• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Duke be favored by double digits? (Wake +5.5 down to +4.5 back to +5.5)

Go Duke!

Hope they win by 40. Maybe that will embarrass Grobe enough to hang it up.

I hate people like you. Go hang out with with the two a-hole Duke football fans from Parsippany and Greenwich. If you despise WF football that much, stop wasting your time here.

Pilchard, i like your passion, but i am a Jersey guy too (won the pitch, hit, and run in Parsippany to go to Yankee Stadium) so go easy on the side comments, and i am an optimist. I think the Deacs show up on D and figure out a way to score on O sans Camp. Give me the points all day. Deacs win outright.

Going to be interesting to hear all that color commentary about how great Duke is doing at 8-2 along with how Wake is lucky to have Grobe as a coach.
I thought about this too. Wellman and the SID are going to have to be really on their games this week in order to feed the announcers their typical info without Duke's success totally destroying most of their arguments.

The one positive coming out of Duke playing well (and possibly going to the ACC title game) is that it hopefully shows WF Admin and some fans that "smart schools" can compete with good university support, recruiting skilled players, and excellent coaching. It's been evident for a few years with teams like Stanford, Northwestern, and Vandy but it'll be on display right in front of them this week.

Why would we need Duke to show us that when we just did that ourselves 6 years ago?

The thing that is amazing with Duke is that their passing attack really isn't that good this year. They are winning in other ways.

I'm afraid i might be with Brasky here. Getting destroyed by Duke at home in front of 4000 people might be the only thing to shame someone into action. Coaching changes? Grobo to retire? Someone puts real pressure on Ron? It's really about the last hope there is.

They look significantly better than we do - I still can't figure out how we're going to score any points.

Why would we need Duke to show us that when we just did that ourselves 6 years ago?
Because a lot of people (including WF brass) are convinced it was a fluke and unsustainable apparently. All these schools are not doing this on a fluke.

Too many people believe it was as fluke and the reason we need to keep Grobe. Makes no sense.

Because a lot of people (including WF brass) are convinced it was a fluke and unsustainable apparently. All these schools are not doing this on a fluke.

We have no idea if it supportable at Duke. This is their first year with real success. Time will tell if it is sustainable there.

I don't think the Wake brass thought it was unsustainable. That's why they locked up Grobe with a hefty contract and spent tons of money on the stadium. It just hasn't worked.

We have no idea if it supportable at Duke. This is their first year with real success. Time will tell if it is sustainable there.

I don't think the Wake brass thought it was unsustainable. That's why they locked up Grobe with a hefty contract and spent tons of money on the stadium. It just hasn't worked.

I heard a lot of "once in a lifetime event" talk surrounding the ACCCG and OB.

I heard a lot of "once in a lifetime event" talk surrounding the ACCCG and OB.

Well, considering that before Wake played in the 2006 Orange Bowl, the last NC school that played in a major bowl game was Duke in the 1961 Orange Bowl, then you were probably crazy to miss that game.

Still doesn't mean we didn't take the steps to try to remain competitive.

Everything is going Duke's way this year. The coastal sucks. And they will still get crushed by FSU in the ACCCG if they make it that far.

I also don't get what Duke doing well is going to show our administration. If anything they will say "yeah we did this 7 years ago, when you get to the OB let us know". Not the reaction there should be, but almost certainly like lay the one it will invoke. I'm guessing there will be a lot of comparisons this week between this Duke team and our 2006 team with regards to how they could do this year.

Dook gets to play Miami without Johnson, Wake without Camp and Cheater Hill without Renner. Too bad if they do make it to the ACCCG it will go down as the biggest blow out in its history. Puke on Dook.

Last edited:
Cut is a better coach than Grobe, has much better assistants and has recruited better players over the past 4 years. That doesn't mean an Orange Bowl or ACC championship but it's a more sustainable model of being competitive than what we built.

If they didn't think we greatly overachieved and cannot do it again, they would have at least forced Grobe to change his coordinators. Bare minimum, WF allowing Lobo to stay indicates that these past few years are normal and acceptable to them.

And I agree that Duke being good this year will do nothing. Even with it right in their faces, WF admin will still refuse to accept that Wake can be better and more stable than what it currently is. This was supposed to be our year, but we were looking at like 6-7 wins max. Duke and Vandy alone are looking for at least 8-9 wins.

Last edited:
Back