the season/game goes along. But a healthy Wolford is our guy.

The backup QB is always the most popular guy in town. After all, we do play our home games in the Wrigley Field of college football, so it's only fitting that we take on the persona of Bears fans as well.

What if Hinton had thrown a pick 6 at the end of the game to lose to Army? Army defender flat out dropped the ball.

What if Hinton had thrown a pick 6 at the end of the game to lose to Army? Army defender flat out dropped the ball.
Or if the DB had actually turned around on the Brent deep ball and at a minimum deflected it. That takes away 51 of the 159 yards through the air, as well as the set-up for the 15 yard TD run.

Back