• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your encounters with wildlife

woah I thought I saw a beaver at my lady friends parents house near a creek but I bet it was one of these instead. we were in southern va north of greensboro. ut-ohhhhhhhhhhh

I'll have to double check the tail next time. It would be one fat honking groundhog.
Dont be a pussy Chup. You are a board super hero. Pussy is not an option. Peace love and kill that fucking swamp rat. I am a guy who will never kill an innocent animal, but if it is a swamp rat, kill it and dont be a pussy. This is mission critical.

nutria are nothing but bad. I have killed hundreds with no regret and still feel bad about the one rabbit I shot and never will hunt again because of it.

Nutrias are taking over. They'll be everywhere in ten years.

Actually, they're everywhere now that it's not exteremely cold. They'll just be more obvious in ten years and nobody will ask what they are.

Taste like chicken, so I hear.

Are you suggesting these things have escaped the Fire Swamp?

2po2vig.jpg

woah I thought I saw a beaver at my lady friends parents house near a creek but I bet it was one of these instead. we were in southern va north of greensboro. ut-ohhhhhhhhhhh

i thought this was going a different direction.

Nutrias are taking over. They'll be everywhere in ten years.

Actually, they're everywhere now that it's not exteremely cold. They'll just be more obvious in ten years and nobody will ask what they are.

yes, but how do they taste? We have to have something to overcome the looming bacon shortage.

I like the idea of El Chupe trying to kill one of these critters with his bare hands. Like, hiding in a bush behind the Bungalow, jumping on top of it, and strangling it to death. Or just punching it in the face until it dies.

I was hanging out at my neighbors and saw these guys walk up. 9 turkeys. Sadly, I was sans shotgun at the time.
jarahynu.jpg

I was hanging out at my neighbors and saw these guys walk up. 9 turkeys. Sadly, I was sans shotgun at the time.
jarahynu.jpg

The turkeys on the farm my grandfather runs up in Stokes are like that. They're almost tame.

We've seen them in the corn field across the river, but never on our side. The most we've counted in one flock across the river was 46.

Wild turkeys are baffling to me. Sometimes they'll just randomly walk up on you and seem almost like pets, and others they are probably the most finicky, spook-prone animals on the planet. My uncle's old company paid for him to go out on a really nice guided trip, and he ended up getting skunked for a whole day in a ground blind. A month or so later, he was out on his land behind his house and shot 2 (I think this is illegal).Would have shot three if his gun didn't jam. Called them right to him.

Well, I've been trying to get rid of a opossum that has been tearing up my trash at night. I set up a trap last night, baited it with some salmon, and checked this morning. Damn if I didn't trap a raccoon. Of course, Animal Control wanted nothing to do with it. I went out there and did a quick release and let it free. My preggers wife is freaking out because she thinks I need a raccoon shot JUST IN CASE there was saliva on the trap and that got on me then into my eyes or mouth and thus into my bloodstream. It's been a rather text and phone called filled day...

Anyone know of anything that attracts opossums and not raccoons? I'm guessing no?

Last edited:
Once she's half asleep tonight, get some tums and chew them up. It'll make your mouth start foaming and try to get her attention. If you can record this interaction, that's even better.

I had an interesting encounter yesterday afternoon. I was mowing the three acres in front of my house, and the grass was maybe 6" tall. As I'm mowing, I hear something squeal and look to see a newborn deer scampering away. It couldnt have been more than a couple days old, and the mother had hid it in the grass while she went out foraging for food. She did a great job of hiding it too, because the dogs were out there earlier and didnt come across it, and I didnt see it either. Thankfully the dogs were inside at the time, because they'd have most likely chased it down. It awkwardly ran away into the woods behind the house. It was about the size of a cat, and you could tell the leg muscles hadnt completely formed yet because of how it was running. I've never seen a deer that young before.

not a personal encounter but this is pretty damn cool (fyi, f-bomb in the first few seconds):

Back