• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ Article - "[Redacted]'s Last Stand"

When you write an article on Wake hoops that rivals the drivel Lenox produced, you've really done something.

This whole article has the feel of "took the words right out of Ron Wellman's mouth." Dreadful nonsense.

Interesting promotion from writing for the triad on Yes! Weekly to his first article being that for the WSJ.

The dude's most recent article was about cupcakes and the artistry of baking. Found the common like to Wellman. His only other sports pieces are about "local talent" and a water polo game.

And here's his twitter: https://twitter.com/BeardsInc. Definitely the guy as he has old tweets about Yes! Weekly.

Did he write that for Yes Weekly? We haven't been 8-2 for awhile.

Another level of Bzzztardedness "Even if Wake had all of this great success, you would still hate him!!!1111!!!!!"

Uh, all we have had so far is failure. When this hypothetical success comes along, let me know.

Interesting promotion from writing for the triad on Yes! Weekly to his first article being that for the WSJ.

The dude's most recent article was about cupcakes and the artistry of baking. Found the common like to Wellman. His only other sports pieces are about "local talent" and a water polo game.

And here's his twitter: https://twitter.com/BeardsInc. Definitely the guy as he has old tweets about Yes! Weekly.

That is fucking hilarious. I assume that's him in the background on his Twatter feed? Screaming toolbag.

art1900623.widea.jpg

Seems like a bad version of Sports Carolina Monthly. Okay, it's not that bad. But close.

Wow. This should stir up some opinions. I believe it is pure AD-spun garbage.

FYI - Dan Collins did NOT write this. Apparently Jeff Laughlin is Ron Wellman's pen name.

http://www.journalnow.com/article_999346b2-7174-11e3-b44e-001a4bcf6878.html

Some gems:

"[T]he Deacons have been surprisingly solid thus far."

"The 'billboard crowd' represents a faction of faithful followers who won’t take success for an answer."

"Meanwhile, [Redacted] has alternated between a curmudgeon and a lighthearted, caring teacher of young men."

And "The Good" bullet-points are just tremendous. I think Braces helped "Jeff Laughlin" write them:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Buzz on [Redacted]

The Good

◾[Redacted] has cleaned up a Wake team that had a rash of off-the-court issues during his first season. The team’s character and classroom discipline is now unquestionably strong.
◾The team’s ACC regular season record has improved every year under [Redacted], from 1-15 (2011) to 4-12 (2012) to 6-12 (2013). Last season also featured upset wins against No. 18 NC State and No. 2 Miami.
◾This year’s team has more talent and depth than any of [Redacted]’s previous squads. Their record was a respectable 8-2 when we went to press.

The Bad

In his first three seasons, [Redacted]’s record against ACC teams is downright ugly (11-42). This includes a 1-24 mark in conference road games.
◾The Deacs have yet to earn an NCAA Tournament berth under [Redacted] after regular appearances during the Dino Gaudio and Skip Prosser regimes.

◾Apathy and anger have overtaken a portion of the Wake fanbase, with fan-funded websites, newspaper ads, and billboard displays all calling for [Redacted]’s job (and causing the national media to take note).

I like how 2 of the 3 "good" points actually just point out a bunch of shitty things that have happened while [Redacted] has been here (i.e., dudes getting run off and lots and lots of losing).

I don't see how this team has more talent than last season. Same players except CJ, Coron and Overton. He makes it seem like we brought in some good frosh or something.

Those two wins over NCST and Miami probably saved Buzz's ass. Lose those two and we win only four conference games for the second year in a row. That should help some of you who are wrestling with the so-called Emotional Dilemma.

“There were a lot of people who questioned the hire from the start,” one Wake fan, who didn’t want to be identified, told us.
WTF? Fans are so scared of Wellman now that they have to mask their identities in a news article that asks for their opinion? "Wake sucks balls...but PLEEEASE don't use my real name!"

Seems like a bad version of Sports Carolina Monthly. Okay, it's not that bad. But close.

lectro has tried to move from football to basketball...turns out there was already a basketball lectro all along!

I questioned this hire from the start. Chris Luper, Wake Fan.

Also, how does a coach get awarded credit for having a more talented team than historically awful teams that he himself coached and was responsible for? "Improvement" or otherwise, a student who follows up 3 Fs with a D+ still hasn't turned in anything but an objectively shitty paper.

Reactions: Ayo
"Then there’s [Redacted]’s woeful record in the ACC tournament (1-4)"

Huh? Since when did Buzz win a game in the ACC Tournament? That article is awful in so many ways.

Man, I read that and thought I was taking crazy pills.

Some odd specifics in there like the ACC tourny record thing, but isn't the general take about right? The team is no doubt the best in Bz's tenure and played well in the easy part of the schedule but is getting ready to play the tough part of the schedule. If the team doesn't perform, it will probably not be enough. All of the problems were cited...even Bz's standoffish behavior. The way you guys are acting I was expecting an article blindly praising the guy and I don't see that.

The new piece of info is what I suspected all along. The AD/administration thinks the team will perform this year due to what they believe is a great X and Os coach. This is the year it has to come together. They hired the guy with the intent and belief that he would elevate our play. They were willing to give him a long leash during the transition to "his" players which is what an AD should do. But if he doesn't perform this year with his kids, changes will probably be made. We just don't know what their minimum expectation is.

Back