• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Some of Y'all Talk Funny

SEER-up and hoagie FTMFW

Mary rhymes with fairy
Merry rhymes with berry
Marry rhymes with Harry

Come on people!

This doesn't help at all to people who say the three Ms the same... fairy berry and Harry all rhyme too for those of us who don't differentiate the Ms.

yeah pan definitely was different but I just said "pin" for everything. There it is "pehn" and "pin". Makes sense but I had never thought about it.

On the other hand I also said "crown" until I moved there.

I found the map to be pretty spot on from me (from Richmond). We also just tested LadyDeacToy (who's from NJ) and he does indeed pronounce "Mary" and "Merry" differently. (although "Marry" he says similarly to "Mary").

The Lawyer one is funny too. I def say law-yer. I have a lot of friends from up north from law school who say it so differently.

My mom also said her mom used to say "the devil is beating his wife" and she grew up in Blackstone, VA. We were just discussing what that even means. No idea.

A lot of Eastern NC hate here. Yes, I have heard the term, "The devil is beating his wife" when it's raining while the sun is out. No, I don't use it. I pronounce, pen, pin and pan all differently. Merry, Mary, and marry are all different. No, not everyone from Eastern NC is a backwards idiot.

A lot of Eastern NC hate here. Yes, I have heard the term, "The devil is beating his wife" when it's raining while the sun is out. No, I don't use it. I pronounce, pen, pin and pan all differently. Merry, Mary, and marry are all different. No, not everyone from Eastern NC is a backwards idiot.

I haven't seen any hate for rural areas of NC (I am from western NC and don't make any of the distinctions you just said you made) on here, just a discussion of how people speak. No one is calling anyone a backwoods idiot either. Sounds to me like you don't speak like where you are from though.

I love how most of Maryland pronounces bowie knife different than everybody else. Instead of David Bowie we use the Bowie, Maryland pronounciation

I have always said it based on David Bowie because I loved Davy Crockett as a kid and thereby read a lot about the Alamo.

I still don't know the difference between Mary/merry/marry and I had someone explain it to me and speak the words differently. Mary/merry/marry/berry/fairy/Harry all six rhyme.

I say pin and pen as the same. Pan is a completely different word though.

I have always said it based on David Bowie because I loved Davy Crockett as a kid and thereby read a lot about the Alamo.

based on context, I think you mean Jim Bowie... which is the correct pronunciation.

Last edited:
I'm from eastern NC and definitely say the devil is beating his wife. And I can't even wrap my head around how you'd pronounce Mary/merry/marry differently.

I'm from eastern NC and definitely say the devil is beating his wife. And I can't even wrap my head around how you'd pronounce Mary/merry/marry differently.

My friends mom, who is from Long Island, tried to teach me the difference between Erin/Aaron. Erin = air-in Aaron = aah-ron. Blew my mind, I still can't do it.

She'd probably say merry = mair-y, marry = Maaaarry (with the a having the same aa sound as apple), and Mary as almost mah-ry.

My friends mom, who is from Long Island, tried to teach me the difference between Erin/Aaron. Erin = air-in Aaron = aah-ron. Blew my mind, I still can't do it.

She'd probably say merry = mair-y, marry = Maaaarry (with the a having the same aa sound as apple), and Mary as almost mah-ry.

Erin and Aaron are the same thing. Did make me thing of this though: http://vimeo.com/55494052

Oh yeah, totally a difference between Aaron and Erin. I worked with both an Aaron and Erin so distinguishing was necessary.

Yeah, i say Mary/merry
/marry all te same but do recognize that other people say them differently (and why). Same with Aaron and Erin. I say them the same, but get that they're different.

Back