• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will there be any major changes before State?

You have the following choices

• Total voters
I voted "no" - but I will say, listening to Clawson post game, I would not be shocked if something changes. He referred to the State game as a championship game. You throw the kitchen sink at that.

If there is anyone else on the staff capable of handling the DC duties, perhaps they take over that role in some capacity while Hemphill is demoted. Perhaps quietly.

I did not listen to his postgame comments. Did he sound pissed? Cause last time he sounded like that, he actually fired the DC the next day. So, maybe he will.

Yep. Very short interview with Stan.

Based upon today's performance, he could hire a really good high school coach and make a significant upgrade. I think Dave knows he was embarrassed on a national stage today with this game easily in hand to move to 9-0.

Someone may pay the price for it.

Clawson's comment to Stan was something like "the defense played poorly for another game...."

Have to believe he's going to be very hands on with the D this week with or without Hemphill.

I realize we are not the 1985 Chicago Bears defense and we have holes. But, it seems we have players so far out of position to make the most basic of plays. We literally did not have players in the TV frame on some plays. Where are they? What are they doing?

I realize we are not the 1985 Chicago Bears defense and we have holes. But, it seems we have players so far out of position to make the most basic of plays. We literally did not have players in the TV frame on some plays. Where are they? What are they doing?

That's just it.

When Clawson sacked Sawvel in-season it was the same deal: players "not in their lanes and not having their eyes right" as I recall was his analysis at the time. Hemphill gone.

people with strong anti-Hemphill positions: what makes you think it’s scheme not talent?

Hemphill is responsible for talent too. He is not a great recruiter himself, nor do his coaches seem to be. The way it is going, we will be dependent on the portal. Hemphill's product on the field speaks for itself. Time to change seats on the bus. Can't be worse.

Hemphill is responsible for talent too. He is not a great recruiter himself, nor do his coaches seem to be. The way it is going, we will be dependent on the portal. Hemphill's product on the field speaks for itself. Time to change seats on the bus. Can't be worse.

Being dependent on the Portal isn’t a bad thing. The best players on our D are a majority portal players.

people with strong anti-Hemphill positions: what makes you think it’s scheme not talent?

Would be shocked if anything happened until after the bowl game but let's revisit Lyle Hemphill's own words in preseason camp, shall we?

On being the deepest he’s seen in his three seasons as defensive coordinator

Hemphill: “Without question. Those super-seniors really help. One in the secondary, one at linebacker and then two at defensive tackle. It’s nice.”

Are the twos playable right now?

Hemphill: “We’re getting there. We’re a lot further along than we were a year ago.”

By his own admission, WITHOUT QUESTION it's the deepest defense he's had in 3 seasons.

56 points to Army and 58 points to UNC after allowing "only" 59 in Chapel Hill a year ago to an offense with 4 NFL players.

When I’m watch out DE and LBs not understand how to defend the trap/counter trade play over and over again; that is coaching. It’s simple the tackle or TE blocks down you close and look inside for the pulling lineman and take the first one out and then the LB should come over the top and make the tackle. They killed us with that and the QB draw.

don't even need the 85 bears. i'd take the little giants with rick moranis calling the plays at this point

I would think you ride the year out. Not much of deep significance can be changed at this point, and we are having a very good year. However, if there are not major changes to the defense at the end of the season, good to great depends on getting the right people on the bus. No change is to sell out to complacency and futility and I don't see that in Clawson.. Saw it with Globe. If you read the book, good to great depends on a leader willing to see things for hat they are and make hard decisions. Everyone, I think, has seen enough to know Hemphill is not getting it done. Bob McCreary deserves better. Hell, I deserve better.

It’s wouldn’t take much for 8-1 to turn into 8-5 or 9-4 instead of 13-1 or 12-2. Make the changes. Win the ACC and a NY6 bowl and we finish top 10 in the rankings and maybe start there next year. Making the change signals that Wake is serious to the media, our opponents, and recruits. The Wake narrative shifts from the atrocious defense to how Clawson is going to fix it.

Let’s not forget the CFP is still in reach. There aren’t going to be that many one-loss conference champs a month from now. A two loss team has never made it in.

Last edited:
D has been really bad a long time. My 2 cents is mainly recruiting. It hasn't changed for the better even with our success. Our bowl appearances should garner a few 4s every year. Still, we are best are 3's with others unranked, or like the recent OL, a PWO. God bless him and hope he has great success at Wake on and off the field.

But if everyone thinks we'll achieve an average D with the recruits we get, we are dreaming.

If you think clawson is going to fire his DC the week of the biggest game of his entire tenure at WAke and deal with all that goes into that then You crazy.

Back