• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worse Team in the Power 5

DEACS76

Reaction score
After the first practice and listening to Clawson's comments, I felt pretty good about the team. After reading the recent reports and seeing the casualty list, I'm not feeling as well. That being said, I stillfeel that we are not on the bottom of the barrel of the Power 5 conferences. I don't even think we're at end of the line for the conference. We're better than UVa. The division, you might have a point. There are teams with the talent we have who have lousey coaches, Kanasa comes to mind. Colorado is in bad shape too. Other programs are a year or two ahead of us, like Kentucky, Wazzu, where they got good coaches and are now building the roster. Some have new coaches who haven't yet produced, Purdue, Arkansas, Michigan. Sometimes you don't bet on the horse, you bet on the jockey. Clawson is the perfect coach for us. I think that there could be a game or two that Clawson out coaches the opponent. The Blocked punt fumble recovery story is a perfect example of his insight. That will keep us out of the basement.

4-5 wins, 6 is absolute a cause for celebration.

On the non-conference side, GW is a win, and Army @ home is certainly a winnable game. I think we lose the two road games.

In conference, the only winnable games I see are the back to back Syracuse/BC games in October. I think @State is possible, but pretty unlikely.

We currently don't have a QB or any sort of proven RB. The offense will struggle, to be kind.

That's nothing new. We still found ways to win games.

And there's no way this year's offense will be worse than last year's, solely because Lobo is gone

No matter what happens this year, it will be very gratifying to watch a game with him absent. It had become old by the infamous Purdue game, and became worse with every passing year.

I do get the sense, though, that many are starting to build up higher expectations than what Clawson can legitimately accomplish. The recruiting and player development had been so flat and depressed that I just can't see a new hand on the tiller making that big of an impact. And I wholly believe that the coaching makes a tremendous difference in player performance. We might see difference-making players emerge from this group, but I can't pin my expectations on that happening.

I just hope we are clearly better at the end of the season than we are the beginning. the 2nd half of the football season the last 4-5 years has really sucked. Same for basketball (though the 1st half sucked there too).

Worst? Or are we trying to think of a worse team?

No matter what happens this year, it will be very gratifying to watch a game with him absent. It had become old by the infamous Purdue game, and became worse with every passing year.

His third game in charge (I agree BTW)! You have to be pretty terrible to alienate the fan base that quick.

I'm not expecting any miracles this year, or next really. Wouldn't be surprised if it takes til 2016 to get back into the bowls. Just hope for gradual progress

At the end of last year, WF would have been favored over Purdue, Kansas, California, UVA and Kentucky (those teams went 2-44 against Power 5 conference teams last year). WF would have been a pick 'em against Arkansas (lost 13 straight games against BCS teams), Illinois and Colorado. Vegas will need to see which of those teams have improved to create a new pecking order. A lot of unknowns with all these teams relying on players that did not play much, if at all, last year. A few will dramatically improve, but most will will still suck. Hard to assess right now, but barring a barrage of injuries, I don't see WF as the worst Power 5 team in the country.

Iowa St might be a team that could falter. What could save them are EIGHT home games. Two teams with coaches on the hot seat are Florida and Michigan. They could lose the locker room if they don't start fast.

I do get the sense, though, that many are starting to build up higher expectations than what Clawson can legitimately accomplish. The recruiting and player development had been so flat and depressed that I just can't see a new hand on the tiller making that big of an impact. And I wholly believe that the coaching makes a tremendous difference in player performance. We might see difference-making players emerge from this group, but I can't pin my expectations on that happening.

I haven't seen anybody pick more than 6 games. People are poor mouthing Wake if anything.

I haven't seen anybody pick more than 6 games. People are poor mouthing Wake if anything.

That's sort of what I mean. Six games is pretty hefty considering that last year's veteran team only won 4. If Clawson is really good, then with the talent/experience decline maybe we match last year's total. Winning 6 would be miraculous.

Back