• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

If that contract buyout is accurate I would keep Manning for the complete term and set up a windowless office with no phone and internet in the basement of Reynolda.

Precisely. LOL. Keep him on the payroll as a 'special assistant to the AD.' Even at a private school, he can be Re-Assigned.

We have the money - hire Shaka, Oats, Miller maybe Odom.

Ask DM to do stuff like "volunteer at the women's football camp" and "help run summer basketball camp" or "pancake supper - feed the students during finals." Within 6 months, he will get the message.

Most normal people will get the message in about 6 minutes, but give him 6 months, since I do not think he will understand for a while. College administrators turn down all sorts of community stuff every week (unfortunately) so Danny seems like the guy for that.

unfortunately, i'm pretty sure that's called Constructive Firing and is illegal

If you're a power conference school that has to promote an assistant internally because you guaranteed your failed coach too much money, then just shut the damn program down.

Might as well cuz ain't nobody comin' to your games next year save for the following: oblivious townies who have no inclination to know what is going on in the AD, complicit, influence-hungry morons who keep aiding and abetting this administration and those pollyannish souls who just can't seem to think that Wake would ever let such incompetence and out and out brain-bending negligence become the reason for this program's demise. Hell, death. Our Wake, and Now Our Funeral of Hope.

Thanks Ron! You dolt.

So are the complete naysayers of the original Goodman buyout report starting to realize, "Shit, he may have been close, if not dead on"? Wellman is a fucking moron.

BC keeping Jim Christian makes me even more sure we are keeping DM.

can i request a self-ban if manning isn't fired? i don't want to be tempted to come back here if he is still the coach.

BC keeping Jim Christian makes me even more sure we are keeping DM.

giphy.gif

If you're a power conference school that has to promote an assistant internally because you guaranteed your failed coach too much money, then just shut the damn program down.

When will people learn that this is EXACTLY what Wellman did 10 years ago. HE shut the program down when he hired Bz. It's just that people won't get the hint and still keep coming to games, and buying merchandise. He even double down by hiring Manning. Yet even after 3 years of 20 losses (and one with 19!) people still come to games and pretend that Wake has a basketball program.

So are the complete naysayers of the original Goodman buyout report starting to realize, "Shit, he may have been close, if not dead on"? Wellman is a fucking moron.

If we don't fire him, then yes absolutely. No other reason to keep him other than a massive buyout that made no sense.

If he is retained, I'm not sure we have the right guy in Currie. I know it's Wellman's disaster and mind-numbing negotiation skills, but if Currie goes along with it--just like he's going along with this ridiculous May 1 shtick-- we have a serious problem.

I don't think he understands the uproar that he will have to deal with if Danny is kept.

When will people learn that this is EXACTLY what Wellman did 10 years ago. HE shut the program down when he hired Bz. It's just that people won't get the hint and still keep coming to games, and buying merchandise. He even double down by hiring Manning. Yet even after 3 years of 20 losses (and one with 19!) people still come to games and pretend that Wake has a basketball program.

I mean sure, very few people. Did you see the crowds this year? It was embarrassing how few people were there. Would imagine that would go down even more if Danny is retained.

If Currie knew the buyout was too big an obstacle, perhaps he is as much of a moron as Ron Wellman. Definitely might as well shut it down if they just stand pat.

We'll see if these supposed big money donors are just chumps or real power-players who can make shit happen. I'm not counting on it.

If our new coach only creates enough new interest in the program to get 2500 more people to attend games and the average person spends $50 on tickets, parking and concessions, it would deliver to us about $2,000,000 in additional revenue. That would come close to covering Danny's one year buyout costs.

I still have faith he is going to be gone.

But, did anyone do the research on the power 5 coaches with the worst records after 4-5 years to still be retained? I would love to see those numbers. His retention could be unprecedented.

I looked for a list for a few minutes. They keep better records of winning coaches than losing coaches.

It was always a weird take. “That moron AD I want fired isn’t THAT big of a moron!”

If our new coach only creates enough new interest in the program to get 2500 more people to attend games and the average person spends $50 on tickets, parking and concessions, it would deliver to us about $2,000,000 in additional revenue. That would come close to covering Danny's one year buyout costs.

This is what I’m thinking. Hiring a competent coach, or at least trying to, will cover millions of the cost of his buyout over the next few years, and depending on the level of success could realistically cover it completely. If you retain him you’re just doubling your losses. It makes no business sense to retain him no matter how much his buyout is.

I hate that Goodman knows so much about our program while simultaneously being the largest duke sycophant among hoops reporters

Back