• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Some of Y'all Talk Funny

What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?

"The devil is beating his wife" :rofl: What the hell?? And it's around Alabama and Mississippi. That's about the only part of that which makes sense.

I like how the area around Atlanta reflects a divergence with the rest of the South.

I actually really enjoyed the Brew Thru map.

We definitely called them beer barns where I grew up though.

"The devil is beating his wife" :rofl: What the hell?? And it's around Alabama and Mississippi. That's about the only part of that which makes sense.

I like how the area around Atlanta reflects a divergence with the rest of the South.

Seriously. This is just bizarre.

It never occurred to me that Mary/merry/marry weren't distinct words.

We used to say the Devil is beating his wife where I grew up in North Carolina.

I grew up always hearing that phrase from my great grandfather in North Carolina. I know my parents and sister know it, but not sure that my cousins know the phrase.

It never occurred to me that Mary/merry/marry weren't distinct words.

It never occurred to me that they could be distinct words. I can't even figure out how you would pronounce them differently.

RJ is a NJ jew? That's who differentiates marry merry Mary

It's like mairey, merry, Mahry

SEER-up and hoagie FTMFW

Mary rhymes with fairy
Merry rhymes with berry
Marry rhymes with Harry

Come on people!

SEER-up and hoagie FTMFW

Mary rhymes with fairy
Merry rhymes with berry
Marry rhymes with Harry

Come on people!

Great explanation. I think I differentiate somewhat after living in sNJ for 8 years but couldn't really describe it well.

There is a lot of vowel distinction in that area. When I moved to NJ from OK I didn't differentiate between "pen" and "pin" and people noticed/commented on it a lot.

Fairy, berry and Harry are all prounced the same too. I don't understand.

I heard this phrase growing up...mostly from my grandmother who grew up in Eastern NC. I heard her say it about two weeks ago.

There is a lot of vowel distinction in that area. When I moved to NJ from OK I didn't differentiate between "pen" and "pin" and people noticed/commented on it a lot.

there was a girl from eastern NC in my freshman hall who had no differentiation between pen, pin or pan.

So what does it even mean? What's the metaphorical meaning to the devil beating his wife and raining while it's sunny?

I've probably told this story before but when I was doing home visits to do developmental assessments on babies one part of the test was to see if they could identify body parts. I asked the little girl I was working with to show me her belly button and her mom instructed her to "show me where the Yankees shot her". Hadn't heard that one before. I had visions of being shot at as I left the property in my car with Jersey plates.

Back