• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wolford Named Starting QB Vs. ULM

Every win is important to us in rebuilding our program- banking on a return five years from now for a kid who can help you win now is stupid. If they are ready and the best you have play 'em.

Interesting move on a couple of levels. From a Jacksonville standpoint the kid can play. The old staff recruited him and he has always wanted to go to Wake. Been a name down here for a while. To make the decision this early by Clawson lets Wolford get the reps needed to prepare. From the negative side, until the first day of class, Sousa or Cameron can still transfer down so that could be an issue. Hope those kids stay as depth is needed especially with the OL reports.

Moot at this point, and maybe discussed elsewhere, but whatever happened to QB Michael Radford out of Charlotte? No longer on the roster obviously, but never heard news of him transferring or getting into trouble, etc. Just found a Dan Collins article talking about him not being medically cleared in the spring...anybody know what happened?

yeah, didn't know much about him or whether he'd ever actually be a contender for playing time. Appears he wasn't highly recruited...was just looking through past classes and noticed his name and subsequent absence from the QB competition/discussion this summer. Seems we always have several guys out of each class who will just fade away for apparently unknown (or at least non-publicized) reasons.

Interesting move on a couple of levels. From a Jacksonville standpoint the kid can play. The old staff recruited him and he has always wanted to go to Wake. Been a name down here for a while. To make the decision this early by Clawson lets Wolford get the reps needed to prepare. From the negative side, until the first day of class, Sousa or Cameron can still transfer down so that could be an issue. Hope those kids stay as depth is needed especially with the OL reports.

Cameron will probably play some in special situations or if....( gawd forbid ). If Sousa is as athletic as many say, maybe he also gets to play in a hybrid type role to use his apparant running ability....ala Mike Rinfrette. Clawson seems like a guy who would want his best athletes on the field. Would seem a waste to not get a 6'3" 220lb. kid who can run into the offense some how.

Agreed with HONDO. Would like to see Sousa get some playing time, if only to see what he can or can't do under the bright lights. With so much hype around him in the fan base coming out of high school, you'd at least like to see him on the field in some capacity. I know he tried WR last year and couldn't sniff the rotation...but why not RB where we have depth/talent issues anyway? With his speed/athleticism, plus size, maybe not the worst idea in the world.

Moot at this point, and maybe discussed elsewhere, but whatever happened to QB Michael Radford out of Charlotte? No longer on the roster obviously, but never heard news of him transferring or getting into trouble, etc. Just found a Dan Collins article talking about him not being medically cleared in the spring...anybody know what happened?

too many concussions I believe

Sousa would seem well suited for the goal line QB role like the guy from Duke last year who transferred to somewhere in California to be nearer to his sick mother.

My understanding is that when Wolford originally verballed to ECU, they saw him as a successor to Carden and potentially a 4-year starter. Our coming in late and snagging him had a similar impact on their coaches (and fan base) as did our losing Quinshad Davis to the Holes at the last minute, i.e. "a big one that got away".

Thanks. Some Wolford practice footage in there as well.

Don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but this interview with Riley Skinner about Wolford is interesting. I knew Riley worked with him some, but didn't know the extent of it. Cool stuff.

http://ow.ly/Afpu0

That is encouraging in multiple ways. I am especially impressed with Clawson involving former players. Apparently Riley is not too upset with the treatment of his former coach.

Naming Wolford as the starting quarterback at the start of his freshman season sends a pretty strong message to recruits that they will play immediately if they are good enough. This decision can also be used to counter arguments by our recruiting rivals that we red-shirt everybody. Not anymore, we don't, not even at the quarterback position.

Back