• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why was Dino fired?

Nevertheless, I'm not interested in hearing that shit. The people who are so hell-bent to recruit players who can't wait to leave once they get here had better be damned-well ready to have replacements for them. That's the way that game is played....if you're determined to play it. (I wouldn't.) So don't be making excuses about it when they leave. You KNEW they were going to leave when you recruited them!

I'd rather have players who were good enough to leave for the NBA than players who leave for all kinds of other reasons.

Wasn't JJ a couple of years older than his classmates? JT was much more surprising, but i can understand Johnson wanting to bolt when he's the same age as a senior. There's only so many years you can take advantage of playing in the NBA.

Wasn't JJ a couple of years older than his classmates? JT was much more surprising, but i can understand Johnson wanting to bolt when he's the same age as a senior. There's only so many years you can take advantage of playing in the NBA.

In Bob's wrinkle-riddled brain, the only way to take NBA ready college players is to make sure that you always have a replacement ready for each on of them, because slipping back to 5th place in the ACC is UNNACCEPTABLE when you've got the world beating, ALL NBA Everything Point Guard Ish Fucking Smith on your team. Losing a sinlge damn game with Ish Smith and Al "The mother fucking Chief has fucking ARRIVED" Farouq Aminu is unacceptable. Dino should have been strung up by his intestines the very first time he lost a game with those two HOFs on the court.

The best part about the wide diversity of opinions on this board is that every time I read a thread, I learn that two or three more wins in our past really didn't count because the other team sucked, the other team collapsed, the refs gave us the game, etc. I'm thoroughly convinced we've never won a single game on our own merits. Maybe the ACC Championship game in 2005 - I don't think I've heard anyone dismiss that victory yet.

All those "NBA-ready" players didn't do shit at WF when push came to shove. I think they were something like 1-6 in post-season play.....and the one win was a fucking miracle that took an epic last minute collapse from its opponent.

It takes more than just talent to win. Look no further than Chris Paul. He has as much talent as any guard in the world today....but he never won anything at West Forsyth, he never won anything at Wake Forest, he never won anything at New Orleans, and, so far, he's never won anything with the Clippers.

tumblr_lp6xt45vxz1r0c9k4o1_400.jpg

so what are you complaining about? Talent?

The best part about the wide diversity of opinions on this board is that every time I read a thread, I learn that two or three more wins in our past really didn't count because the other team sucked, the other team collapsed, the refs gave us the game, etc. I'm thoroughly convinced we've never won a single game on our own merits. Maybe the ACC Championship game in 2005 - I don't think I've heard anyone dismiss that victory yet.

What victory in the ACC Championship game in 2005?

I'm just saying that talent isn't everything. I guess that I have a different perspective than many of you, because I spent many years watching a guy win tons of games....including 11 conference championships and 3 NCAA championships.....and there were many times when he didn't have the team with the most talent, but still won the game.

I'm calling BS on the bold. Bob Knight always had talent. Even the skinny white guys were well-regarded skinny white guys.

The goal is to recruit the best players period. You go for the best players, every team adheres to this standard. Period. There is not a single coach out there on the NCAA level who isn't taking the best players they can. This doesn't have anything to do with NBA ready, not NBA ready, JUCO ready, not JUCO ready or anything. Furthermore we've hashed out the topic about Jeff Teague and JJ TIME AND TIME AND TIME AND TIME AND TIME AGAIN. Jeff Teague wasn't projected to be an NBA early entrant until he went apeshit for a couple months his sophomore year. He's substantiated this hype by being a starter in the NBA. JJ was a couple years older and he needed to go because he wasn't going to get any younger.

Just in case it was missed EVERY SINGLE COACH IS RECRUITING THE BEST PLAYER THEY CAN. EVERY SINGLE COACH WOULD TAKE ONE AND DONES IF THEY COULD. Period. That's not even debatable.

I just want to point out that this board's ignore f(x) doesn't achieve its intended purpose when other posters quote the ignoree. Not a big deal at all - just an observation.

but you didn't attend the University of Bob Knight. In fact, it doesn't exist. I mean, i'm pretty pissed that Gaudio didn't run the Triangle offense like Phil would have, but shit doesn't work out sometimes.

Just don't make excuses when they leave...........

2 players left for the NBA and we got worse
go fuck yourself

How can it be an excuse to say that a recruiting class wasn't as good as the past year or two which is why the team isn't as good? Recruiting classes fluctuate, this happens at nearly every university.

It takes more than just talent to win. Look no further than Chris Paul. He has as much talent as any guard in the world today....but he never won anything at West Forsyth, he never won anything at Wake Forest, he never won anything at New Orleans, and, so far, he's never won anything with the Clippers.

