• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will there be any major changes before State?

You have the following choices

• Total voters

PaddyWF

Reaction score
Will Clawson make any changes to his coaching staff before the N.C. State game?

Last edited:
Clawson's not firing anybody with three games to go in a season where we're in position to win the division and maybe the league. Plus he's been defending the D (no pun intended) in his press conferences lately. Not happening. After the season, maybe. It does surprise me some that he's given Hemphill a longer rope than Sawvel, but I don't think Sawvel had relationships with anybody on the staff, unlike Hemphill.

Hope so.

Sadly Sawvel 》Hemphill

....and Clawson sacked Sawvel.

we were 2-2 and had an experienced DC on the staff (even if he turned out to be underwhelming)

meanwhile, we are currently still having one of the best seasons in school history.

everything about the defense obviously needs to be revisited at the end of the year, but hard to see the value of any big changes at the moment.

Hemphill made a nice first impression when he initially replaced Sawvel mid-season and got the D looking serviceable. He has been terrible ever since and only getting worse.

Hemphill made a nice first impression when he initially replaced Sawvel mid-season and got the D looking serviceable. He has been terrible ever since and only getting worse.

Hey, it's not like he gave up 63 to Clemson !

It’s like Grobe/Lobo all over again. Loyalty to a shit coordinator probably costing our team 1-3 wins a year. It’s becoming Manning level bad. I’d you let the players coach themselves Varsity Blues style, there’s no chance they could put out a worse product than this, even if they aren’t very good.

It’s like Grobe/Lobo all over again. Loyalty to a shit coordinator probably costing our team 1-3 wins a year. It’s becoming Manning level bad. I’d you let the players coach themselves Varsity Blues style, there’s no chance they could put out a worse product than this, even if they aren’t very good.

meh this is hemphills third year as DC. the first wasn’t terrible (mostly bc of better players). last year wasn’t good but also a weird covid year. so it’s really after this year that you would expect a well-run program to make changes. if we were a bad team this year then a mid-year move a la sawvel might make sense. but the fact that clawson has already shown he’s willing to do something like that is a good sign.

Would be a shot in the arm to make a change now before the wolpfack game- they appear to be peaking now as well unfortunately.

Didn't Clawson take over the D himself when he sacked Sawvel? Seemed to have worked back then.

Hire Lambert post season. :thumbsup:

people with strong anti-Hemphill positions: what makes you think it’s scheme not talent?

people with strong anti-Hemphill positions: what makes you think it’s scheme not talent?

You need to scheme around your talent.

The piss poor tackling form is the most egregious issue to me but it’s prevalent in every game I’ve watched today.

i’d say regardless, both of those fall on hemphill. i do think our defensive talent stinks, but it’s gotten progressively worse over the years which is a major red flag imo. (on the flip side, clawson frequently credits ruggiero (along with the position coaches) for the quality of our offensive talent.

it’s possible i’m not understanding responsibilities on a coaching staff, but my assumption is that the coordinator is effectively the CEO of that side of the ball.

Teams like Iowa have elite defenses (but shit offenses) with comparable talent. Scheme can mask talent deficiency. I think we have below average P5 talent and far below average coaching. Hell, if we had Cuse’s DC, we might be a legit playoff contender.

The DC is also, you know, responsible for recruiting the defensive talent. People are acting like Hemphill isn’t 3+ years into this disaster. That’s a long time for an underperforming coordinator. OSU demoted their well respected DC with NFL experience, 3 games into his 2nd season.

yeah, i really have no idea how much the Deacs out in the DC to be the main D recruiter

to me, it feels like the talent — esp. at DT, LB, and DB, especially sped across the board — is the problem

I don’t know football like some, so I don’t know what proposed scheme fixes could adjust to this group of players

Ruggiero and our offensive assistants deserve credit for our offensive players improving from year to year and putting up huge numbers.

Hemphill and our defensive assistants deserve blame for defensive players who don’t improve from year to year and allow huge numbers.

IMHO, it's too far into the season to make a change now. But I fully expect significant changes on the defensive side when the season ends.

If we're going to aspire to greatness, the defense absolutely must be overhauled.

I voted "no" - but I will say, listening to Clawson post game, I would not be shocked if something changes. He referred to the State game as a championship game. You throw the kitchen sink at that.

If there is anyone else on the staff capable of handling the DC duties, perhaps they take over that role in some capacity while Hemphill is demoted. Perhaps quietly.

I voted "no" - but I will say, listening to Clawson post game, I would not be shocked if something changes. He referred to the State game as a championship game. You throw the kitchen sink at that.

If there is anyone else on the staff capable of handling the DC duties, perhaps they take over that role in some capacity while Hemphill is demoted. Perhaps quietly.

Heard the same post game interview and why I voted "yes."

Clawson sounded very down and even specifically called out the D.... we shall soon see.

Back