• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will radical Supreme Court destroy unions?

So then allow secret ballots.

These problems with unions can be fixed so why attack the basic right to organize?

Secret ballots are already part of the process. Dems introduced card check legislation in 2007 (Pelosi became Speaker) and again in 2009 (Obama became President) to strip out secret ballots as part of the unionization process. The 2009 legislation had 40 Dem Senators as sponsors. Reminded me of Edwards at a 2007 debate sponsored by the AFLCIO at Soldier Field that he wouldn't be beholden to special interests. The legislation stripping out secret ballots was called the Employee Free Choice Act, which is more than a little ironic and misleading given the context.

The GOP pulled similar tactics with abortion rights when they took power in states in 2011. Labor and social conservatives make up the bases of both major parties and have no traction in the center. Both parties pay lip service to them, put their ideology in party platforms, and make sure that their most vocal advocates get minimal prime time exposure during the national conventions. Independents are a plurality because people are disgusted with the ideological bases of both parties. The GOP is going to have to cut their losses on anti-gay policies and the Dems are going to have to come to terms with the unfunded liabilities for public pensions that they can't afford. The party that successfully transitions away from their polarizing base most successfully will capture the middle of the electorate.

That's exactly what will happen and it will happen over and over. This will impact both union and up to middle-management wages and benefits.

If you think there is a shrinking middle class now, wait for about ten years after the Supreme Court says you don't have to pay dues.

That's exactly what will happen and it will happen over and over. This will impact both union and up to middle-management wages and benefits.

If you think there is a shrinking middle class now, wait for about ten years after the Supreme Court says you don't have to pay dues.

Can you provide evidence for this assertion.

Less than 7% of the private workforce is unionized. I doubt anything done to unions is going to bring on the Draconian change that you are predicting.

this will also cost the GOP hundreds of trillions of seats in the senate

Less than 7% of the private workforce is unionized. I doubt anything done to unions is going to bring on the Draconian change that you are predicting.

You'd think it was 70% given how much conservatives harp on them.

You'd think it was 70% given how much conservatives harp on them.

I actually don't think conservatives harp on private unionized labor that much. They certainly spend a lot of time fighting public unions but that is a different debate all together.

If they don't want for the union, don't apply for a job or work at a union shop. If they know going in XYZ Corp has a union, they have two choices-not work for XYZ Corp or pay the dues.

I can't believe people here are trying to justify benefiting from union negotiations but not having to pay for them.

Some of you may not know, but it is federal law that union members can opt out of the portion of dues that go to political activities. Hundreds of thousands of union members do this every year.

Yeah this sounds reasonable. Kind of like telling a person not to do business in a neighborhood run by the mob. Gotta pay those protection fees.

Racketeering is the best.

Can you provide evidence for this assertion.

The lowering of the number of union members over the past forty years has directly paralleled the shrinkage of the middle class.

Imthecaptain and others have agreed that you are simply wring in your "doubts". You simply don't understand how this works.

If only I could find a few people who say that you don't know what you are talking about....but alas, we all agree that you are the all knowing.

I actually don't think conservatives harp on private unionized labor that much. They certainly spend a lot of time fighting public unions but that is a different debate all together.

Yeah. I've never heard Detroit or South Carolina mentioned by conservatives before.

If only I could find a few people who say that you don't know what you are talking about....but alas, we all agree that you are the all knowing.

This one is the perfect example. It's not what I say. It's that say it.

Yeah. I've never heard Detroit or South Carolina mentioned by conservatives before.

On a forum like this or when people debate it comes up but legislatively it is hardly ever an issue. Most of the Union v Republican legislative fights have centered around public unions.

RJ, the fact that I haven't seen you in the news as a Power Ball winner can only mean you aren't playing. Clearly you know what the winning numbers will be.

Back