• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worse Team in the Power 5

I've been skimming the Scout board too and some people there are getting rather bullish after a few practice reports.

Well, they thought [Redacted] was the guy to get Wake to the promised land, so I'm not sure I would rely on their optimism...

Utah St has a Heisman candidate at QB. They are a top 40ish team. We aren't the only ACC team that would be a road dog there.

It all depends on how Chuckie Keaton recovers. He had a nasty knee injury less than a year ago. If Keaton plays to the same level as he did before blowing out his knee, yes, WF will be a huge dog, but most athletes (RG III, Derrick Rose) are not the same the first year back after a major knee surgery. Also, USU was a senior-laden team last year. I don't expect them to be nearly as strong in 2014. Not saying WF will win (and WF will certainly be a underdog), but lets not make it sound like WF is going into play @ Oklahoma.

Which of those three statements I made wasn't true? Didn't mean to make it sound like Oklahoma. But bottom third of the ACC teams probably wouldn't win there.

Snark aside, I agree with jhmd that we're going to be better this year based on (i) hopefully, a big upgrade in offensive coaching (ii) what seems to be a serious upgrade and new focus on strength and conditioning, and (iii) just plain old new energy, enthusiasm, and "want to" that was completely missing the past 2 or 3 years. We lost seniors, sure, like everyone else, but our seniors other than Camp weren't very good. If the new staff puts the guys we have in a position to win, instead of kneecapping them with stupid offensive play-calling and hyper-conservative decision-making, we could sneak into 6 wins. I think 4 is more likely, though.

If you believe that running an ACC team without a quarterback is like running an ACC basketball team without a point guard, then the Deacs are in for a long season, at least until you realize that the best season in Wake history was courtesy of an unproven, back-up quarterback with no experience. I'm just not as willing to quit yet. Who knows? It is August. Dream a little.

Which of those three statements I made wasn't true? Didn't mean to make it sound like Oklahoma. But bottom third of the ACC teams probably wouldn't win there.

Yes, Oklahoma is an overstatement. Simply making the point WF's chances of winning at Utah State will depend on whether Keaton is a 100% recovered. If not, the game is winnable.

I'm not necessarily bullish on the team, as there are a lot of holes to fill with new players. I do think the staff is substantially more in tune with the team as far as getting the best out of them. Not sure how that will translate into wins this year, but I am pretty excited about the future moving forward.

With the talent and experience in the secondary, I think we have a chance to be a very opportunistic defense given the right schemes. If we can tighten up the front 7 then it could be a very good defense.

I'm very optimistic about the future with Clawson. I'm just inclined to temper expectations for this season until we see what actually happens on the field because in my view Clawson doesn't have nearly the materiel to work with from Grobe compared to what Grobe had from Caldwell. And I would hate to see Clawson pilloried for a bad year, noting that Clawson's past teams have not had good first year records either.

If your QB can't run the option, then don't run the option. It took Grobe two loses and a cranial-anal extraction at West Point to realize that. I think Clawson could see that in two series. He needs to show the players that he can lead them to success, so that it validates what he's selling. His track record shows that this will eventually happen, I hope it happens right away.

I'm very optimistic about the future with Clawson. I'm just inclined to temper expectations for this season until we see what actually happens on the field because in my view Clawson doesn't have nearly the materiel to work with from Grobe compared to what Grobe had from Caldwell. And I would hate to see Clawson pilloried for a bad year, noting that Clawson's past teams have not had good first year records either.

I am also inclined to temper expectations to see how our coaches do with Martha Allman and the admissions office. That is the biggest hurdle these days.

We. will. be. TERRIBLE.

I HOPE for 2 wins.

But let the sunshine in for now.

I will remin people of this...Grobe and Co. came in the first 2 yrs and surprised a lot of folks, fans and opponents alike, with our play and win totals, even though no winning seasons to start.

I will remin people of this...Grobe and Co. came in the first 2 yrs and surprised a lot of folks, fans and opponents alike, with our play and win totals, even though no winning seasons to start.

We went 6-5 and 7-6 in our first two seasons under Grobe, you dolt.

Back