• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winning Out (Regular Season)

Should/Shouldn't - Would/Wouldn't

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Amazing to me how one win, at home, over a marginal ACC team is stoking speculation that somehow we will beat duke next week and/or go on a miraculous run winning 3-4 games in a row in the ACC tournament. What has anybody on these boards seen from this team and coach that makes this outcome seem remotely possible?

Sure, we will probably beat BC cause they suck, and might pull off an elusive road win against Miami because they are a basement dweller, but even that seems unlikely. We might even beat our Wednesday ACC basement dweller opponent just because we suck slightly less than they do, yippee! But the thought that we would then go on to beat a better Thursday opponent and a Duke/UNC/Cuse/UVA on Friday is a laughable notion at best. I give that scenario a less than 1% chance of happening.

Bottom line is we are stumbling to the end of another dismal season under Bzzz, one where we will finish in the bottom third of the ACC for a fourth straight year. Bzzzz has had his time with his people and there is zero improvement on the court, combined with a fan base that is unanimous in wanting his ouster.

Bzzzz is good as gone. There is nothing left for Wellman to spin at this point when it comes to our performance on the court. The culture has been "fixed." It's time to move on. Even Wellman knows it.

100% this.

Amazing to me how one win, at home, over a marginal ACC team is stoking speculation that somehow we will beat duke next week and/or go on a miraculous run winning 3-4 games in a row in the ACC tournament. What has anybody on these boards seen from this team and coach that makes this outcome seem remotely possible?

Sure, we will probably beat BC cause they suck, and might pull off an elusive road win against Miami because they are a basement dweller, but even that seems unlikely. We might even beat our Wednesday ACC basement dweller opponent just because we suck slightly less than they do, yippee! But the thought that we would then go on to beat a better Thursday opponent and a Duke/UNC/Cuse/UVA on Friday is a laughable notion at best. I give that scenario a less than 1% chance of happening.

Bottom line is we are stumbling to the end of another dismal season under Bzzz, one where we will finish in the bottom third of the ACC for a fourth straight year. Bzzzz has had his time with his people and there is zero improvement on the court, combined with a fan base that is unanimous in wanting his ouster.

Bzzzz is good as gone. There is nothing left for Wellman to spin at this point when it comes to our performance on the court. The culture has been "fixed." It's time to move on. Even Wellman knows it.

Who's saying we will go on some kind of winning streak???? I was merely asking the question, if by some remote chance we do win out, does anybody that that "should" or "would" save Bzzz's job.

I agree with attitudedeac. Wellman can't afford to keep Bzzz any longer. The man should've never been hired in the first place, and Gaudio should've never been fired. I can count the number of winning seasons Bzzz has had in his entire coaching career (3) on one hand, and Wellman hired him anyway. If he does keep Bzzz beyond this year that makes next year a make or break year for both of them.

The bottom line is that Wellman getting rid of Bzzz this year is about self preservation. Had he done a better job of hiring Ron wouldn't be in the position he's in today.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking about this. Clemson is better than BC and Miami, and Wake beats a slumping Duke team because it would be the ultimate [Redacted]. CMM comes alive and we make a run in the ACCT and make a postseason tournament (that we don't have to buy our way into), possibly winning a game.

All of a sudden, Wellman has another Dino problem. I don't doubt that he'll still fire Buzz, but I think it's funny that the possibility that he'll be backed into a corner because of his own incompetence is still alive, IMO.

I was actually thinking about this. Clemson is better than BC and Miami, and Wake beats a slumping Duke team because it would be the ultimate [Redacted]. CMM comes alive and we make a run in the ACCT and make a postseason tournament (that we don't have to buy our way into), possibly winning a game.

All of a sudden, Wellman has another Dino problem. I don't doubt that he'll still fire Buzz, but I think it's funny that the possibility that he'll be backed into a corner because of his own incompetence is still alive, IMO.

I don't think he'd have another Dino problem, because there were legitimate reasons to question whether firing a coach with a 61-31 record (or whatever it was) and 2 straight NCAA appearances, who took over in tough circumstances was a good idea. Even if we do end the season in the way you describe, I can't imagine anyone questioning a decision to fire [Redacted] .

