• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ Article - "[Redacted]'s Last Stand"

"Whatever happens, these next few months should be the most interesting in Wake basketball since Chris Paul departed for the NBA. Win or lose, Wake fans will no-doubt be watching. “There were a lot of people who questioned the hire from the start,” one Wake fan, who didn’t want to be identified, told us."

I think that in AD world the only things that happened while Dino was here were the Cleveland State loss, the ACC tourney losses, and all of the culture stuff*

* None of which actually happened while Dino was here.

I was pretty interested in January 2009.

"Whatever happens, these next few months should be the most interesting in Wake basketball since Chris Paul departed for the NBA. Win or lose, Wake fans will no-doubt be watching.

After three years of Bz Shit; I do not think so...

Perhaps everyone is aware but this article first appeared in the magazine, Winston-Salem, last week. I know this because it's still sitting on my coffee table.
One would have thought that the Journal would have acknowledged as such. Dunno.

Winston-Salem monthly is published by the Journal, my guess is although it's on the Journal's web site you won't see it in print.

The main question this article raises - is there not one fan willing to go on record supporting Buzz? I mean the writer is W-S based, how hard is it to find fans to interview here that would be willing to have their names appear in print?

The only open question regarding Bzzz is where will he rate compared to Bob Wade and Staak?

"Wake Forest has definitely hit a grand slam with Jeff [Redacted]. I've known Jeff since we worked on the same staff at Davidson College back in the late 1970s, and I've always respected how hard he has worked at every step in his coaching career. People around the ACC will find out very quickly that Jeff is an outstanding basketball coach."
- Rick Barnes, Head Coach, University of Texas

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"Jeff was an instrumental part of the Miami HEAT in the early years. He was an incredible resource and played a key role in us re-launching the organization. He was a very hard-working and dedicated scout and then as he has moved on in his career has become a very good head coach. I wish him nothing but the best. Wake Forest has picked the right man."
- Pat Riley, President, Miami Heat

"Wake Forest has definitely hit a grand slam with Jeff [Redacted]. I've known Jeff since we worked on the same staff at Davidson College back in the late 1970s, and I've always respected how hard he has worked at every step in his coaching career. People around the ACC will find out very quickly that Jeff is an outstanding basketball coach."
- Rick Barnes, Head Coach, University of Texas

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"Jeff was an instrumental part of the Miami HEAT in the early years. He was an incredible resource and played a key role in us re-launching the organization. He was a very hard-working and dedicated scout and then as he has moved on in his career has become a very good head coach. I wish him nothing but the best. Wake Forest has picked the right man."
- Pat Riley, President, Miami Heat

The question is, "Who are three people who's word I would not trust on a mile high stack of Bibles."

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the smartest, most knowledgeable, hardest working coaches I have ever worked with. His teams in the NBA and college have achieved beyond their talent levels. Recruits to Wake Forest will play for a coach who was successful in the NBA for a long time and will teach them what they need to know to make it to the NBA."
- Stan Van Gundy, Head Coach, Orlando Magic

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the smartest, most knowledgeable, hardest working coaches I have ever worked with. His teams in the NBA and college have achieved beyond their talent levels. Recruits to Wake Forest will play for a coach who was successful in the NBA for a long time and will teach them what they need to know to make it to the NBA."

LOL

The question is, "Who are three people who's word I would not trust on a mile high stack of Bibles."

"Jeff [Redacted] is a basketball coach." - Carmelo Anthony

Ok! OK! There's more than three...

The quotes posted by Slothrop are downright pathetic. I wonder of any of those gentlemen would claim those quotes today?

I still think that the real admission of bzz being here at all , is we are not trying to win. We,ll take a win if it happens but we,re not really trying to compete. Did that change with clawson? I don't know, but how can the deacon club ask for money to win championships?

"As those players left, [Redacted] had his own choices: Play the remaining guys out of loyalty to the school and their decision to stay, or recruit his own guys and run from there. Last season, the culmination of players deciding to leave—some were asked to leave—and his faith in incoming freshmen made the decision clear. [Redacted] decided his team would play, not Gaudio’s, and gave significant minutes to six first-year players. As you might expect, the results were up and down."

What does this paragraph even mean? He seems to be implying that [Redacted] benched Dino's remaining players in favor of his own. There is just no basis in fact or even in AD spin to write this paragraph.

It sounds a tiny bit like what transpired at Colorado. It doesn't matter, though. At least Carson, Tony, and Tony got to win some games, something that upperclassmen Travis and CJ never experienced.

At the end of the day, the true losers of the Ron and Jeff Show are, as has always been the case, the players.

Bz recruits didn't play ahead of Dino recruits at all last year or even the year before. No basis for that. No reason to think about it in anymore detail.

The quotes posted by Slothrop are downright pathetic. I wonder if any of those gentlemen would claim those quotes today?

All those quotes were setups by these notables to sabotage LOWF...

"As those players left, [Redacted] had his own choices: Play the remaining guys out of loyalty to the school and their decision to stay, or recruit his own guys and run from there. Last season, the culmination of players deciding to leave—some were asked to leave—and his faith in incoming freshmen made the decision clear. [Redacted] decided his team would play, not Gaudio’s, and gave significant minutes to six first-year players. As you might expect, the results were
What does this paragraph even mean? He seems to be implying that [Redacted] benched Dino's remaining players in favor of his own. There is just no basis in fact or even in AD spin to write this paragraph.

We'll, we all know that CJ sat on the end of the bench all of last year don't we?.............oh, wait............

Back