• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wisdom Teeth

Update: Went this morning and apparently the dentist I had a few weeks ago transferred to the Charlotte location, so the new guy apparently reviewed my information yesterday and thought I should get all wisdom teeth removed, including the 2 that are under the gum entirely, and referred me to an oral surgeon instead. So I'll be making my appointment pretty soon and it looks like something I'll probably need some general anesthetic for. Hopefully my insurance covers the general anaesthesia, but if not I'm doing it anyway.

When I had mine done, my medical insurance covered it instead of my dental. Look at your policies to see which one will cover.

Update: Went this morning and apparently the dentist I had a few weeks ago transferred to the Charlotte location, so the new guy apparently reviewed my information yesterday and thought I should get all wisdom teeth removed, including the 2 that are under the gum entirely, and referred me to an oral surgeon instead. So I'll be making my appointment pretty soon and it looks like something I'll probably need some general anesthetic for. Hopefully my insurance covers the general anaesthesia, but if not I'm doing it anyway.

This is the way to go. I had mine out last summer and they put me completely under, did the whole countdown from 10 thing and it was over in what seemed like seconds. Woke up in the recovery room with a blown-up-doctor-glove-balloon and mad pain pills. Got a ride home and spent the rest of the day sore but eating cookout milkshakes. I was pretty much 100% except for some soreness the next day and even went out on the boat that afternoon.

Get the time when you're coming out of your drunken coma filmed if possible, apparently I was saying absolutely ridiculous things to everyone.

When I had mine done, my medical insurance covered it instead of my dental. Look at your policies to see which one will cover.

That is how mine was, in fact some of the wisdom teeth was covered by medical insurance and not dental. They kept bouncing claims between the two until everything was paid for. :D

I woke up during the middle of the extraction of my impacted wisdom teeth. While I was not in pain, I was conscious of the sounds and sights. It reminded me of road construction with the jack hammering of my teeth!

That is how mine was, in fact some of the wisdom teeth was covered by medical insurance and not dental. They kept bouncing claims between the two until everything was paid for. :D

I think since it was surgery and they put me under with general anesthetic, that's why my medical paid. I had crappy United Health Care at the time but it paid 70%.

I'm glad they read my earlier comment on this thread.

This is the way to go. I had mine out last summer and they put me completely under, did the whole countdown from 10 thing and it was over in what seemed like seconds. Woke up in the recovery room with a blown-up-doctor-glove-balloon and mad pain pills. Got a ride home and spent the rest of the day sore but eating cookout milkshakes. I was pretty much 100% except for some soreness the next day and even went out on the boat that afternoon.

Get the time when you're coming out of your drunken coma filmed if possible, apparently I was saying absolutely ridiculous things to everyone.

haha

that is almost exactly my experience.
It was the first time I'd ever been under and I remembered he gave me two drugs.
I remember him saying the "first one will make you smile and the second will knock you out"...he was right about both. I really wanted to see how long I could fight the second one and stay awake....I started the countdown and don't even remember saying 9. My memory goes like this; I was looking down at the drugs going into the IV, looking out the window and looking up and my mom and the nurse with mouthful of bloody gauze, only seemed like two seconds at the most....apparently I said "when is this fucker going to fucking start" and it took me a minute or two to realize he'd finished already. (even though I was mumbling and my mouth was packed with gauze) I don't even remember getting drowsy or anything....felt like it was one continuous motion from looking at the drugs going into the IV to looking up at my mom and the nurse when I was done

Last edited:
I'm another guy who can tell you from experience that dry sockets suck.

I'd rather do a self-castration with a dull & rusty butter knife than deal with dry sockets again.

Had mine removed last summer. I went the oral surgeon route. It was probably the best time of my life.

I went into the operating room, laid on the chair/bed/whatever, got the IV, and then the knock out medicine. The last thing i remember is shaking the doctors hand, which is when the medicine went into the IV. Fast forward to 3:00 PM. I don't remember going out to the car to be driven home. I was fed applesauce and milkshakes - had no idea that happened.

I was swollen for the next couple of days, and after the swelling went down, my cheeks were bruised. I was on Vicodin so there is a plus. And ate milkshakes, applesauce, and mashed potatoes for days.

