• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

UGH... well it was a good effort. wish we'd played with our hair on fire before the belgium goal.

They didnt open up at all until they scored. After that the game was wide open. We had no choice to play the way they were dictating. We had to sit back while they had their onslaught and then we had to open up and throw men forward when they started to sit back. The better sides get to dictate how the game is played. We couldn't have pressed against a team this tactically gifted. They would have run us in circles.

I don't understand why soccer fans aren't more pissed that when the US makes the knockout round, we are losing to the elites. We lose to Ghana and Belgium.

So much stupidity in this thread I don't even know where to start. Belgium is elite here is an except from an article about player values per team:
"Belgium isn’t to be messed with. Belgium is the most fascinating team in the tournament to me; as Sam Knight did a wonderful job of documenting for Grantland last month, this is a side that includes arguably the best defender (Vincent Kompany — probably not last year because of injuries, but chill) and attacking midfielder (Eden Hazard) in the Premier League, one of two strikers to score 15 goals in each of the last two Premier League seasons (Romelu Lukaku), the best keeper from last year’s Champions League (Thibaut Courtois), a $55 million midfielder (Axel Witsel), and, um, Marouane Fellaini! Well, the first five were good. In all seriousness, Belgium can roll out one of the most impressive starting 11s in this entire tournament, even as the tournament’s third-youngest 23-man side."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/world-cup-player-value/

Don't be stupid. Comparing the international competitiveness of smaller individual sports to fucking Soccer is beyond dumb.

Individual sports? No. Soccer is probably the only Olympics team sport that the US tries to be good at that we aren't elite in.

Volleyball
Water Polo
Ice Hockey
Basketball obviously

Small teams like Gymnastics, Curling, Bobsled, etc as well.

(I don't think we try in Men's Field Hockey. Not sure though. I'm pretty sure we don't try Handball.)

There is a larger story about US men earning fewer and fewer medals over the years that may account for some of the story in soccer.

I don't understand why soccer fans aren't more pissed that when the US makes the knockout round, we are losing to the elites. We lose to Ghana and Belgium.

Define elite you pompous know it all.

Ugh again with this. We faced the 2nd, 4th and 11th ranked teams this world cup. We are ranked 13th.

When we lost to Ghana we were ranked 20th and they were ranked 14th.

Just stop.

Define elite you pompous know it all.

The established powers. The six sides left besides Costa Rica and Belgium and the Euro squads people were shocked didn't make it.

A country of 11 million people has more elite players than the US? That's the question, not the answer.

I really don't understand why anyone would use population as a deciding factor in this debate, none of most populous countries in the world are soccer powers. Of the 10 most populous countries in the world, only 1 is a soccer power - Brazil.

Ph distancing himself from a losing side he pulled for in record time here.

Individual sports? No. Soccer is probably the only Olympics team sport that the US tries to be good at that we aren't elite in.

Volleyball
Water Polo
Ice Hockey
Basketball obviously

(I don't think we try in Men's Field Hockey. Not sure though. I'm pretty sure we don't try Handball.)

Since when are we good at Water polo?

I really don't understand why anyone would use population as a deciding factor in this debate, none of most populous countries in the world are soccer powers. Of the 10 most populous countries in the world, only 1 is a soccer power - Brazil.

To further the point, China, Indonesia, and India are AWFUL at soccer. Not just bad but awful.

Ph distancing himself from a losing side he pulled for in record time here.

Distance? I criticize what I love and want to succeed. (See Athletics, Wake Forest)

It's sad to watch every four years and see the same issues like lack of possession and ball handling compared to the rest of the world.

"Where the fuck does one minute come from" in video from.

[video]https://vine.co/v/MFLYdq5wVQL[/video]

Take California and imagine 90% of the elite athletes play soccer . That's Germany and France and England and Italy.

Ohio, virginia, nc or pa for Belgium

It makes sense if you think about it.

Last edited:

Volleyball
Water Polo
Ice Hockey
Basketball obviously

There is a larger story about US men earning fewer and fewer medals over the years that may account for some of the story in soccer.

this is arguably the dumbest post youve ever made. we invented 2 of those sports, and the other 2 are severely limited in who actually plays them.

Belgium had the better of the play and deserved to win. Great performance being 2-0 and almost getting an equalizer.

We are plenty athletic, we don't have the depth or technical ability... Yet. 2 cups in a row out of the group is good improvement. Yedlin & green had some of our brightest plays and they are so young. I am optimistic that we will continue to improve.

LOL to anyone downplaying Belgium, they have some of the best young players in the world and showed it today.

Volleyball
Water Polo
Ice Hockey
Basketball obviously

The international competitiveness of hockey hardly compares to soccer, and our reputation at hockey is such that the last time we were the best the world called it a "miracle".
I don't even follow soccer and I know that you're vastly underestimating it's world popularity and competitiveness.

Back