• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why I don't respect this board

I am not justifying what other people have said, more pointing out the hypocrisy of those who support [Redacted] and his myriad of excuses and then post stupid threads like this.

These threads are my second favorite, close behind the "Screw you guys, I'm never posting here again" ilk.

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2013/4/4/4180636/adversity-only-makes-daniel-green-stronger

For Daniel Green, Wake Forest’s starting center, the season was over before it started.
Green worked tirelessly in the offseason, spending double-sessions on the basketball court and in the gym. He improved his shooting range past the foul line and gained 15 to 20 pounds of muscle. At the Triad Pro-Am in the summer, Green looked like a completely different player. He dominated the interior offensively and defensively, helping his team win the championship.
Many fans and media members predicted a breakout year for Green, but three weeks before opening night, his year was finished. Head coach Jeff [Redacted] said to the Winston-Salem Journal, “I just feel so bad for the young man because he had worked so hard. Life happens, as we all know in sports.”
The Demon Deacons finished 13-18, tied for 10[SUP]th[/SUP] in the ACC. Their biggest flaw? They lacked the frontcourt size and strength that Green provides, finishing 261[SUP]st[/SUP] in the nation with 32.5 rebounds a game.
For individual goals, he kept using the word “breakthrough.” But for people that know Green, this would come as no surprise.

Because people that know Daniel Green expect him to break through.

I think we win a couple more games with DG last year. Obviously, on a team as bad as Wake the difference between 15-16 and 13-18 doesn't really matter.

I think we win a couple more games with DG last year. Obviously, on a team as bad as Wake the difference between 15-16 and 13-18 doesn't really matter to reasonable fans, but a season near or above .500 may give Wellman the backing to give Bz an extension.

Fixed.

I think we win a couple more games with DG last year. Obviously, on a team as bad as Wake the difference between 15-16 and 13-18 doesn't really matter.

Except for later this year; when/if our team were to finish 15-16, RW and his minions claim that we have achieved "historical competitiveness" and renew Buzz's contract.

(ETA - Man you have to be quick! Ph beat me to it...)

Last edited:
Ehhhhh I kind of see his point here...

Putting up billboards that slam a coach and the AD and all that stuff - we really suck, so it happens. Fans are going to be fans, and it speaks to how much people care about Wake even when it's ugly. But those guys are getting paid millions.

Historically there's been some back-and-forth on this board when player critiques get personal. And that's actually based on poor play or a lack of effort (or at least perceived effort) fans see on the floor. Daniel's done nothing but rehab and by all reports work his ass off to be able to play for Wake, and from personal experience the grind of coming back from surgery is simply miserable. I can't imagine how deflating it has to be for him to still be fighting it with another season in question.

I get that [Redacted] invoking Green to explain why Cav had to play the 5 and saying it threw off our rotation is mock-worthy since he did the recruiting and any way you slice it we were going to be razor thin inside. We all know he was lucky as hell Devin didn't foul more. I'd much prefer he just say "we're not deep enough in the front court and that's my responsibility" and leave it at that.

The constant mocking of Daniel, hang it, all-ACC, savior talk - all that bullshit... It's pretty pathetic and completely unfair to the kid. It puts him in a no-win situation because when/if he does come back and puts up 4 points in 15 minutes his first game, he'll be tied to the [Redacted] hate as the board continues trying to mock our way to a new coach.

The administration and coaching staff is embarrassing the school enough at this point. No need for the fanbase to do the same.

Your criticism is misplaced. For anyone to mock Daniel Green, he would have to have done something for us to mock. We all saw Daniel Green's freshman year and remember his limitations then. No one is disparaging (outside of tags) Green for being who he is, or for getting hurt. If anyone's being mocked, it's the few remaining sunshiners who've talked up Green's rehab like Lectro talks up every football recruit.

Just to clarify, any fan/media member/coach who continually tries to highlight the positive aspects of our current basketball program is going to be mocked; that's been bared out multiple times in the last few years. So 1 or 2 articles and posts proclaiming D. Green to have put on 15 pounds of muscle and dominated the summer league turned into "hang it".

Last edited:
I guess I just don't see what there is to criticize coaches/players/fans for when we obviously lacked front court depth and one of the major reasons was a 6'10" guy who had packed on a decent amount of muscle was out for the year. There are so many things to dislike about the program/[Redacted]/whatever, but I don't think one of them is that a player who would have been helpful wasn't able to play for the entire seasons.

I agree with DC and TITSWF.

The way I look at it is that DG would certainly not have hurt the team at 6-foot-10, 230-pounds.

I happen to believe the same thing as Ish, and that he would have been a very nice asset because he serves an area of need for us. It's nearly impossible to guess what he would have averaged on how many games that he would have helped us win, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he could have given us 5 points and 4-5 boards a game last year.

That could have been the difference in a game or two.

I think with a marginally competent coach we would have won 17-19 games with the players we had.

Your criticism is misplaced. For anyone to mock Daniel Green, he would have to have done something for us to mock. We all saw Daniel Green's freshman year and remember his limitations then. No one is disparaging (outside of tags) Green for being who he is, or for getting hurt. If anyone's being mocked, it's the few remaining sunshiners who've talked up Green's rehab like Lectro talks up every football recruit.

I really don't think this has happened very much. People said if he breaks through it wouldn't be too surprising and that he has worked hard to get back to healthy.

Just to clarify, any fan/media member/coach who continually tries to highlight the positive aspects of our current basketball program is going to be mocked; that's been bared out multiple times in the last few years. So 1 or 2 articles and posts proclaiming D. Green to have put on 15 pounds of muscle and dominated the summer league turned into "hang it".

I don't think anybody ever really said he was dominating the league, and he did gain 10-15 pounds of muscle, that's pretty much just a factual statement. BabyDeac said something to the effect last year, Daniel himself said he thought he had put on about 8-10 pounds of muscle at summer league, and his dad posted a couple times on here that he weighed in 10-15 pounds heavier after the summer lifting session.

People are free to jump on what they want, but it makes the fanbase look petty and small to continue to fight this "Daniel Green is our lord and savior" when the majority of the fuel for this is contorting what coaches/players are saying in the first place. Nobody said Daniel Green was an all-acc performer (that I'm aware of) or that we would have made the tournament with him, [Redacted] has engaged in coach-speak (the same kind of coach-speak everyone attributed to the anonymous football coach thread when Grobe and Wake were being complemented).

I don't think anybody ever really said he was dominating the league,

"At the Triad Pro-Am in the summer, Green looked like a completely different player. He dominated the interior offensively and defensively, helping his team win the championship."

Back