• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why I don't respect this board

The way I look at it is that DG would certainly not have hurt the team at 6-foot-10, 230-pounds.

I happen to believe the same thing as Ish, and that he would have been a very nice asset because he serves an area of need for us. It's nearly impossible to guess what he would have averaged on how many games that he would have helped us win, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he could have given us 5 points and 4-5 boards a game last year.

That could have been the difference in a game or two.

#assets. /endthread

"At the Triad Pro-Am in the summer, Green looked like a completely different player. He dominated the interior offensively and defensively, helping his team win the championship."

Well to that I will channel dv7 and say it was glorified pick up and note that anybody who is relatively tall does very well in the pro am. Point remains though that he did look better and was going to contribute

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2013/4/4/4180636/adversity-only-makes-daniel-green-stronger

For Daniel Green, Wake Forest’s starting center, the season was over before it started.
Green worked tirelessly in the offseason, spending double-sessions on the basketball court and in the gym. He improved his shooting range past the foul line and gained 15 to 20 pounds of muscle. At the Triad Pro-Am in the summer, Green looked like a completely different player. He dominated the interior offensively and defensively, helping his team win the championship.
Many fans and media members predicted a breakout year for Green, but three weeks before opening night, his year was finished. Head coach Jeff [Redacted] said to the Winston-Salem Journal, “I just feel so bad for the young man because he had worked so hard. Life happens, as we all know in sports.”
The Demon Deacons finished 13-18, tied for 10[SUP]th[/SUP] in the ACC. Their biggest flaw? They lacked the frontcourt size and strength that Green provides, finishing 261[SUP]st[/SUP] in the nation with 32.5 rebounds a game.
For individual goals, he kept using the word “breakthrough.” But for people that know Green, this would come as no surprise.

Because people that know Daniel Green expect him to break through.

LoL

Well to that I will channel dv7 and say it was glorified pick up and note that anybody who is relatively tall does very well in the pro am. Point remains though that he did look better and was going to contribute

No, that point doesn't remain because it was a glorified pick up game.

No, that point doesn't remain because it was a glorified pick up game.

You can tell when someone has improved with their ball skills though. And buckets it's not like I wrote that or anything, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to be honest I don't remember reading that article. Mundy writes a lot of stuff I don't agree with.

I wasn't laughing at you, I was just laughing at the article

You can tell when someone has improved with their ball skills though. And buckets it's not like I wrote that or anything, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to be honest I don't remember reading that article. Mundy writes a lot of stuff I don't agree with.

Furthermore after reading that article it's exactly what I'm pointing to with regards to what is actually said by people. Green had a chance to come back strong and contribute. He would help the team out and maybe he would break through. For me green breaking through would be averaging 7 and 5

Regardless of who the sweet joke of “The Legend of Daniel Green” is actually intended to target (Buzz, Wellman, sunshine, photosynthesis), Daniel is still the butt of the joke. All he has done is work to better himself, and in the process hopefully better this team, suffering a major and frustrating setback in that process.

The “jokes” are admittedly intended to be mean-spirited and/or mocking, with Daniel merely cannon fodder in the equation. For someone who may not completely follow all of the nuances of OGBoards humor but comes here because (fortunately or unfortunately) this is largely the only active board for discussion of Wake Forest athletics, seeing a thread appearing to outwardly mock one of our current players would likely be confusing at a minimum. It’s neither clever nor productive. Liking Daniel Green or being hopeful about his ability to contribute does not have to equate to aligning oneself with either “brigade.” He’s not the problem.

There are so many other things wrong with this entire situation right now. “Jokes” like these shouldn’t be one of them.

A break through is becoming a mediocre player?

I consider break throughs to all be relevant to the skill set at the beginning. You think he's not an acc caliber player so breaking through for him at 7 and 5 would be pretty good right?

No, those would still be mediocre numbers no matter who put them up.

A break through, to me, is somebody that comes out of relatively nowhere to make the All-ACC teams.

A break through is becoming a mediocre player?

