• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you support a ban of the sale and possession of all firearms in the USA?

??

• Total voters
The idea that people NEED guns just seems odd to me.

Pro ban here.

And there are a lot more conservative motherfuckers (used as a term of endearment) on here than I encounter in my daily life. I really don't think the breakdown of political ideology on here is that far off from the national splits given the education levels, racial and ethnic identities, and average income of those who post.

I don't know how anyone could argue that this board does not lean further left than the nation as a whole. It is certainly far left of the folks I encounter on a daily basis.

It is a little surprising to me, too, since I would have thought Wake was mostly a bastion of conservatism? Perhaps it has changed over the years?

Or perhaps it is simply a reflection of the age of the majority of posters? In general, the younger the crowd, the more liberal.

I don't know how anyone could argue that this board does not lean further left than the nation as a whole. It is certainly far left of the folks I encounter on a daily basis.

It is a little surprising to me, too, since I would have thought Wake was mostly a bastion of conservatism? Perhaps it has changed over the years?

Or perhaps it is simply a reflection of the age of the majority of posters? In general, the younger the crowd, the more liberal.

Left of your friends? Sure. But it's really not that far left (reformist at best) and I don't think it's that far off of gen pop when controlling for education, race, and income.

The idea that people NEED guns just seems odd to me.

Pro ban here.

People don't 'need' alcohol either but I would guess it kills a lot more people than guns?? In fact, you could make quite a long list of things that we don't need that are dangerous to ourselves or others. Silly argument that seems reasonable to you because it doesn't impact you.

Left of your friends? Sure. But it's really not that far left (reformist at best) and I don't think it's that far off of gen pop when controlling for education, race, and income.

This.

Maybe some of the posters complaining spend too much time in their own echo chambers and are shocked when they go outside.

If the threat of your two year old child dying isn't enough to keep people from leaving loaded guns around, I doubt a long prison sentence will do it.

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. I dunno.

And mandatory / strict sentencing hasn't exactly stopped people from using drugs. Instead we have a skyrocketing prison population.

As has been discussed by a lot of people on these Tunnels at length, wholesale prison reform is needed in this country, especially with respect to non-violent drug offenses. That would have to go hand-in-hand with this. And I would venture to guess that the number of gun offenses in this country, while high, is dwarfed by the number of non-violent drug offenses, so it wouln't exactly result in a skyrocketing prison population. Again, this isn't necessarily a viable solution, but I would think that prison reform would be an easier task in our country than the kind of gun reform that is being discussed.

Well, my friends likely fall into the same education and income bands represented by the board so that should not have an impact. I don't know the racial make-up of the board so I can't compare that factor.
I maintain the main difference is age. All you young'uns are going to grow more and more conservative as you age - you don't think so, but it will happen.

#anecdotealert

i've moved significantly left on this particular issue as i've aged

People don't 'need' alcohol either but I would guess it kills a lot more people than guns?? In fact, you could make quite a long list of things that we don't need that are dangerous to ourselves or others. Silly argument that seems reasonable to you because it doesn't impact you.

alcohol, by design is not meant to kill or maim. guns are. spare me the whole shooting at a range bit. I get that, but guns weren't invented for sport shooting, they were invented to make killing more efficient. handguns, especially. the purpose of a handgun is to kill or wound another human. you do not hunt animals with them.

to be fair, guns are designed to propel an object accurately over an expected distance.

alcohol is designed to taste a certain way and get a person drunk

#anecdotealert

i've moved significantly left on this particular issue as i've aged

Just out of curiosity, how has your stance changed since you moved away from Maine. Everyone I know in Maine, which is a fair number of people, has guns and loves their guns. My brother in law has probably 40 or so guns, the majority of which are handguns (a number of which belonged to my father in law before he died - he was a retired Statey and loved trading guns), and there is no way in hell anyone is going to tell him he can't have his guns.

What about trying to deter gun violence with punishment. I know that there are a bunch of laws where a sentence can be increased if a firearm is used in connection with the commission of a crime (felony only?), but what if we made the use of a gun in commission of a crime punishable automatically by life in prison with no parole. So some dude sticks up a liquor store, life; is negligent and leaves a loaded weapon out for their 6 year old to pick up and kill their 2 year old brother, life. Crazy harsh punishment may make people think twice about using a gun. Even if they would use it in what they deemed to be an appropriate manner, they may think twice. I know that brings in the 8th amendment, and I know it wouldn't necessarily stop something where the killers don't expect to live after their actions, but it might curb violence to some degree. But there's probably stats out there that people could point to showing that punishment doesn't deter crime (murder). I dunno. But banning all guns simply isn't ever going to happen in this country.

research in the social science(s) do not corroborate your idea.

Unsurprisingly, the boards are not left of my friends (from either wake or from law school). Probably because I don't have anyone over 40 in my group of close friends.

Classic ITC post right here.

post-50029-bill-murray-a-ring-a-ding-ding-K2OD.gif

Well, my friends likely fall into the same education and income bands represented by the board so that should not have an impact. I don't know the racial make-up of the board so I can't compare that factor.
I maintain the main difference is age. All you young'uns are going to grow more and more conservative as you age - you don't think so, but it will happen.

Right, and a lot of my friends are Marxist, but I'm aware enough to realize they are a poor representation of the country at large.

alcohol, by design is not meant to kill or maim. guns are. spare me the whole shooting at a range bit. I get that, but guns weren't invented for sport shooting, they were invented to make killing more efficient. handguns, especially. the purpose of a handgun is to kill or wound another human. you do not hunt animals with them.
Alcohol does maim and kill. Why should the purpose matter, what is important is the outcome. Alcohol consumption like gun ownership is dangerous to society.

Just out of curiosity, how has your stance changed since you moved away from Maine. Everyone I know in Maine, which is a fair number of people, has guns and loves their guns. My brother in law has probably 40 or so guns, the majority of which are handguns (a number of which belonged to my father in law before he died - he was a retired Statey and loved trading guns), and there is no way in hell anyone is going to tell him he can't have his guns.

i think it's been a progression longer than that. I still think people should be able to own rifles and shotguns. Our laws and application of the laws are just dumb and not effective enough. Also, firearms should be a Federal issue, IMO, not state, which is another prickly point. We should have the same sale and permit laws everywhere.

Back to the subject at hand. Just heard from a friend that they have arrested a shooter on the campus of Mississippi State. Potentially one suspect still at large. No shots fired or injuries reported yet.

Just saw the update on Twitter. Suspect in custody. Campus has the all clear. Classes resume at 2pm.

Wrangor's fulcrum is all out of whack, hence the "heavily leans left!" idiocy. Conservative, religious dude living in the deep South thinks everyone's opinions lean left? NO WAI

Back