• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ Article - "[Redacted]'s Last Stand"

deacz

Reaction score
Wow. This should stir up some opinions. I believe it is pure AD-spun garbage.

FYI - Dan Collins did NOT write this. Apparently Jeff Laughlin is Ron Wellman's pen name.

http://www.journalnow.com/article_999346b2-7174-11e3-b44e-001a4bcf6878.html

Some gems:

"[T]he Deacons have been surprisingly solid thus far."

"The 'billboard crowd' represents a faction of faithful followers who won’t take success for an answer."

"Meanwhile, [Redacted] has alternated between a curmudgeon and a lighthearted, caring teacher of young men."

And "The Good" bullet-points are just tremendous. I think Braces helped "Jeff Laughlin" write them:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Buzz on [Redacted]

The Good

◾[Redacted] has cleaned up a Wake team that had a rash of off-the-court issues during his first season. The team’s character and classroom discipline is now unquestionably strong.
◾The team’s ACC regular season record has improved every year under [Redacted], from 1-15 (2011) to 4-12 (2012) to 6-12 (2013). Last season also featured upset wins against No. 18 NC State and No. 2 Miami.
◾This year’s team has more talent and depth than any of [Redacted]’s previous squads. Their record was a respectable 8-2 when we went to press.

The Bad

◾In his first three seasons, [Redacted]’s record against ACC teams is downright ugly (11-42). This includes a 1-24 mark in conference road games.
◾The Deacs have yet to earn an NCAA Tournament berth under [Redacted] after regular appearances during the Dino Gaudio and Skip Prosser regimes.
◾Apathy and anger have overtaken a portion of the Wake fanbase, with fan-funded websites, newspaper ads, and billboard displays all calling for [Redacted]’s job (and causing the national media to take note).

Last edited:
8-2 when we went to press? The Xavier loss was 4 days ago.

Thanks for living up to your reputation of being outdated and a relic of the past, local newspaper.

"Then there’s [Redacted]’s woeful record in the ACC tournament (1-4)"

Huh? Since when did Buzz win a game in the ACC Tournament? That article is awful in so many ways.

Then there’s [Redacted]’s woeful record in the ACC tournament (1-4), and the fact his teams haven’t sniffed the NCAA Tournament since he took over.

As far as I know [Redacted]'s ACC tournament record is 0-3. I don't know where the imaginary ACC tournament win referenced in the article came from.

Dumb article... but basically just a preview of the team headed into conference play.

None of it matters. If Wake doesn't improve on last year's 6-12 conference record this year, I don't see any way that Wellman can justify keeping Bz around. Looking at the schedule, I can't see us finishing .500 or above in conference (unless the team really has improved significantly)... and 10-3 w/ an awful non-conference schedule is no cause for celebration (even though it may inflate the overall record at the end of the year to something that doesn't look like a dumpster fire).

Wake officials who declined interview requests for this story —hope this is the year it finally comes together for [Redacted]. They’ll point to his reputation as an X-and-O mastermind as reasons for optimism.

so the wake forest officials "declined" requests to be reviewed for the story and yet you still comment on what they "would" say...

congrats ron. your minions worked overtime to convince someone to stamp their name on an article straight from the athletic department.

Well, that's a cute revisionist history. Also, this is a person who cites the radio show as a legitimate source multiple times.

The "sophomores developing" argument is such horseshit. This year is the best chance we have of winning with the 2016 class. We will be certainly worse next year, relying on CMM and Cav to shoot the ball consistently well. That "heralded class" lacks two of maybe the most important things to winning games - good shooting and rebounding. Buzz sucks.

I have yet to talk to one Wake Forest alumni/fan in person over the past 2 years, that does not want this clown fired immediately. Sounds like a pretty big "faction" of the fan base to me.

I don't even think Wellman believes some of that crap. I'm thinking the article was penned by Bzz himself.

"Then there’s [Redacted]’s woeful record in the ACC tournament (1-4)"

In his first two years he went 0-2.

But clearly last year we started counting by halves* and went 1-1 against Maryland. Congratulations to [Redacted] on breaking through and getting that first postseason win for the Deacs!!!

*-Counting halves is for losses only, and only when Wake wins a half.

That billboard isn't up anymore is it?

Never heard of this Laughlin guy. He isn't a very good writer. A lot of poor observations and "facts".

No matter, the "fringe" will be proven right for the 4th year in a row. Barring a miracle, this team isn't going anywhere in March.

add some comments........let the public and his bosses see them.

Back