For a 2.5-star center who came in weighing under 200-pounds at 6'10? I've been guilty of over-hyping Daniel Green quite a bit in the past, but I don't think anybody has ever had outlandish expectations for him. Except for Wellman and Buzz.

No one is disparaging (outside of tags) Green for being who he is, or for getting hurt..

You can't be serious.

dis·par·age
1. To speak of in a slighting or disrespectful way; belittle.
2. To reduce in esteem or rank.

There's a post seeking an update on the status of his injury. First reply "Hang it!" 2nd replay about his Naismith award. Then there's a video of Shaq highlights calling them him. Then someone pretends to not know who he is.

I mean, c'mon. Argue it's justified or something but to argue that nobody is disparaging Daniel is laughable.

You can't be serious.

dis·par·age

There's a post seeking an update on the status of his injury. First reply "Hang it!" 2nd replay about his Naismith award. Then there's a video of Shaq highlights calling them him. Then someone pretends to not know who he is.

I mean, c'mon. Argue it's justified or something but to argue that nobody is disparaging Daniel is laughable.

How is me posting a video of Shaq disparaging Daniel? I have seen several people post that, and I can't figure it out. If someone posted a video of Ray Allen last summer and said they got a video of CJ Harris working out this summer would that have been disparaging? If anything I was poking fun at both sides without really disparaging anyone.

I posted a video of the greatest center of our generation and clearly as a joke claimed it was Daniel playing pickup. I just don't see that as disparaging. I will never rip a college player, especially not one that has battled injury and is still attempting to reach his potential. I might rip a superstar like Lebron or Kobe for being pricks, but that is because they are grown men who have made a bagillion dollars quite precisely because they are incredible at what they do.

But I don't appreciate the idea that I was disparaging Daniel. I certainly was not, and I don't think Green would see it as such. I think if he saw that he would chuckle a bit and then move on to whatever he was doing.

I can speak for myself and say that I am 100% on the Daniel Green bandwagon, and want him to be a great player for Wake. I have no idea how good he will be, but I hope he is great.

You can't be serious.

dis·par·age

Disparaging, or telling the truth about him in a funny way? No one is making less of him. His lack of accomplishments here is pretty obvious, but no one (to my knowledge) is faulting him for that.

More offensive than a lot of the "jokes" at Daniel's expense is some posters' absurd (and frankly, hypocritical) moralizing. I'm sometimes kind of shocked that some on here are able to function in the outside world.

There is nothing to see here. Seriously. Get over it, and let's worry about more important stuff.

Everybody on this board likes Daniel and is cheering for him, supporting him in his continued development on the basketball court, in his recovery from his knee injuries, and in the classroom.

Regardless of who the sweet joke of “The Legend of Daniel Green” is actually intended to target (Buzz, Wellman, sunshine, photosynthesis), Daniel is still the butt of the joke. All he has done is work to better himself, and in the process hopefully better this team, suffering a major and frustrating setback in that process.

The “jokes” are admittedly intended to be mean-spirited and/or mocking, with Daniel merely cannon fodder in the equation. For someone who may not completely follow all of the nuances of OGBoards humor but comes here because (fortunately or unfortunately) this is largely the only active board for discussion of Wake Forest athletics, seeing a thread appearing to outwardly mock one of our current players would likely be confusing at a minimum. It’s neither clever nor productive. Liking Daniel Green or being hopeful about his ability to contribute does not have to equate to aligning oneself with either “brigade.” He’s not the problem.

There are so many other things wrong with this entire situation right now. “Jokes” like these shouldn’t be one of them.

Thought this was a very good post. Green may not be the target but the jokes are at his expense.

Oh it's definitely disparaging, but if you are here enough then you know that it's just the type of thing that goes around.

People aren't laughing at Daniel, they are just using him as more evidence for their overall point that we are in bad shape right now.

It sucks, and if he found his way to this thread I doubt he would find it humorous at all.

C'est la vie. I wish it wasn't this way, but when you are as bad as we are, people resort to things that aren't actually funny to make themselves feel better.

Back