• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why isn't the basketball team good?

The most revered WF coach on this board evidently didn't think that defense was important....and his teams reflected that sentiment on the court. However, if you dare criticize that coach for this obvious deficiency, many posters on this board go batshit crazy.

Bob Knight has the self control of a 9 year old.

The most revered WF coach on this board evidently didn't think that defense was important....and his teams reflected that sentiment on the court. However, if you dare criticize that coach for this obvious deficiency, many posters on this board go batshit crazy.

who goes batshit crazy?

Back to Skip. He had many virtues but teaching and getting great defense from his teams were not among them. Paradoxically he got effort, as in good rebounding effort, but not effective defensive effort. Go figure. He needed an outstanding point guard to make his coaching virtues effective and to hide his deficiencies. He was a great representative of the university, who had a pretty good influence on his players. We will always miss Skip Prosser the man and his natural gift for public relations.

LOL. Sailor, you know me very well....since we were suitemates at WF. You have the same deep appreciation for Coach Knight that I have....and that anyone who appreciates the game of basketball as it was meant to be played has. I do not choose to discuss Coach Knight's many "media-sensationalized stories" with posters on this board for the same reason that Coach Knight said that he didn't care to discuss basketball with Purdue's George King in this hilarious episode frm one of his TV shows at IU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdm4Oi1YRZY

"He seemed to think that we wanted to have a debate or something. If I wanted to enter a debate, I would do it with someone who knew a little about what he was talking about."

Sailor would you cheer for Bob Knight's team against your own son?

Sailor would you cheer for Bob Knight's team against your own son?

No, but sometimes people use hyperbole in arguments, and I think that's what bkf was doing. Bob Knight was a great coach, the best of his era, and is now the best college basketball commentator on the tube. Pretty good for a guy who didn't want to give me his autograph when I was just a school kid. We were playing our usual pick up games in the school yard after school, when rumors started circulating that the then national champion OSU Buckeyes were practicing in the high school gym (Grandview Heights HS) right next door. The pick-up game was over, and we headed for the gym. And yes they were all in there practicing Jerry Lucas, John Havlichek, Mel Noel, et al. After the prctice we kids waited for them eagerly with pencils and paper to exit the locker room and then besieged them for autographs. They were all very nice and obliging to me but this one guy, who said, "Aw kid, you don't want my autograph, I'm just the coach." Earnestly, I insisted I wanted it anyway. So, he finally stopped, took the paper and signed his name. It was Bob Knight.

And as many also like to point out here, Bob Kinight is also a flawed human being.

No, but sometimes people use hyperbole in arguments, and I think that's what bkf was doing.

No, he wasn't. He's been asked to clarify multiple times and he's always chosen Bobby over his boy. He's sick.

No, but sometimes people use hyperbole in arguments, and I think that's what bkf was doing. Bob Knight was a great coach, the best of his era, and is now the best college basketball commentator on the tube. Pretty good for a guy who didn't want to give me his autograph when I was just a school kid. We were playing our usual pick up games in the school yard after school, when rumors started circulating that the then national champion OSU Buckeyes were practicing in the high school gym (Grandview Heights HS) right next door. The pick-up game was over, and we headed for the gym. And yes they were all in there practicing Jerry Lucas, John Havlichek, Mel Noel, et al. After the prctice we kids waited for them eagerly with pencils and paper to exit the locker room and then besieged them for autographs. They were all very nice and obliging to me but this one guy, who said, "Aw kid, you don't want my autograph, I'm just the coach." Earnestly, I insisted I wanted it anyway. So, he finally stopped, took the paper and signed his name. It was Bob Knight.

And as many also like to point out here, Bob Kinight is also a flawed human being.

WHY DO YOU LIE?!?!?!?!?

I'm not sure that I'll ever give another penny to Wake Forest Athletics after seeing that video. Facepalm

Honestly, it made the case to join the Wake Forest Bag Man Club to cut out the expensive middle men who need private jets to fly all over the country.

Didn't mention all that ACC money either.

LOL. Sailor, you know me very well....since we were suitemates at WF. You have the same deep appreciation for Coach Knight that I have....and that anyone who appreciates the game of basketball as it was meant to be played has. I do not choose to discuss Coach Knight's many "media-sensationalized stories" with posters on this board for the same reason that Coach Knight said that he didn't care to discuss basketball with Purdue's George King in this hilarious episode frm one of his TV shows at IU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdm4Oi1YRZY

"He seemed to think that we wanted to have a debate or something. If I wanted to enter a debate, I would do it with someone who knew a little about what he was talking about."

So you choose not to defend what is indefensible. That is either very wise or very stupid.

I love the "appreciates the way basketball was meant to be played", so like with a peach basket and a soccer ball? Also no dribbling, God of course the bkf wet dream, all passing all the time.

Wait, so you are against other defensive and offensive philosophies? Seriously? Like a zone concept is not good for basketball?

Actually, what I meant by that was basketball the way that Bob Knight & Coach K's teams play it: The motion offense with multiple screens, solid man-to-man defense with good help-side defensive techniques....and a team-oriented approach that disdains a bunch of individualistic show-boat stunts for SportsCenter.

That kind of basketball has worked pretty well for those two guys: 7 NCAA Championships, 16 Final Fours, 24 Conference Championships, and 1,885 Total Wins.

yes, but all the other kinds have won all the other championships ;)

You miss the point entirely....which is that there is no purpose served by discussing something with someone who has no idea what he is talking about. And that is exactly the case with just about everyone on this board who tries to talk about the situation with Bob Knight in Puerto Rico....for just one example.

In other words- "I don't understand the question. And I won't respond to it."

Back