My dentist also gave me a little syringe thing to clean out the sockets and make sure no food got stuck in there. Kind of gross to think about, but worked really well.

syringe_curved-tip.jpg

This thing will also save your life.

My overall experience wasn't too bad, but during my surgery I gained consciousness while they were still going at it. It was obviously very uncomfortable, but after they realized what was happening they gave me more anesthesia. It took me about 5 days to recover from the surgery.

All 4 of mine were impacted, so oral surgeon removed them summer before my senior year in HS. He did a local along with laughing gas, which at age 16 totally put me out. I woke up midway through, looked at the surgeon, and asked him to turn off the elevator music (all this while he had tools in my mouth). He laughed & the next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room. As everyone has said, no straws, milkshakes with spoon are money, and do not eat hamburger if they are cutting them out. I had holes on the bottom which I had to irrigate after meals while they healed and I got itty bitty pieces of hamburger in a hole one night & it was a royal pain (literally) to clean that hole out. You may have some facial swelling that will give you a slightly chipmunk look & possibly some light bruising but it goes away in a couple of days. Doc gave me vicodin for the pain, but I didn't even use the entire prescription. Good luck!

All 4 of mine were impacted, so oral surgeon removed them summer before my senior year in HS. He did a local along with laughing gas, which at age 16 totally put me out. I woke up midway through, looked at the surgeon, and asked him to turn off the elevator music (all this while he had tools in my mouth). He laughed & the next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room. As everyone has said, no straws, milkshakes with spoon are money, and do not eat hamburger if they are cutting them out. I had holes on the bottom which I had to irrigate after meals while they healed and I got itty bitty pieces of hamburger in a hole one night & it was a royal pain (literally) to clean that hole out. You may have some facial swelling that will give you a slightly chipmunk look & possibly some light bruising but it goes away in a couple of days. Doc gave me vicodin for the pain, but I didn't even use the entire prescription and I made six weeks of beer money selling half pills to dumb freshmen. Good luck!

FIFY

mine done with sedation. hurt like heck when the pain meds wore off, but that only happened once. wasn't that bad and was back to normal after a week.

My wife is a nurse in an oral surgeon's office. Dry sockets usually develop one to three days after surgery. It's definitely wise to have four of them taken out at one time. Nobody can accurately predict how quickly you will recover until after the surgery. My kids were fine after 24 hours. In my case, I was off my feet for 72 hours (all four encased in bone).

It's been scientifically proven that it is easier to prevent pain versus get rid of pain. So make sure you take your pain meds at least initially even if you feel okay.

Also, this principle applies to drinking. Take one or two when you wake up even if you feel great. At worst, you took two pain meds for nothing.

all I know is that the whole experience was horrible for me.
+1

I had all 4 impacted teeth taken out with only a local. It never really took and I could feel pain, the dentist kept telling me it was just pressure but it was DEFINITELY pain, worse than having a baby with no drugs. that ish killed me and then I had liquid pain meds that were orange flavored and swallowing all that blood made me puke and it was pretty awful.

Got mine done when I didn't have insurance - so I opted for no general anesthesia - just local.

To be honest - it was a smart decision. Saved a ton of money and I was actually interested to see how they did it. Jack hammering reference is right on.

Definitely hurt for a while though afterwards.

It's been scientifically proven that it is easier to prevent pain versus get rid of pain. So make sure you take your pain meds at least initially even if you feel okay.

Also, this principle applies to drinking. Take one or two when you wake up even if you feel great. At worst, you took two pain meds for nothing.

Ha.

I had three removed (still wondering when the fourth is going to show up someplace weird). They told me to go home and in so many hours get up and take some pain medicine and change the gauze/packing. So I got up and went to stand in front of the bathroom mirror and promptly passed out with no warning...just hit my face on the counter on the way to the floor. I woke up pretty quickly and stood up only to repeat the fleeting face first faint.

I decided the heck with this and crawled back to bed sans extra meds or gauze change. But I had no pain...they must've loaded me up pretty good at the office.

Had all 4 taken out. No problem, so I guess I got lucky. This was a long time ago. The one thing I remember about the consultation is the look I got when I said I planned to walk home - just over a mile. Doc was not going for that.

Back