• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why isn't the basketball team good?

The fraud of the WFU athletic department has tried to lead all of us to believe the basketball team is good. In reality, they have been historically uncompetitive the last 4 years. Frankly, one of the worst basketball programs in the ACC, ever.

Seems to me that Clawson said one of the reasons he wanted the Wake job was to work for Ron Wellman, guess that is because he treats football coaches better than basketball coaches.

Seems to me that Clawson said one of the reasons he wanted the Wake job was to work for Ron Wellman, guess that is because he treats football coaches better than basketball coaches.

I'll take "Things new coaches always say at their presser for 500, Alex."

Because we cannot shoot free throws or three pointers or rebound (especially on the offensive end) or score down low consistently or defend the 3...or score more points than we allow.

Some people with misguided priorities still insist that only players who can read should be recruited. Those silly people just don't understand that what is important here is winning basketball games...not having players waste their time with trivial things like going to class. We need to lower academic standards. Better yet, just eliminate them....for top basketball recruits, anyway. If you are going to be a whore, you might as well be a good one.

this guy gets it

Some people with misguided priorities still insist that only players who can read should be recruited. Those silly people just don't understand that what is important here is winning basketball games...not having players waste their time with trivial things like going to class. We need to lower academic standards. Better yet, just eliminate them....for top basketball recruits, anyway. If you are going to be a whore, you might as well be a good one.

No. No one has said that.

Essentially what it comes down to is two things:

1. If we want to compete in the ACC, we should have similar academic standards to the stated academic standards at other ACC schools we compete with. We play in a conference that includes academically recognized institutions like Duke, UVA, UNC* and Georgia Tech. It shouldn't be hard.

2. In our history, we have had different approaches to recruiting at different times. The first I'll call the Skip Prosser apporach, where we try to get the most talented players we can. We are willing to take a chance on a kid who may have some issues if we believe that we can mold that kid into a "Wake Forest person" through superior leadership and mentorship. The second approach I'll call the [ ] approach. Under this approach, we recruit solely based on character with little regard for ability, with the idea that they are already good so we don't need to bother providing mentorship. The vast majority of Wake Forest fans under the age of 65 subscribe to the former approach. If a kid is really ready to go to the NBA early, great - we have just provided a spring board to a successful professional career and life (isn't that the goal of college?). If the kid is going to be a cancer and be all about himself, jump at the first opportunity ready or not and treat his time in college that way, we probably aren't interested. Nobody is advocating that the school sell its soul.

* Note that I said "stated" academic standards. I am not suggesting we cheat like UNC.

58d38fcd1fd4173b0028a11d06beb247.jpg

Back