Chris+Paul+Olympics+Day+16+Basketball+l_ea94QkiDOl.jpg

How can it be an excuse to say that a recruiting class wasn't as good as the past year or two which is why the team isn't as good? Recruiting classes fluctuate, this happens at nearly every university.

We had no starting talent who could shoot a 3 when Jeff and JJ left: Dino's fault
We had no luck recruiting point guards to replace Teague and Ish: Dino's fault
None of our forwards could play on the wing to adequately replace JJ: Dino's fault (AFA wasn't nearly as good as his stats indicate/he is remembered)

Dino was fired because, in Wellman's words, he is a "greaseball WOP." Wellman--what kind of name is Wellman anyway, sounds vaguely Jewish--despised Dino for being a proud Italian American. He put the "kabash" on team spaghetti and meatballs night, and ordered Dino to remove an autographed picture of Robert Deniro from his office wall. BabyDeac75 can verify this if he dares. He complained that Dino wore too much cologne and always "reeked of garlic." If Dino's last name were Prosser, he'd still be here winning games.

In a nutshell, the entire demise of our basketball program is due to Dino's olive toned skin.

goldblack is a trusted insider in these matters

Ouch, dude. You stepped right into his argument. Coach K is a Bob Knight disciple. Heck, you made his point for him.

I'm not supporting / disagreeing with bkf. Just pointing out that CP3 has, in fact, one something. Twice, actually.

NCAA Tournament Regional Semifinals (East) - Atlanta,GA
MP FG FT R A PF Pt 3FG T B S
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi Perkins * 35 8 17 10 12 9 2 3 26 - - 2 0 0
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi Doherty * 37 3 8 1 2 7 4 5 7 - - 1 1 1
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi Daugherty * 23 1 3 1 2 4 0 2 3 - - 2 1 1
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi Jordan * 26 6 14 1 2 1 1 5 13 - - 4 0 1
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi Smith * 32 3 8 2 2 0 5 2 8 - - 2 0 0
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi Wolf N 16 2 4 1 2 10 1 3 5 - - 1 0 0
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi Hale N 23 2 4 0 1 3 2 5 4 - - 0 0 2
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi Popson N 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - - 1 0 0
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi Peterson N 4 1 4 0 0 0 0 1 2 - - 0 0 0
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi Exum N 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 - - 0 0 0
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi TEAM L 200 26 62 16 23 37 15 27 68 - - 13 2 5
UNC 8431 Mar22 Indi OPP W 200 24 37 24 35 28 13 19 72 - - 17 1 6
Indi 8431 Mar22 UNC Giomi * 27 2 4 3 4 6 2 4 7 - - 3 0 0
Indi 8431 Mar22 UNC Simmons * 18 1 1 2 5 2 2 2 4 - - 2 0 0
Indi 8431 Mar22 UNC Blab * 36 5 7 6 8 3 0 3 16 - - 4 1 1
Indi 8431 Mar22 UNC Dakich * 33 2 3 0 0 3 3 5 4 - - 1 0 0
Indi 8431 Mar22 UNC Alford * 40 9 13 9 10 6 3 2 27 - - 3 0 2
Indi 8431 Mar22 UNC Robinson N 34 5 8 4 7 4 3 2 14 - - 3 0 3
Indi 8431 Mar22 UNC Meier N 7 0 1 0 0 2 0 1 0 - - 0 0 0
Indi 8431 Mar22 UNC Witte N 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - - 0 0 0
Indi 8431 Mar22 UNC Franz N 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 - - 1 0 0

N. Carolina 28 40 = 68
Indiana 32 40 = 72

Four 1st Round NBA Draft Picks (Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, Brad Daugherty & Kenny Smith) vs Mike Giomi, Marty Simmons, Dan Dakich & Uwe Blab...and freshman Steve Alford)

ETA: And it wasn't just at Indiana. He was the only coach in history to have Army ranked in the top 20. And when he was hired at Texas Tech, the recruiting season was over. He inherited a team that had gone 3-13 in the Big 12 and only had four total roster players returning....not four starters, four total players. He picked up a couple of late jucos & a couple of walk-ons....and his first team won 23 games and made the NCAA Tournament.

So, wait. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're arguing in circles here.

Best players =/= "NBA players," but Indiana's players weren't as good as UNC's because UNC had more draft picks? I'm not old enough to know that team well, but I know that Alford, Dakich, and Blab - from listening to Dakich on the radio a few times - were highly regarded recruits.

Back