• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

not a huge grantland fan but i got a kick out of a few lines:

All things considered, it was one of the weirder imaginable runs to the round of 16 for the American team. The results got progressively worse (a win, then a draw, then a loss), only they did so in ways that felt progressively more triumphant (we played badly in the win, then really well in the draw, and then escaped the group in the loss). Literally all of our players broke their noses. We wound up celebrating after losing to Germany, which is exactly the kind of non-regulation historical shenanigans that make the Greatest Generation think soccer is for ballerinas and communists.

We could win this game. It could happen. The narrowness of Belgium’s attack will play into the USA’s defensive strength in the center of the pitch. Clint Dempsey is so haunted and broken and grimly determined at this point that I wouldn’t bet against him in a gunfight, much less a soccer game. It’s also possible, and indeed to be hoped, that Jurgen Klinsmann will surreptitiously field Ronaldo as a naturalized American winger called “Kyle Perfecto.” You’ll recognize him by the portrait of Abe Lincoln shaved into his left temple.
http://grantland.com/features/world-cup-questions-knockout-messi-neymar-suarez/

Last edited:
Back in the USofA! Amazing trip. Totally anti-AO at this point but the USMNT took care of business so that's all I care about.

Mexico looked good against Brazil but I just can't picture them beating a Netherlands side with more world class players. I really want to pick USA and I do believe they've got a chance but Belgium has also been playing well.

I've got Brazil & Columbia today, Netherlands & Costa Rica tomorrow, France & Germany Monday, and Belgium and Argentina Tuesday.

Then in the quarters Brazil, Netherlands, Germany, Argentina. Finals I was thinking Germany / Argentina... with ze Germanz as champs.

Definitely feel like there will be some upsets I've missed, scared about Mexico potentially upsetting NED or Argentina not going as far as I think they will. Their team is deeper than Messi though, and they've got so many fans there cheering them on. Hope I'm wrong and the US pulls multiple upsets.

The criticism of a team losing celebrating is so dumb because it happens every year in baseball that a team will lose a game, clinch the division a and the bubbly flows.

What soured you on AO?

Same stuff everyone knew before the trip, just had to deal with it for 2 straight weeks. 90% of them only care about the name on the back and not about what's on the front. I'm sure jdawg will agree.

I really hope we don't stick a 80% Jozy out there. Any chance of early recurring injury and the wasted early sub isn't worth it at all. We might really need all 3 this game.

Makes more sense to sub in Jozy if we are down at about the 60 min mark then.

LOLOLOL, yeah, ok, Luis. I believe you.

Suarez says "after the impact ... I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent.
"At that moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth,"

suarez.gif

"Honey, this is just all a massive misunderstanding. What happened is that I lost my balance and as a result my pants fell and I tripped. That is how I ended up with my cock inside of her. A really funny story if you think about it!
"......
"......
"Honey? Where are you going?"

Speaking on tripping and it sliding in, free condoms at the Brazilian airports!

Mexico looked good against Brazil but I just can't picture them beating a Netherlands side with more world class players. I really want to pick USA and I do believe they've got a chance but Belgium has also been playing well.

I've got Brazil & Columbia today, Netherlands & Costa Rica tomorrow, France & Germany Monday, and Belgium and Argentina Tuesday.

Then in the quarters Brazil, Netherlands, Germany, Argentina. Finals I was thinking Germany / Argentina... with ze Germanz as champs.

Definitely feel like there will be some upsets I've missed, scared about Mexico potentially upsetting NED or Argentina not going as far as I think they will. Their team is deeper than Messi though, and they've got so many fans there cheering them on. Hope I'm wrong and the US pulls multiple upsets.

Like chalk much? Not that I necessarily disagree. But if there is an upset or 2 in the next 4 days, where do you see the potential?

our nasal fitness is suspect

We should bring in Maradona as a nasal strength training coach. The fact that he still has a nose on his face after the punishment it has seen is a testament to his nasal fortitude.

THIS MATCH IS GOING TO BE SO FUCKING AWESOME

fans booing the other country's national anthem, both Chile and Brazil. So heated. Deafening sounds.

I love it.

4 Chileans are one yellow away from a suspension and crazy Medel is not one of them. Life doesn't make sense anymore.

What's the deal with stopping the anthems while people still sing? Have I missed that in the other matches?

We should bring in Maradona as a nasal strength training coach. The fact that he still has a nose on his face after the punishment it has seen is a testament to his nasal fortitude.

Top ten post. Ever.

Back