I don't remember Wellman backing [Redacted] publicly last year until after the season was over and he went on his idiotic PR crusade to all the local TV stations.
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/my_take_on_wake/article_c60e0006-47f9-11e2-a7a9-0019bb30f31a.html

Critiqued here: http://www.bloggersodear.com/2012/12/17/3776982/wake-forest-ron-wellman-jeff-[Redacted]

Then there was this piece attributed to the AD (and it includes reference to CJ's letter which had to have been AD suggested):

http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=28355

Then you had this after the season:

http://www.news-record.com/sports/college/article_a2dbddca-5fb3-5b98-928f-9b4328d8c1d1.html

None of that this season that I'm aware of. No direct pieces...no indirect pieces. They clammed up.

Last edited:
Wellman has not said anything in support of Bz this entire year and his silence tells us everything you need to know. Last year he was in full support mode.

No news from RW continues to be good news.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/my_take_on_wake/article_c60e0006-47f9-11e2-a7a9-0019bb30f31a.html

Critiqued here: http://www.bloggersodear.com/2012/12/17/3776982/wake-forest-ron-wellman-jeff-[Redacted]

Then there was this piece attributed to the AD (and it includes reference to CJ's letter which had to have been AD suggested):

http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=28355

Then you had this after the season:

http://www.news-record.com/sports/college/article_a2dbddca-5fb3-5b98-928f-9b4328d8c1d1.html

None of that this season that I'm aware of. No direct pieces...no indirect pieces. They clammed up.

Damn, I forgot how much Marty killed it in that piece.

the "it would save Bz's job" percentage is absolutely stunning to me.

the "it would save Bz's job" percentage is absolutely stunning to me.
I think that's fear more than anything. The number of people voting "not even winning the ACCT and getting to the sweet 16" is more amazing. It would be hard to get rid of a coach that took this team to that level of success.

I think that's fear more than anything. The number of people voting "not even winning the ACCT and getting to the sweet 16" is more amazing. It would be hard to get rid of a coach that took this team to that level of success.

It would be really hard to get rid of a coach after the second round of the tourney. Oh wait.

I agree with you that winning three games in the ACCT is highly unlikely....but if we can finish 10th or 11th in the conference, winning two games isn't that far-fetched. And if we beat Boston College at home there is an excellent chance that we will finish 10th or 11th. In that case, we would play either BC or VT in the first game and if we won that one we would play either Clemson, NC State, Florida State or Maryland in the 2nd game. It's still not likely that we would win both of those games....but it isn't out of the question.

This is a somewhat similar scenerio to the 2005-06 team. It ended the season 15-15 overall & 3-13 in the conference, then beat FSU & NC State in the ACCT before losing to Duke. That enabled it to get an NIT bid (which it didn't deserve) with a 17-16 record. And then, of course, it mailed in an entirely predictable 73-58 non-effort loss from Minnesota to finish the season at 17-17. I'm not saying that a home win over BC & two ACCT wins (which would give us an 18-17 record after the ACCT) would get us an NIT bid like a similar record did for the 2005-06 team. It won't. And as I said, it shouldn't have gotten one for that team, either. I don't think that even a win at Miami thrown in with BC & two ACCT wins for a 19-16 record would do it. It would take one more...a home win over Duke or a 3rd win in the ACCT......either of which would take a miracle.

The Georgia Tech loss was a killer.

But the 2006 team was loaded with seniors who played in 3 straight NCAA tournaments and 2 all-ACC players in J Gray and big E. The team was a huge disappointment for sure in the regular season but definitely had far more potential than the current team. Not to mention this team would likely have to win 2 games (including a Thursday game against a team like State, MD, or FSU) to have the privilege of playing a well rested syracuse, duke, unc, or UVA on a neutral floor, all of whom they suffered double digit losses to this year. Not saying it can't happen, just saying I'm 99% confident that our current team won't get past Friday of the ACC tournament this year given what I've seen to date.

The 05-06 team ended with an RPI of 85 and that was when they had an expanded NIT with 40 or 48 teams.

They deserved an NIT bid based on merit because they were one of the 40 best teams that didn't get NCAA bids

As much as bkf likes to downgrade their resume, they beat 4 NCAA at large quality teams: GMU, State (2x) and Wisconsin and 3 NIT teams FSU, Clemson, and Charlotte. Thats a fairly impressive slate of quality wins for an NCAA team.

The seeding was actually done like the NCAAs that year and Wake was a 5 seed, so 20 or so teams made the tournament after Wake that year.

Back