• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wisdom Teeth

My dentist also gave me a little syringe thing to clean out the sockets and make sure no food got stuck in there. Kind of gross to think about, but worked really well.

syringe_curved-tip.jpg

i used this to squirt water at my suitemates. Fun times.

My parents could not afford the general so I had the two bottom teeth taken out with local only. Local was delivered with what felt like a 4 inch needle into my gums. That sucked. Once they got in there they decided the teeth needed to be sawn in half. So, now there's a min-Skilsaw inside my mouth, the surgeon is putting all his weight on it, and the nurse has me in a headlock to keep my head steady. Couldn't feel a thing but I could smell smoke. :eek: On tooth 2 the local hadn't finished the job so when the saw got into the nerve it hurt like a mother fucker. They pulled out when I started squirming, squirted some local in it, and then finished the job.

No major complications in recovery and I don't remember much pain. I cannot in good conscience recommend the local only route, although it has made for a good story over the years.

oh, and remember you're not/don't have to be a hero. don't drive yourself home. don't skip the pain meds early on. do go into a recovery room if they offer.

I got up out of the chair and said I'd walk myself to the recovery room... then slowly tottered until I toppled over and they had to catch me before I hit the floor with my face and destroyed the rest of my teeth.

I hate this thread so much but I keep reading it.

this. i tried to add levity w/ lisa simpson, but Deacon923 brought me back to reality of squirming discomfort (yet I can't stop reading).

I'm not afraid of the dentist, but this makes me more squeemish than anything else. Ugh. I think I've had too much mouth work done; getting a molar pulled was the worst experience ever, because i could hear the crack, feel the pressure, and see the dentist straining to yank it. aj;welrkajw;elgkh. awful.

this. i tried to add levity w/ lisa simpson, but Deacon923 brought me back to reality of squirming discomfort (yet I can't stop reading).

I'm not afraid of the dentist, but this makes me more squeemish than anything else. Ugh. I think I've had too much mouth work done; getting a molar pulled was the worst experience ever, because i could hear the crack, feel the pressure, and see the dentist straining to yank it. aj;welrkajw;elgkh. awful.

ugh. i actually though the wisdom teeth removal was the least bad of all of my mouth surgeries/procedures (i had 7 teeth pulled when i was young so that they could get started on the braces), because i was under general anesthesia so i don't remember any of it. all of the rest of those things, where you're wide awake, are just awful. completely awful.

If you don't want general anesthesia (although I agree you should take it if the dentist recommends it), you might want to consider nitrous oxide. I had that when my wisdom tooth was pulled last year and I didn't care a bit about anything going on in my mouth. Then it wears off pretty quickly so you can still drive home.

I have a huge dental phobia but give me the laughing gas and I'm all okay. Plus you will marvel at what goes on in your brain when you're on it.

If you don't want general anesthesia (although I agree you should take it if the dentist recommends it), you might want to consider nitrous oxide. I had that when my wisdom tooth was pulled last year and I didn't care a bit about anything going on in my mouth. Then it wears off pretty quickly so you can still drive home.

I have a huge dental phobia but give me the laughing gas and I'm all okay. Plus you will marvel at what goes on in your brain when you're on it.

they gave me laughing gas to loosen up my veins before they gave me the anesthesia. they told me i may have the urge to laugh. i told them no way. then the gas started. i didn't want to be proved wrong, but dang that stuff makes you feel loopy :)

they gave me laughing gas to loosen up my veins before they gave me the anesthesia. they told me i may have the urge to laugh. i told them no way. then the gas started. i didn't want to be proved wrong, but dang that stuff makes you feel loopy :)

It's great. You can sit there and think, "I will not laugh. I will not....(giggle)." Then you have to laugh again at the absurdity. I wish I could keep some in my office for a quick hit on rough days.

Thanks for the responses all. I'll see what the dentist recommends tomorrow as far as anesthesia or just a novacaine/valium cocktail. I'm only getting two on the left side done, so hopefully it will go smoothly. Mrs. I/O will be there to drive me home and then I plan on sleeping/CallofDuty all day tomorrow.

If I could get mine put back in and have the procedure done all over again I would. It was AWESOME.

I had four that had all come in fine, they gave me the gas and pulled all four in less time than it took for my Pops to park the car and sit down in the lobby. I came to on a table ready to rock n roll for the rest of the day. I had no stitches. My lower jaw was numb for the rest of the day, but I was able to shovel some juice shop down the back of my throat.

I didn't have any swelling and was able to go out drinking the next night. I also got a huge bottle of premium pain killers. The only downside was when I spit it was a bit sore for a couple weeks and food would get stuck in the holes sometimes (not sure if that is a downside...snacks).

Overall, would do again, should have negotiated to have one taken out at a time. I do know that it can be miserable for people with impacted wisdom teeth and I have also heard that there are few pains worse than a dry socket. Luckily, non of that for me.

Good Luck

Just called the dentist office to ask about what I need to do beforehand, and apparently they use a local anaesthetic so no laughing gas or general for me. Should be interesting. Thanks for the advice everyone. See you in the flipside.

ask if you can bring earphones/ipod. crank that UP. trust me, you don't want to hear it.

mine came in straight like champs. i just chill with 4 extra teeth . LIKE A SHARK.

Had all four taken out with local sedatives only, much better experience than what my sister and others experienced with full sedation. Was not overly active for a day or two (my choice since I had four holes in my mouth) but did not have any complications. Only took one or two pain pills but that was right after the procedure and I didn't have pain, just did it in case. Definitely made sure to complete my antibiotics prescribed to prevent any infection. And I don't even think I had stitches either, the guy wanted the areas to heal naturally.

can i get those pills you didn't use?

I don't remember my experience with my wisdom teeth (which leads me to think it wasn't that bad), but I cracked a molar two years ago and had to have it pulled and it was so fucking terrible. The cutting, drilling, cracking and pulling was unbearable. And they had to give me additional doses of novacaine three times throughout because the pain was too much. I don't wish that on anyone.

Update: Went this morning and apparently the dentist I had a few weeks ago transferred to the Charlotte location, so the new guy apparently reviewed my information yesterday and thought I should get all wisdom teeth removed, including the 2 that are under the gum entirely, and referred me to an oral surgeon instead. So I'll be making my appointment pretty soon and it looks like something I'll probably need some general anesthetic for. Hopefully my insurance covers the general anaesthesia, but if not I'm doing it anyway.

Update: Went this morning and apparently the dentist I had a few weeks ago transferred to the Charlotte location, so the new guy apparently reviewed my information yesterday and thought I should get all wisdom teeth removed, including the 2 that are under the gum entirely, and referred me to an oral surgeon instead. So I'll be making my appointment pretty soon and it looks like something I'll probably need some general anesthetic for. Hopefully my insurance covers the general anaesthesia, but if not I'm doing it anyway.

I'm late to the game but best of luck. I had all 4 of mine taken out 3 years ago. It knocked me down for the count for nearly 2 weeks - out of work and everything. I had complications, but not a dry socket. My surgeon recommended sucking on tea bags instead of gauze. He said the tea bags work better for clotting. Also, don't drink out of a straw. I think I spent the two weeks eating milkshakes and pudding.

He also put me on a prescription pain killer and had me rotate that with an otc pain killer so that I had a good bit in me at all times due to the pain from the complications.

Back