• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worse Team in the Power 5

We are going to get ass-raped this year.

No offense, of course.

Nobody loves a narcissistic, self-indulgent, LOWF pity-party like Wake football fans, but if you take off the chicken little glasses and actually act like a Power Five football team worthy of the label*, this team should start 4-0 with that pig vomit opening schedule. Maybe even 5-0 if we can convince the NCAA that holding Fan Fest scoreless should count.

Even if they can go 3-1, a split with BC/Syracuse and beating league winless NC State makes Wake one win away from bowl eligibility. The Atlantic may be the second toughest division in football, but last time I checked they haven't kicked the other bad teams out yet. I'm hopeful to steal a sixth from either Dook, ULM or that Virginia Tech team that got clowned by Dook at home last year. I know it seems like a long time ago, but it is actually possible for a roster full of college football players to respond to motivated coaching whose playcalling pays occasional homage to its players' talents.

* If not the schedule. Seriously, AT(?!) ULM? Who does that? Did Buzz get to pick a game on the way out?

Last edited:
If we had been left with an offense that remotely approached our defense, 6 wins or more would be within reach. But I think we are simply too deep in the hole on offense to achieve more than 4 wins. Sad.

The problem last year was, the coaches never played to the strength of the players. They imposed the offense on them. If they could have found two guys to give you the production of Givens, the running game would have opened up (Like State and Maryland) and we'd put points on the board. They tried to out coach the other staff instead of putting the players in the best position to out play the other players. Their were 4 games that we lost by a TD or less. If Claw find a system to fit the players he has, we could surprise a team or two. If he tries to hammer a square peg into a round hole, like LOBO did, it will take a couple of years to turn thing around.

No offense, of course.

Nobody loves a narcissistic, self-indulgent, LOWF pity-party like Wake football fans, but if you take off the chicken little glasses and actually act like a Power Five football team worthy of the label*, this team should start 4-0 with that pig vomit opening schedule. Maybe even 5-0 if we can convince the NCAA that holding Fan Fest scoreless should count.

Even if they can go 3-1, a split with BC/Syracuse and beating league winless NC State makes Wake one win away from bowl eligibility. The Atlantic may be the second toughest division in football, but last time I checked they haven't kicked the other bad teams out yet. I'm hopeful to steal a sixth from either Dook, ULM or that Virginia Tech team that got clowned by Dook at home last year. I know it seems like a long time ago, but it is actually possible for a roster full of college football players to respond to motivated coaching whose playcalling pays occasional homage to its players' talents.

* If not the schedule. Seriously, AT(?!) ULM? Who does that? Did Buzz get to pick a game on the way out?

No offense to you, either. A wise sage once said "Carolina fans know fuck-all about football."

W will most likely start a true frosh at QB. A converted WR/RS frosh/true frosh at RB. No returning WRs/TEs had more than 23 catches last season. Our OL (the one that helped drive Wake to a sub-100 offense last year) is now the "strength" of the offense. Oh, and our DL has 3 guys on it that weigh more than 270 lbs, with 2 of them being true frosh.

No offense to you, either. A wise sage once said "Carolina fans know fuck-all about football."

W will most likely start a true frosh at QB. A converted WR/RS frosh/true frosh at RB. No returning WRs/TEs had more than 23 catches last season. Our OL (the one that helped drive Wake to a sub-100 offense last year) is now the "strength" of the offense. Oh, and our DL has 3 guys on it that weigh more than 270 lbs, with 2 of them being true frosh.

I think we all realize what unforgivable malpractice last year's coaching job was. Best WR in school history, stud defensive player, experienced QB/RB and with that horrible offensive scheme Wake was done faster than you on prom night. A messy disgrace for all involved that failed to achieve even the lowest of expectations. But enough about your prom.

The difference is that even in a rebuilding year, a Power Five team (even a low-end one) should cut through those first four games with at least three wins (and that is conservative). This isn't college basketball where it takes three adequate kids and a good shooting night to make a mid major competitive with a Final Four* caliber team on a bad night. The asymmetric recruiting advantage of Power 5 teams should cause serious separation by the time you drill past the 22nd scholly. As bad as the first four games were last year, a 2-2 performance this year to start might be the most cutting indictment of GrobeCo.

* Sorry, I forgot where I was. The Final Four is the last weekend of the NCAA Tournament.**

** Wait, there I go again. The NCAA Tournament is played after the last round *** of the ACC Tournament.

*** Oh, just forget it.

Wake will be a touchdown to ten point underdog at Utah State. Wake will not start 4-0 barring a big road upset.

Wake will be a touchdown to ten point underdog at Utah State. Wake will not start 4-0 barring a big road upset.

If so, somebody should sue Grobe for material breach. He was making way too much money to let a Power Five team be a double digit dog to the third best team from Utah, even in a rebuilding year. On the once-famous five year plan, the class of 2014 would have signed in the refractory period of the greatest run in Wake history. We paid too much for the muffler.

Well Utah State is going to be top 30-35 and likely will be ranked sometime next year, but by the same token I agree that we probably shouldn't be a double digit underdog to Utah State.

Utah St has a Heisman candidate at QB. They are a top 40ish team. We aren't the only ACC team that would be a road dog there.

Well Utah State is going to be top 30-35 and likely will be ranked sometime next year, but by the same token I agree that we probably shouldn't be a double digit underdog to Utah State.

That's the broader point. Even if you're right about Utah State, a self-respecting BCS should stumble to 3-1 with those opening four games. Thanks, Gr'Obama.

ETA: How does Grobe let the cupboard get that bare? It seems uncharacteristic to have such insufficient pride in what you've done and built to just hang it up and steal money for a couple of years? My opinion of the man will take a very unfortunate hit if what you predict comes to pass.

Last edited:
I hope Tennessee beats the crap out of USU. The game should be on the SEC network so that we will be able to judge for ourselves.

That's sort of what I mean. Six games is pretty hefty considering that last year's veteran team only won 4. If Clawson is really good, then with the talent/experience decline maybe we match last year's total. Winning 6 would be miraculous.

Sure, but I've only seen maybe one or two people pick 6. Most people are saying 3 or 4 at the most.

With the total lack of any O to really build around, Clawson would have to be a serious candidate for NCY if we win 6.

No matter what happens this year, it will be very gratifying to watch a game with him absent. It had become old by the infamous Purdue game, and became worse with every passing year.

And don't even get me started on how much worse things got with every read option year.

Snark aside, I agree with jhmd that we're going to be better this year based on (i) hopefully, a big upgrade in offensive coaching (ii) what seems to be a serious upgrade and new focus on strength and conditioning, and (iii) just plain old new energy, enthusiasm, and "want to" that was completely missing the past 2 or 3 years. We lost seniors, sure, like everyone else, but our seniors other than Camp weren't very good. If the new staff puts the guys we have in a position to win, instead of kneecapping them with stupid offensive play-calling and hyper-conservative decision-making, we could sneak into 6 wins. I think 4 is more likely, though.

Back