• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Zeller Tip

That's interesting. I thought it would be credited the same as if the ball bounced off a player and went into the basket as a 3-pointer. As a 2, I figured it would be the closest player.

PH, by rule, one time the original shot hits the floor or another player, it ends. It it then goes in the hole it is scored as a 2. I figured it would be credited to the nearest Duke player, but who knows, it might be a team goal just like a missed shot that goes out of bounds get credited as a team rebound.

For instance, if a player were to attempt a full court shot near the end of a half, the shot comes up short, bounces on the floor and then into the goal, it is a 2 pointer

This is how it should have been scored correctly. It wasn't

Page 66 Rule 5--Scoring & timong Regulations. Sec 1 Article 2a. "such a field goal shall not be credited to a player in the scorebook and shall be indicated with a footnote"

Sounds like nobody should get credit & it is just footnoted at the bottom of the score book, just like an official warning for one of the four delays of the game.

What would keeper have done under game pressure?

It would be almost impossible to have touched Rivers' shot without being goal tending.

Agreed, if the rule is that the shot must have a chance for there to be goaltending.

The question is whether it's goaltending if the end result is that you help a shot go in.

I assume the answer is yes, which is why we never see anyone attempt what lectro described.

Agreed, if the rule is that the shot must have a chance for there to be goaltending.

The question is whether it's goaltending if the end result is that you help a shot go in.

I assume the answer is yes, which is why we never see anyone attempt what lectro described.

One time a tip or deflection is made by the offense, the 3 point shot has ended & if it goes in it is a 2. If the defense goal tended or basket interfered on a 3 pointer, it would be scored as a 3

Page 66 Rule 5--Scoring & timong Regulations. Sec 1 Article 2a. "such a field goal shall not be credited to a player in the scorebook and shall be indicated with a footnote"

Sounds like nobody should get credit & it is just footnoted at the bottom of the score book, just like an official warning for one of the four delays of the game.

What would keeper have done under game pressure?

That is when some little Johnny at the Y takes the ball to the wrong goal. Different situation here. Kelly's shot went it although it hit Zeller along the way.

That is when some little Johnny at the Y takes the ball to the wrong goal. Different situation here. Kelly's shot went it although it hit Zeller along the way.

Or maybe a little Johnny coached by old man Gary at the WCCC

Never the less, the opponent scored a bucket in the opponents goal and no Kelly's shot did not "go". Kelly's shot ended when it had no chance of going in the basket and it was touched by Zeller. Therefore Little Tyler took it to the wrong goal in the Dean Dome YMCA

Never the less, the opponent scored a bucket in the opponents goal and no Kelly's shot did not "go". Kelly's shot ended when it had no chance of going in the basket and it was touched by Zeller. Therefore Little Tyler took it to the wrong goal in the Dean Dome YMCA

It had a chance after it hit Zeller's hand.

Nevertheless is one word. It is opponent's goal not opponents. It is "go.", not "go".

that's better. back to normal. Keeper being a prick.

So any tipped 3-point attempt, even if it's tipped by a defender behind the 3-point line, should only count as a two if it somehow goes in?

From what I am reading, the NCAA rule is slightly different. "A player scores a field goal in the opponent's basket, it shall count 2 points regardless of the location from where it was released. Such a FG shall NOT be credited to a player in the scorebook but shall be indicated with a footnote."

Zeller tip was on a goal that was obviously not going in the basket so the initial try from 3 points could not be awarded 3 pts. But if a player were to have his initial shot tipped by a defender from inside or outside the 3 pt arc and it goes in, it is awarded 3 points.

Other stuff--Rule 4 which is all the definitions--# 73 Try for goal--a try shall end when successful, when it is certain that it is unsuccessful, when the try hits the floor or when the ball becomes dead.

Keeper, a tip is a separate shot.

Kelly's shot was ruled a successful attempt. It counted only two points because it was legally touched by an opponent. The ball never hit the floor.

Kelly's shot was ruled a successful attempt. It counted only two points because it was legally touched by an opponent. The ball never hit the floor.

So if I shoot, miss, and my own teammate tips it how is that different?

That is if no shot had been attempted by the other team. This was a continuation of Kelly's shot.

That distinction isn't in the NBA rule. "Accidentally" could apply equally to an attempt at the wrong basket and to Zeller's misguided tip.

Your teammate would receive credit for a two point basket.

Right, I know, because it is a tip. So in this situation noone should be credited and it should be a footnote indicating who tipped it per this rule "When a player scores a field goal in the opponent’s basket, it shall count two points for the opponent regardless of the location on the playing court from where it was released. Such a field goal shall not be credited to a player in the scorebook but shall be indicated with a footnote."

This is the exact same thing as a teammate tipping it, so it shouldn't count as a "continuation" of Kelly's shot or whatever you are advocating.

Back