• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why can't the left win?

not a surprise that the leftists dismiss any appeal to centrists as selling out

back to your regularly scheduled programming

A centrist was the nominee and lost. Just need a unifying candidate to win Whitehouse, now the State houses are a different matter, as is Congress.

what about the dumbass young black people that don't vote because their candidate isn't black?

They're probably felons and can't vote anyway.

an awful version of a centrist ran against a demagogue appealing directly to the disaffected white underclass who traditionally leaned left

the current solution is to berate said class

The analysis is different for winning the presidency and winning state legislatures/Congress.

There are no centrists to vote for anymore, moderate is dead. I don't want to give everyone free college, I also don't want to destroy the EPA but for some reason those are the options that are presented. Closer to moderate is the democrats but by being closer to the middle that in reality has a right shift the pussy far left liberals cry and whine and then stay home. If you want to talk about being a dumbass it's being a far left liberal and crying because you don't get your free college or healthcare or universal income and if you don't get that might as well stay home so instead of getting someone closer to your ideals you get the furthest possible thing.

Reactions: ONW
Not necessarily. Because each issue is so black and white on each side, swing votes come in when someone is white on one issue but black on another. So the ultimate vote is a weighing of the issues. It is pretty easy for someone to be for lower taxes and pro-choice. Or anti-immigration and pro-environment. So the priority of the issues determines the swing, not one issue itself.

Part of the reason the left lost is because they focused on prioritizing the wrong issues - like the lightening-strike probability of BLM's focus versus the massive issue of unemployment.

Hard to say the left didn't prioritize unemployment after the unemployment rate dropped dramatically during the Obama administration.

Racism isn't a "lightning strike" event.

If---and this we've come to learn is the height of insanity---we were to indulge in the fiction that the Left was capable of genuine introspection, this would be the starting point: if the ideas are as sound as you believe, who is the "hard to convert voter"?

The naive/mislead one who votes like a sports fan.

A Wisconsin woman:

“I voted for Obama too, because, I mean, there's always been a white person, obviously, in office. I mean, he was of African descent, so I voted for him thinking I would change a little bit of the race issues that we had going on and make the colored people feel better, like they have a black person in office.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/05/04/13-remarkable-quotes-from-people-who-voted-for-both-barack-obama-and-donald-trump/?utm_term=.276e868c93e4

There are no centrists to vote for anymore, moderate is dead. I don't want to give everyone free college, I also don't want to destroy the EPA but for some reason those are the options that are presented. Closer to moderate is the democrats but by being closer to the middle that in reality has a right shift the pussy far left liberals cry and whine and then stay home. If you want to talk about being a dumbass it's being a far left liberal and crying because you don't get your free college or healthcare or universal income and if you don't get that might as well stay home so instead of getting someone closer to your ideals you get the furthest possible thing.

This.

Boy, so much concern from these magnanimous conservatives!

Think of it as one neighbor watching with concern while another neighbor clumsily attempts a minor car repair. Neighbor #1 knows it's not his car and not really his business, but the car is going to occupy space on a public roadway, so there is something of a duty to the public to render aid.

Neighbor #2 doesn't know a lot about cars. He went to an expensive Top 27 private school, thinks soccer is a sport and cares deeply about being perceived as tolerant and sensitive to the feelings of others, above nearly any other concern. Anywho, Neighbor #1 glances over the property line when he hears the sound of clumsy banging as Neighbor #2 is attempting to manually drain the oil plug under the $60,000.00 car his grandparents bought for him, unaware he's actually attempting to turn a welded bolt on the body frame of the car, nowhere near the actual oil pan. But he's read the article from The Atlantic on how to change your own oil, and damn-it, he's an expert.

After about an hour of struggling with the wrong tool on the wrong part, Neighbor #2 emerges from beneath the vehicle dejected. Neighbor #1 asks if he can help, and Neighbor #2 replies, "And do what? This car has been obviously sabotaged by the Russians. The lazy, shiftless rube who sold it to me has no idea what he's doing. Obviously, this country needs smarter car retailers."

It's almost exactly like that.

+1 It's time to let Doug Masters turn his cassette tape on.

So anyone want to argue "swing voters" aren't complete fucking morons after reading those quotes. Weeeee America Fuck Yeah!!!

Think of it as one neighbor watching with concern while another neighbor clumsily attempts a minor car repair. Neighbor #1 knows it's not his car and not really his business, but the car is going to occupy space on a public roadway, so there is something of a duty to the public to render aid.

Neighbor #2 doesn't know a lot about cars. He went to an expensive Top 27 private school, thinks soccer is a sport and cares deeply about being perceived as tolerant and sensitive to the feelings of others, above nearly any other concern. Anywho, Neighbor #1 glances over the property line when he hears the sound of clumsy banging as Neighbor #2 is attempting to manually drain the oil plug under the $60,000.00 car his grandparents bought for him, unaware he's actually attempting to turn a welded bolt on the body frame of the car, nowhere near the actual oil pan. But he's read the article from The Atlantic on how to change your own oil, and damn-it, he's an expert.

After about an hour of struggling with the wrong tool on the wrong part, Neighbor #2 emerges from beneath the vehicle dejected. Neighbor #1 asks if he can help, and Neighbor #2 replies, "And do what? This car has been obviously sabotaged by the Russians. The lazy, shiftless rube who sold it to me has no idea what he's doing. Obviously, this country needs smarter car retailers."

That sir is uncalled for.

giphy.gif

You know who will eat that shitty scenario sandwich up, bkf. It's nice that jhmd can come along and feed bkf the substance he's needs to survive. In turn bkf is the it just takes one scenario, nobody else laughed but he got his one so is encouraged to keep on making those shit sandwiches because bkf will keep eating.

Agreed. My analogy (may not be a good one) is you order a pizza and are really hungry. You want to eat the whole thing but there is a piece missing. You then decide to throw the pizza away because you can't eat the whole thing and instead choose to eat nothing.

We are never going to get the right elected officials until the only people who vote are Wake Forest graduates....and not those graduates from that other Wake Forest, either, but only this new Wake Forest that is a National Top 25 University. It should be obvious to everyone by now that all other voters are simply unqualified to cast an intelligent vote.

Back