• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wisdom Teeth

Ha.

I had three removed (still wondering when the fourth is going to show up someplace weird). They told me to go home and in so many hours get up and take some pain medicine and change the gauze/packing. So I got up and went to stand in front of the bathroom mirror and promptly passed out with no warning...just hit my face on the counter on the way to the floor. I woke up pretty quickly and stood up only to repeat the fleeting face first faint.

I decided the heck with this and crawled back to bed sans extra meds or gauze change. But I had no pain...they must've loaded me up pretty good at the office.

yep, this was the "unfortunate encounter" that my head had with our kitchen floor. woke up, went to use the bathroom, thought the gauze should be changed, so i went to tell my mom (i was 14 when i got mine out) that i needed help. she took me back down to the kitchen. last thing i remember is feeling like i was getting one of those head rushes from standing up too fast. i went to grab onto the counter, and woke up a minute later laying on my back on the kitchen floor. apparently i fell face first toward the floor, but a cabinet was open, so i landed on that and it kind of rolled me over on my way to the floor. when i woke up, my mom was holding my head and FREAKING OUT. i was still so drugged up that i didn't feel the pain of the fall and just asked what happened, then had her get me back to the couch.

the lump on the back of my head from where i hit the floor stayed around for weeks.

The pain pills I took Made me sick to my stomach. I stumbled to the bathroom and passed out as soon as I entered, hitting my cheekbone on the sink. When I came around, I crawled to the toilet and threw up. I kept wondering how vomiting could screw up the surgical sites.

My roommate (frat brother fom Wake) took pictures of me and tried to charge a buck to visitors to see the chipmunk.

This makes me glad I didn't have my wisdom teeth out in the world of camera phones and video.

Couple of thoughts;
Retained wisdom teeth do have some relationship with Dentigerous Cysts and even more problematic Ameloblastomas. Both of these are benign growths but the surgical resction for the Ameloblastoma can be somewhat involved.
Other suggestions from Deac04 are pretty spot on.

One story, one of the football players when I was at Wake, actually was All Conference, had his wisdom teeth removed the fall after he Graduated and developed some problems which progressed to a Ludwig's Angina and he never recovered and died. It was a tragic ending for this fine young man. Point being, any surgery carries certain risks and you need to make good informed decisions about your treatment in conjuntion with the Oral Surgeon.

Back