• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you rather have Shaka or Gregg?

Would you rather have Shaka Smart or Gregg Marshall as the next HC of Wake Forest?

• Total voters
I'm Shaka all the way. In regard to Wake being a stepping stone it is and it isn't; There are limited places to go. I think Wake is the college basketball equivalent to Texas A&M. Yes they are often viewed as UT and OU's annoying irrelevant little brother in the ACC vacuum, and they haven't won anything of any consequence, but you're a fool to not recognize them as one of the most prestigious programs in the country. People were worried about Sumlin leaving for UT and then I guaranteed it would never happen. It's just not how those parts work. An aggie, no matter how long he was there, will not be allowed to clean up a UT or OU mess. So, when you talk about leaving Wake, there is no way in hell I could see a Wake coach going to either Duke or UNC. that means he has been whipping their ass for multiple years, and not only would we raise hell they would not want him there. Just a pride thing. So that leaves few options as steps up and a bunch of lateral movements. Upwards you have the NBA, UK, or KU. If he moves laterally it means after early success here things have hit some sort of bad patch (losses or some recruiting irregularity).

Has any Wake basketball coach ever left for a better job?

Nope.

So I have no idea why that is any sort of concern.

No Wake basketball coach has ever done well enough.

I'd gladly lose a coach to an elite program or the NBA if it means he killed it at Wake.

Yep the only a Wake coach ever leaves for a better job is if he makes at least one Final Four.

I'll take that chance.

Yep the only a Wake coach ever leaves for a better job is if he makes at least one Final Four.

I'll take that chance.

Exactly, while there are better programs out there, in practice it never happens. What is the incentive of leaving Wake for UK? You make a elite 8 and final four and stay competitive year in and year out, you will have a job for life. You go to UK and mess around and not play for a title 2 years in a row and your job is in serious jeopardy. It's why Sumlin only leaves A&M for the NFL and not USC or Bama, and why if you get Shaka or Marshall they are here for a long long time.

In practice it does happen. Bill Self left Illinois for Kansas. Ben Howland left Pittsburgh for UCLA. John Beilein left West Virginia for Michigan. Point being they were first super successful at the school they left.

I think, I'd prefer Shaka, but I doubt we get either. Ron wants somebody cheaper. He needs money to build his concrete and brick legacy. Eventually the controversies will be forgotten, and the buildings will stay. Cynical, but realistic with our Ron.

Probably Marshall but everything I've ever heard about him is that he's a real jerk personally. of course if he wins, I can put up with that.

I think, I'd prefer Shaka, but I doubt we get either. Ron wants somebody cheaper. He needs money to build his concrete and brick legacy. Eventually the controversies will be forgotten, and the buildings will stay. Cynical, but realistic with our Ron.

He isn't going to get his concrete and bricks unless he wins this hire.

In practice it does happen. Bill Self left Illinois for Kansas. Ben Howland left Pittsburgh for UCLA. John Beilein left West Virginia for Michigan. Point being they were first super successful at the school they left.

Ok so I contradicted myself in that post with my prior post where I made your exact point. Point is, if that were to happen that means some extremely positive things happened for us at Wake during their tenure. The real point is that the last thing we should ever be concerned about when going after a coach is that may leave us if successful here. That should not even be a part of the discussion.

Probably Marshall but everything I've ever heard about him is that he's a real jerk personally. of course if he wins, I can put up with that.

So an upgrade from Bzz personality-wise. IIRC that was the story in 2010 or whenever we could have had him for nothing.

This thread is like 2 high school kids debating whether they will get the Ferrari or Lambo when they get their first real job, as they drive around in their 93 Taurus wagon.

Buzz is more of a soap box derby car since the only direction it goes is down hill.

Has any Wake basketball coach ever left for a better job?

Nope.

So I have no idea why that is any sort of concern.

Yeah, but we spent Skip's entire tenure worrying about him leaving. I remember as a student slogging across campus on a rainy day to go chant "Wake loves Skip" outside his office when everyone was reporting he was leaving for Pittsburgh. And due to our selective memory after he died, we never talk about how the "Skip to Cincy" rumors plagued the program for his last year.

Bottom line: Wake Forest is a special place. Skip turned down big money from Big East teams in his hometown and his wife's hometown to stay here. Grobe turned down big money from Baylor and Arkansas. But unless someone comes in here and builds us into a power like Duke, we will always be a program that bigger schools will try to steal from.

That being said, we have arguably the most pathetic, embarrassing program in the nation right now. A new coach being successful and leaving for another job should be the least of our worries. We should be so lucky to have Shaka coach here for two years and move on to a bigger job.

Marshall is my first choice but I'd be thrilled to get Shaka. Marshall has built two programs up to a high level from absolute rubble (and let's be honest, that's where we are right now). Shaka inherited a much better situation at VCU, although he has no doubt elevated the program from where he found it.

ETA: I just realized if we get either of our Top 2 we'll either have a Shaka or a Shocker...

Shaka. You can always get assistants to work out the X's and O's, design the offense. Shaka can bring the horses. And if he's here, then he's not going to UNC or Duke in 5-10 yrs (or however long K and Roy continue). By the time our next coach gets us real good, one or both of those will be gone = opportunity to fill the void they leave. And IF Shaka is that good, he's younger and will be around longer. UNC has shown in Doherty that continuing the dynasty is not a sure or easy thing. Now is not the time to be conservative.

tumblr_mk3s54cSAc1r6mt8go9_250.gif

Voted Marshall, but I will be stoked with either one. Shaka could potentially be here longer, but if Marshall coaches here for 20 years, we will have done pretty well for ourselves.

If WF gets Marshall or Smart, the past 4 years suddenly look a lot different in the rear-view mirror.

RW needs a grand slam here to salvage anything that's left of his own legacy. While I'll never believe that the bz-aster was part of some grand-plan leading to this hire, I'd be willing to let the sunshine brigade sound any trumpets they wanted to for a while.

Shaka is WF, for what it's worth. He carries himself like Caldwell, communicates like Prosser, and coaches like (well...) somebody that WF has needed for a while.

Back