• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winning Out (Regular Season)

Should/Shouldn't - Would/Wouldn't

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 05/06 team sucked dick. Why are we even talking about them? The hell does that have to do with Wake today?

Let's just bring up all sorts of random teams from the recent past for shits and giggles! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Idiotic.

Oh, and that shitty 05/06 team coached by Skip Prosser would shit down the necks of this abhorrent 13/14 Deacon team coached by Jeff [Redacted]. Until Skip called for "no more shots" with 5 minutes left in the game.

So, in summary, Skip's absolute worst team would barn rape [Redacted]'s best team.

Oh, and that shitty 05/06 team coached by Skip Prosser would shit down the necks of this abhorrent 13/14 Deacon team coached by Jeff [Redacted]. Until Skip called for "no more shots" with 5 minutes left in the game.

So, in summary, Skip's absolute worst team would barn rape [Redacted]'s best team.

This 100%. ChrisL's post also quite nicely put everything in perspective when noting quality wins that team had despite an abysmal conference performance.

The 13/14 Bz squad has 1 quality win - Carolina - and 2 wins against teams that might make the NIT. Comparing it to the awful 05/06 really points out how truly atrocious the last 4 years have been. Our best Bz year is still worse than the worst Prosser year.

The 05/06 team sucked dick. Why are we even talking about them?

I know this is rhetorical, but for those who don't know, that's the year Benedict Bob decided to forgive his beloved alma mater for something, something blah blah 3,000 words later the players are black and travel too much now.

That team was 1-11 in the ACC on February 19th....after it blew a 9-point 2nd half lead and lost by 11 at home to Carolina. Let me repeat that: 1-11 in the ACC. With not one, but two All-ACC players. And it did not win a single non-conference game against a team that was ranked in the Top 25. Not a single game.

You are entitled to your opinion about this, but in my opinion, a team that is 1-11 in its conference...with two all-conference players...and who doesn't have a single non-conference win against a ranked team does not deserve a post-season bid. In such a situation, I don't give a flying fuck what its RPI might be. And if it is offered a bid after underperforming so woefully like that, the school should have the decency to turn it down and let some other more deserving team take it. Teams with a 1-11 conference record should not be rewarded with a post-season bid after jacking off all year like that sorry team did.

(It's hard for me to understand how a team that was ranked #1 in the nation and was returning two previous all-conference players, as well as two more guys who played significant minutes like Strickland & Ellis, could go from 13-3 in the conference to 3-13 in the conference in one year. Good, solid programs don't go from 13-3 to 3-13 from one year to the next. Good programs lose good players all the time...but they don't go 13-3 one year, then 3-13 the next year.)

You post the bolded like it is relevant to determining something. It is not. The fact is that the team beat two at large quality NCAA teams OOC (Wisconsin, GMU) and an NIT quality team in Charlotte. That's a pretty decent OOC resume. Good enough to get a team in the NCAA with a middling conference performance.

That team lost a bunch of close games. Hell, it probably would have been in the big dance with 3 more ACC wins.

If the season had ended when we were 1-11, we wouldn't have gone to the NIT. It didn't. We won 4 games against NIT and NCAA quality teams in a 4-3 stretch to close the season before the selection.

Last edited:
Wrong, Slim. I've never really forgiven them....and never will. The passage of 29 years has just dulled the pain a little bit.

By July 15th, 1985 I already had a 28-year long relationship with Wake Forest, including having graduated from there 17 years earlier and having been a Deacon Club Scholarship Sponsor for 10 years....but that relationship changed forever on that day.

You are a really, really weird dude.

I have zero faith in Wellman. No matter how much I want to believe the confident posters, I have to see it official before I can get excited. Back to the poll, winning out would be plenty for RW to justify bringing him back.

Back