• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your encounters with wildlife

Caught these shots with my wildlife camera out back.

532453_786879929223_1907139370_n.jpg

179560_786880258563_305946029_n.jpg

311581_786880473133_2045191317_n.jpg

#2 and 3 is a fox #1 I believe is a coyote. I watched a huge one running around in my back yard last month.

When I first moved to CA, our apartment complex went up the hills near Griffith Park and across from Universal Studios. The coyotes never came down form the trees, but the deer came down to find food almost every day. We started leaving stuff out for them.

They deer never seemed afraid of us.

do you guys feel like you could take a coyote if one attacked you? i feel like i could take one out since they're not too big and seem less powerful than even some dogs.

Yea I think I could fight off one Coyote, but if they attacked in a pack I doubt it.

The fox I dont mind, I'd actually like to see a few more of them. We've got some massive coyotes across the river. The only time I've ever been truly scared near my house was when I got surrounded by a pack of coyotes. We were walking out in the field and you could hear them, and when you would shine a flashlight on them, all you could see were a few dozen eyes staring at you as they stalked us. We've had a couple of the packs attack our neighbors dog, including a shepherd/lab mix. Below is a pic from a few years back.

33789_181395191885850_1488069_n.jpg

That's Logan Buchanan who played linebacker for UNC a few years ago, shot 1/4 mile from my house.

A buddy of mine was attacked by a coyote while turkey hunting. The thing snuck up around him while he was at the base of a tree...He threw him off, but not until he got bit in the arm. Off to the Doctor for rabies shots. Very scary stuff.

The only animal not scared of coyotes are donkeys.

I'm going to be spending all of next week camping in the woods of northern Maine. I'm sure to have a run in or two with wildlife. I understand they've seen a few bears near the area we're going.

So far this week, I have caught 1 oppossum and 1 raccoon on my deck with my Hav-a-Hart trap. They have absolutely decimated our deck and yard gardens this year. The hunter in me wanted to drill them, but they are just doing what is natural. Hauled them 4 miles down the road and released them. Now, if they come back, all bets are off. Hardest part was getting them to come out of the cage. Took over a half hour each to get them to come out. I guess animals get Stockholm Syndrome also. Who knew?

we caught 4 racoons last month that were living in a huge oak tree in our yard. and two squirrels before we figured out the right bait for racoons.

honey bun and a can of cat food

btw, the cat food was f-n disgusting. after we stopped catching the coons one can had been out there in the heat for a few days and it was honestly the most disgusting thing i have ever seen, smelled, and experienced when i went to pick it up, and that includes some murder scenes. it was gross.

Last edited:
The fox I dont mind, I'd actually like to see a few more of them. We've got some massive coyotes across the river. The only time I've ever been truly scared near my house was when I got surrounded by a pack of coyotes. We were walking out in the field and you could hear them, and when you would shine a flashlight on them, all you could see were a few dozen eyes staring at you as they stalked us. We've had a couple of the packs attack our neighbors dog, including a shepherd/lab mix. Below is a pic from a few years back.

That's Logan Buchanan who played linebacker for UNC a few years ago, shot 1/4 mile from my house.

That is one big, healthy looking Coyote. The ones coming in from the Shenandoahs are mangly, scruffy looking things.

Posting pics of dead wolves got me a warning from turf on more than one occasion.

I'm going to be spending all of next week camping in the woods of northern Maine. I'm sure to have a run in or two with wildlife. I understand they've seen a few bears near the area we're going.

We've had a bear in our neighborhood in the past month that was tearing down bird feeders. Or, it was attracted by women on their periods. Not sure.

The mix breeding with wolves and lack of natural resources are making coyotes more aggressive and pack hunters.

I was playing at lovely Winston Lake one time and came across a mother fox and her babies on the 5th (?) hole. It was the cutest thing I've ever seen, they were just frolicking and if they wandered too far the mom would make a noise and they'd come back. They'd make excellent coats.

Back