• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Some of Y'all Talk Funny

Syrup, hoagie and sneakers places me in a pretty confined (and accurate) area

Yeah, i say Mary/merry
/marry all te same but do recognize that other people say them differently (and why). Same with Aaron and Erin. I say them the same, but get that they're different.

I have never heard anyone pronounds any of those differently. I can't even imagine what such things sound like.

My friends mom, who is from Long Island, tried to teach me the difference between Erin/Aaron. Erin = air-in Aaron = aah-ron. Blew my mind, I still can't do it.

She'd probably say merry = mair-y, marry = Maaaarry (with the a having the same aa sound as apple), and Mary as almost mah-ry.

I am sitting at my desk trying to say these different Ms and it is absurdly hard to do.

I don't understand the pen/pin thing. Do you think hen and win rhyme?

I can force myself to say merry and marry differently, but I don't know how to differentiate marry and Mary.

I am sitting at my desk trying to say these different Ms and it is absurdly hard to do.

Yeah, I was more or less talking to myself on the train as I tried to figure out how to phonetically spell them.

I don't say Mary and marry very different but merry is more of an e sound. If I do Mary/marry different the only way I can describe it is the 'a' in marry is a bit airier.

I don't say Mary and marry very different but merry is more of an e sound. If I do Mary/marry different the only way I can describe it is the 'a' in marry is a bit airier.

Like meh-ry vs mare-y?

I find the mayo one fascinating. I thought people only said it with 3 syllables as a joke.

Mary, like Cary
Merry, like berry, or John Kerry
Marry, stuck on this one

everyone trying to explain this is funny...Cary and Kerry are the same to me...and Berry rhymes with fairy rhymes with Harry

actually just went through the link with the maps, and I'm from NJ so that may explain why I hear them as different :noidea:

Definitely it. I am such a strange mix of sNJ and the south.

everyone trying to explain this is funny...Cary and Kerry are the same to me...and Berry rhymes with fairy rhymes with Harry

I agree.

Note to the explainers: giving us other words that are pronounced the same as the three Ms is not going to help. We also pronounce those like we do the three Ms. The three Ms are just an illustration of how we pronounce that entire family of sounds.

Back