• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you rather have Shaka or Gregg?

Would you rather have Shaka Smart or Gregg Marshall as the next HC of Wake Forest?

• Total voters
If Marshall loses in the conference semis and in the Round of 32, he might get on Wellman's radar.

Definitely possible, but idk. We convinced Skip to stay and Shaka's wife is an academic, which doesn't really grant the same mobility options as a typical case. Shaka could be our K if he were to come.

holy expectations, batman

What is the fear of Shaka going to the NBA? He's a rah-rah magnetic personality guy who puts his kids through the most rigorous physical conditioning program of any coach in the country. And plays a defensive style that won't work in the Association. He'd have to change his personality and completely overhaul his coaching style to go to the NBA. Neither strike me as NBA types. (But then again, I didn't see Stevens going to the NBA either.)

If we get either, I literally will cry tears of joy.

But I fear we missed the boat with Marshall. We could've gotten him in 2010, but now, after a 31-0 regular season? Very unlikely.

Marshall hands down. Shaka's half-court offense is a bit suspect at times. Would still take him in a heartbeat obviously.

Also Marshall by a lot. Shaka solid number 2 option. Offense has been pretty undisciplined this year, wonder how much success chaos could have against the top heavy ACC coaching. A very good coach, prefer Marshall.

Last edited:
Also Marshall by a lot. Shaka solid number 2 option. Offense has been pretty indiscipline this year, wonder how much success chaos could have against the top heavy ACC coaching. A very good coach, prefer Marshall.

This is where I'm at.

Will say Shaka's youth is a huge upside though. Marshall's longevity may not be as much, but think he is more "win now" and a safer option.

This thread is like 2 high school kids debating whether they will get the Ferrari or Lambo when they get their first real job, as they drive around in their 93 Taurus wagon.

Yep. Hate to say it but there's no way we're getting either of those guys.

That said, if we somehow had a choice, I'd go Shaka, for the same reason others have said - he will come in here and immediately get a top-five recruiting class.

Also Marshall by a lot. Shaka solid number 2 option. Offense has been pretty undisciplined this year, wonder how much success chaos could have against the top heavy ACC coaching. A very good coach, prefer Marshall.

it's called "havoc"

My top five would be:

Marshall
Masiello
Shaka
White
Lonergan

In that order. If we landed any one of those five I'd feel very good about Wake basketball.

Watch Wellman hire Kelsey.

Back