• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Cody's Return Help or Hurt?

McClinton has demonstrated value in hanging around the basket on offense. His positioning on defense is so bad, but he has tools.

His passing and shooting are also very bad. Can't even make free throws. Having a nose for the ball is really his only positive--hard to see that generating a lot of PT when Codi is back.

I feel like people talk an awful lot about McClinton and Watson's athleticism despite neither having a dunk in the past 5 games, both struggle with lateral speed, and neither can really outmuscle anyone. I remember the clips of McClinton prior to his double knee braces... But he's not that guy anymore. I don't think either player has above average athleticism or basketball skill. They both have to play smart, box out well, and know the offensive and defensive schemes to be valuable.

I like our chances at home against Duke. They have no one who can stop Devin and JC should be able to get his as well. Duke has no pg either (Thornton is terrible) so we'll need to apply pressure and force a lot of TO's.

I'd be lying if I said I've watched a ton of Duke basketball so far but from the stretches I've seen they are much, much, much better than us. Also, the home advantage will be reduced as the students are still on break, right? So I'm not so optimistic about that one. I will be more than happy to be proven wrong, of course, as I hate the Dookies more than anything in the world, as every right-thinking person should.

For us to beat Duke we would, among other things, have to defend one hell of a lot better than we have. That usually doesn't suddenly happen.

I like our chances at home against Duke. They have no one who can stop Devin and JC should be able to get his as well. Duke has no pg either (Thornton is terrible) so we'll need to apply pressure and force a lot of TO's.

I am generally a pretty optimistic guy but to say you feel confident that we will beat a top 10 team seems... aggressive. Not saying we can't do it, but I can't say I feel confident about it.

It could actually help a ton. The absolute best thing you can do to become a better shooter is to work on proper form from about 2 feet from the basket. There is no substitute for it. With broken shots (like CMM) he could improve a ton by simply form shooting for an hour or two every day. The boot would limit his range which might actually help him.

If you want your kid to be a good shooter. Teach him or her to be perfect from two feet. If they can swish 20 in a row from 2 feet move back to 4 feet and repeat. If Codi has used his time well he could absolutely come back a better shooter.

Regrettably, it's probably too late. It is what it is.

Unfortunately, our shooters don't arrive until next year. We are still a bad 3 point shooting team and CMM won't help out in that regard. We do have some streaky shooters( Crawford, Greek and Crab) who shoot pretty consistently from the foul line. MW is our best shooter but struggles to get open looks because of his size. Thank goodness we have DM and JC on the inside. They are a great tandem when they play together.

I am generally a pretty optimistic guy but to say you feel confident that we will beat a top 10 team seems... aggressive. Not saying we can't do it, but I can't say I feel confident about it.

Did he say he felt confident about it? Read it again.

He's absolutely right that we have a shot against Duke. Their big men aren't that good.

I'd be lying if I said I've watched a ton of Duke basketball so far but from the stretches I've seen they are much, much, much better than us. Also, the home advantage will be reduced as the students are still on break, right? So I'm not so optimistic about that one. I will be more than happy to be proven wrong, of course, as I hate the Dookies more than anything in the world, as every right-thinking person should.

The students will still be on break, but it shouldnt affect the home-court edge too much. The Duke game was at the same time last year and the crowd seemed pretty hype-even with the large number of Dook douchers there. There's something different about cheering for your team in an opponent's arena that doesnt have the same effect.

And I'm not confident about it all. I just think we matchup well against them and think we have a really good chance of beating them (slightly under 50%). We've played Duke close the last 4 or so times they've come to the Joel with talent disparities much greater than the one this year. This will be Duke's second road game (with the other being at BC which hardly even counts). I've watched Duke a ton this year-and their best lineup by far is the one with Ingram at the 4. I don't think they'll be able to do this against Devin and JC who should be able to get whatever they want. If Jefferson or Plumlee get in foul trouble, that would be big also. I would love to see Jeter try to defend Devin.

Unfortunately, our shooters don't arrive until next year. We are still a bad 3 point shooting team and CMM won't help out in that regard. We do have some streaky shooters( Crawford, Greek and Crab) who shoot pretty consistently from the foul line. MW is our best shooter but struggles to get open looks because of his size. Thank goodness we have DM and JC on the inside. They are a great tandem when they play together.

If Dinos can recover the form he had last year we will be alright. We only have 4 players who should be allowed to shoot 3's (Dinos, Crab, Crawford, Wilbekin). Combined they are shooting a little better than 35% and that includes Dinos' slump.

Wilbekin leads the team in 3PA so apparently he's getting plenty of open looks.

Our free throw shooting is much improved.

plus everyone will want to be there to mock HG with our hometown zero signs

Wilbekin is doing a better job putting up shots this year. When he's on the court, he needs to be shooting. Hopefully he will still get plenty of pt and get his looks when cmm returns

Back