• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Cody's Return Help or Hurt?

oldmandeac

Reaction score
As I have watched the early season games, one thing I sense is the team chemistry seems to be much greater than it has been in a long time. We have a lot of players stepping up like Hudson and we are seeing some good play by the freshmen...

So, where does Cody fit back into the picture? Granted, he has been one of our top scorers but was it because there was no one else who could score or that he was that good? This board has bemoaned that he can't shoot well.

The questions become:

Whose minutes will he be taking?
Will his role be the same or diminished in some way?
Will the team chemistry and the team itself improve or decline upon his return?

Discuss please.

Codi*

Of course it helps. Better players make you better.

As I have watched the early season games, one thing I sense is the team chemistry seems to be much greater than it has been in a long time. We have a lot of players stepping up like Hudson and we are seeing some good play by the freshmen...

So, where does Cody fit back into the picture? Granted, he has been one of our top scorers but was it because there was no one else who could score or that he was that good? This board has bemoaned that he can't shoot well.

The questions become:

Whose minutes will he be taking?
Will his role be the same or diminished in some way?
Will the team chemistry and the team itself improve or decline upon his return?

Discuss please.

1. Trent Van Horn, some of Mitch's, some of Crawford's.
2. He will be the starting point guard, a role that he has played quite well the past three years.
3. There may be some "getting back into the swing of things", but he protects the ball better than Crawford, the game is "slower" for him, and he has been playing with most of these guys for 1-3 years.

He is still a better option than Bryant Crawford right now at PG. Despite him filling in quite well, there are several deficiencies in Crawford's game that will be overcome with time/experience.

Codi is either the first or second best player on the team. Any short term negatives that he brings in terms of "chemistry" will be offset by his experience, talent, and skill at the point guard position.

If you're truly an "old man" you may remember the 83 "Cardiac Pack" that asked some of the same questions when Derek Whittenburg went down mid-season. They went on to win the national title! I predict the same for us.

1. Trent Van Horn, some of Mitch's, some of Crawford's.
2. He will be the starting point guard, a role that he has played quite well the past three years.
3. There may be some "getting back into the swing of things", but he protects the ball better than Crawford, the game is "slower" for him, and he has been playing with most of these guys for 1-3 years.

He is still a better option than Bryant Crawford right now at PG. Despite him filling in quite well, there are several deficiencies in Crawford's game that will be overcome with time/experience.

Codi is either the first or second best player on the team. Any short term negatives that he brings in terms of "chemistry" will be offset by his experience, talent, and skill at the point guard position.

I agree with this but I think this team's ceiling is with Bryant Crawford initiating the offense and Codi bullying people on defense and getting to the rim on offense. I'm not sure BC can cut down his bad passes enough (without also losing his amazing passes) or if Codi can accept a role that has him playing off the ball more, but if we are going to be a tournament team I think that's how it happens.

Hopefully on offense he will have less turnovers, even if he isn't a better jump shooter, but the main plus from his return should be defensively. A material improvement in defense at any position usually has a positive effect on defensive effectiveness of all the other teammates on the floor, but especially at guard, when you're running man defense.

Luckily, Codi gets two "warm up" games before X. I think his toughness will add so much to this squad...things could get really interesting when he is back in the fold. Think we can become a dangerous squad.

I agree with this but I think this team's ceiling is with Bryant Crawford initiating the offense and Codi bullying people on defense and getting to the rim on offense. I'm not sure BC can cut down his bad passes enough (without also losing his amazing passes) or if Codi can accept a role that has him playing off the ball more, but if we are going to be a tournament team I think that's how it happens.

Agree. Crawford will have the ball in his hands with the game on the line. No way DM is going to trust CMM with the ball when he has BC. BC has already proven he can deliver ( INDIANA ) and he is an excellent foul shooter.

Maybe BC is still sick/injured with the busted finger (?).

Past 2 games he is 1/16 from the floor and 1/6 from 3 for an average of 5.5 points per game. 8 turnovers.

I am going to go way out on a limb and suggest CMM runs the point when he returns.

Best lineup: CMM/BC/Crab/Collins/Thomas --- maybe Wilbekin sneaks in there.

When Ish Smith came back from injury, Jeff Teague went into a shell and our team got worse.
That will not happen here. The offense will still flow from inside out. I think BC will remain aggressive and CMM will play his game of driving and finishing or kicking out to shooters. He's played with Devin for 3 years so I don't expect any issues there.

The biggest adjustment will be that there will be less PT for Crawford and Wilbekin. They are playing 34 and 32 min respectively. I expect that will look more like 28/ 22 in Wilbekin's favor as Manning seems to love his contributions.
I'd expect Hudson to continue to play about 30 min/ game. If CMM gets about 30-32 min, Manning will also need to take ~16 min out of the total for McClinton and TVH who are now playing ~24 min/ game collectively since Hudson's return.

I see the trade off as 32 min of CMM for ~6-7 min Wilbekin, ~9 min Crawford, 15-16 min McClinton/ TVH. That's gotta help a ton.

Teague went from a full time PG to a part time PG.

Well, Hudson and Watson were out and came back and we got better, IMO. If CMM can stop the guards from getting to the hoop, our defense will improve significantly. It's rarely a problem to get your leading scorer back into the lineup.

I agree with this but I think this team's ceiling is with Bryant Crawford initiating the offense and Codi bullying people on defense and getting to the rim on offense.

Agreed. Bryant is much better at finding and setting up teammates while CMM can get to the rim for strong finishes and play better defense.

Help. CMM can penetrate, take some pressure off of BC, has size and strength, has experience, and can play good defense. Don't see any downside at all.

Wonder if UNC had a thread wondering whether Marcus Paige's return would help or hurt.

Wonder if UNC had a thread wondering whether Marcus Paige's return would help or hurt.

Doubt it because they want their best players on the court. We are always looking at "doom". I want CMM out there as fast as possible. He was on the all-conference teams last year.

I love BC and he looks like a real superstar in the future. But I would say the average ogboards poster definitely thinks he is better than he actually is right now. He flashes a ton but he also needs to improve his shooting efficiency and cut turnovers.

Back