• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wilson NC

Lots of snobbery on this thread. If you play golf, you're in luck...WCC is incredibly good for a small town. I can get from my house in Wilson to Southpoint Mall in Durham in exactly one hour. North Raleigh is 45 minutes easy. Greenville is 35 minutes away. People from Rocky Mount (which really is a shithole) come to Wilson for the restaurants. There are several good privately owned, successful ones, from bbq to seafood to relatively fine dining.

I may come back here for Wilson dining recommendations for my summer trip home to NC. We had a great time dining in Kinston last year.

Lots of snobbery about Wilson...proceeds to be snobby about Rocky Mount. Internets!

I may come back here for Wilson dining recommendations for my summer trip home to NC. We had a great time dining in Kinston last year.

Did you go to the restaurant that has the show on PBS? I'm not a foodie, but find the show somewhat interesting...

Yes. It was great. Definitely worth the trip.

We went back the next week and went to the companion restaurant Boiler Room, a burger and beers joint across the street. Best burger I've ever had, $5 pitcher of beer brewed down the street, and fries cooked in beef fat.

Lots of snobbery on this thread. If you play golf, you're in luck...WCC is incredibly good for a small town. I can get from my house in Wilson to Southpoint Mall in Durham in exactly one hour. North Raleigh is 45 minutes easy. Greenville is 35 minutes away. People from Rocky Mount (which really is a shithole) come to Wilson for the restaurants. There are several good privately owned, successful ones, from bbq to seafood to relatively fine dining.

The true measure of how great a place is, is the distance to decent cities.

Yes. It was great. Definitely worth the trip.

We went back the next week and went to the companion restaurant Boiler Room, a burger and beers joint across the street. Best burger I've ever had, $5 pitcher of beer brewed down the street, and fries cooked in beef fat.

There is nothing like those places in Wilson.

Go to beef master inn. Great steak.

There's at least one. It's called SoCo. It's $50 per person for a four or five course meal. Owner/Chef once was the chef at Chef and the Farmer

Gotcha, haven't been to Wilson in longer than I thought. Looks good though.

Looks like he was the sous chef down there, Vivian has always been the chef.

Bought a house in Wilson this past summer. Not a bad place. I will say this: for a town this size, we are fortunate to have a couple good craft beer spots. The Beer Store downtown and also a place called Brewmasters. I used to be a semi-regular at Brewmasters but have had a couple bad experiences in a row and have sworn it off for now. Still, both places worth trying.

Also, as has been mentioned, some pretty good dining options compared to other cities in Eastern NC.

Baker Roofing. Run by Wake Forest folks.

Thanks, will give them a call.

Boiler Room is good though I like Duck Rabbit brewery (Farmville) and Double Barley (Smithfield) better than Mother Earth. The owners of all that stuff in Kinston also opened up a B&B in an old bank in Kinston. One of my coworkers stayed there and had a great time. On the Square in Tarboro is also supposed to be an amazing restaurant. If you are back not during the summer and like oysters, go to Sunnyside Oyster Bar in Williamston.

Gotcha, haven't been to Wilson in longer than I thought. Looks good though.

Looks like he was the sous chef down there, Vivian has always been the chef.

I think it has been open for about 5 years. I've not been yet but heard really good things.

Bought a house in Wilson this past summer. Not a bad place. I will say this: for a town this size, we are fortunate to have a couple good craft beer spots. The Beer Store downtown and also a place called Brewmasters. I used to be a semi-regular at Brewmasters but have had a couple bad experiences in a row and have sworn it off for now. Still, both places worth trying.

Also, as has been mentioned, some pretty good dining options compared to other cities in Eastern NC.

We have probably crossed paths at Brewmasters. They have annoyed me at times as well but good beer is good beer and that is the best place around to get it. The Beer Store seems like it is on its way to closing down which is unfortunate.

Flo's Kitchen is a one place in Wilson that has not been mentioned but deserves to be visited. Whole Truth Lunchroom is another for fried chicken. Has been on some top US fried chicken lists.

Boiler Room is good though I like Duck Rabbit brewery (Farmville) and Double Barley (Smithfield) better than Mother Earth. The owners of all that stuff in Kinston also opened up a B&B in an old bank in Kinston. One of my coworkers stayed there and had a great time. On the Square in Tarboro is also supposed to be an amazing restaurant. If you are back not during the summer and like oysters, go to Sunnyside Oyster Bar in Williamston.

I grew up about 5 minutes away from On the Square. It is amazing. We go there at least once every trip. An old classmate of mine is the owner. She's building Tarboro Brewery downtown and last I heard a guy from my sister's class is going to be the brewmaster.

I think I had a stout from Duck Rabbit Brewery at Underground Pub in Downtown Tarboro. It's nice little dive bar if you want to have a beer after going to On the Square.

Last edited:

Great call on the WCC. My sister and brother-in-law use to live there and I have always said their Member Guest was one of my favorites. Fun people, nice course laid back. Wilson gets a terrible rap, if you are okay with going “small town” I think you will enjoy living there, however quite a downshift from the OP D.C. transfer.

Good deal, I'll be sure to check those out. Wasn't sure where you were from/were visiting so I just threw out the good stuff I knew about.

There is a brewery collaboration coming to Rocky Mount too if you were unaware of it, looks pretty cool (article is older and I have heard that brewers are working there now but I'm not sure that it is officially open)

http://www.wral.com/the-rocky-mount-brewmill-crafting-north-carolina-s-future-in-beer/13849475/

Thanks for the info. We were in Tarboro for 2 weeks last summer, my longest stay at home since college. After years and years of coming back home with nothing to do, this time we didn't get to do everything we wanted to do.

Here's a cool little water park we found out about in Kinston. We're planning on taking the kids there and doing dinner at Boiler Room next summer. The tickets are nothing compared to comparable parks in Florida.
http://www.lionswateradventure.com/

Bump.

Can anyone recommend a construction company for renovations? Specifically, one that has experience with older homes. Our home turned 100 this year and we are planning on having the wiring redone. Thinking about looking into an extension and redo of kitchen as well.

Also, on the restaurant front, we went to SoCo this past Feb for my gf's bday for one of the private seatings. It was phenomenal and Ph your friends from On the Square snuck in at the last minute and partook in the dinner as well. We see Jeremy and his wife from time to time, really friendly good people.

Roger Luther. Very cost-conscious, honest as the day is long. Great guy. Worked with him for 20 years in our development business, and he's done a few projects for me personally. Tell him his only Wake Forest friend recommended him. 252-235-7777.

Back