• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Zeller Tip

That distinction isn't in the NBA rule. "Accidentally" could apply equally to an attempt at the wrong basket and to Zeller's misguided tip.

If Kelly's shot had hit the floor and Zeller picked it up and lost control of the ball and it went in the hoop I would score that as a team basket in a footnote. Wednesday night Kelly attempted a shot and it went in the basket. If legally touched by an opponent before it went in by rule it is a two point basket.

If Kelly's shot had hit the floor and Zeller picked it up and lost control of the ball and it went in the hoop I would score that as a team basket in a footnote. Wednesday night Kelly attempted a shot and it went in the basket. If legally touched by an opponent before it went in by rule it is a two point basket.

Again, explain to me how this is different than my teammate tipping it. If Zeller tipping it is a continuation of the same attempt, then why is a teammate tipping it not the same thing? Instead we count that as a separate shot and give him credit.

Again, explain to me how this is different than my teammate tipping it. If Zeller tipping it is a continuation of the same attempt, then why is a teammate tipping it not the same thing? Instead we count that as a separate shot and give him credit.

You can't give Zeller credit because he plays for the opponent. It has to go to somebody. Kelly shot the ball so he gets credit.

I understand that's your view. I don't understand its basis in the rules. And I thought the goal here was to understand the applicable rule, not the rule you would write.

You can't give Zeller credit because he plays for the opponent. It has to go to somebody. Kelly shot the ball so he gets credit.

No. Kelly didn't shoot the ball. As you can see with the analogous situation on offense, a tip is treated as a separate shot. Therefore, you go with the footnote.

No. Kelly didn't shoot the ball. As you can see with the analogous situation on offense, a tip is treated as a separate shot. Therefore, you go with the footnote.

How about this. A player throws the ball from the back court toward the goal. There is a defender who does not see the ball and the ball hits him in the head. The ball then goes in the basket. How many points and to whom do you reward the points?

How about this. A player throws the ball from the back court toward the goal. There is a defender who does not see the ball and the ball hits him in the head. The ball then goes in the basket. How many points and to whom do you reward the points?

I think the Harlem Globetrotters get about 20 points for that particular shot.

Who knows? Too bad that didn't happen here. Here it was tipped.

What about a 6th man situation where someone shoots the ball, it initially goes backwards, hits two opposing teammates in the balls, the first in front of the three point line, the second behind, and then goes in with the aid of a ghost, but never hits the floor?

Same philosophy. Legally touched my a defender before the ball hit the floor which would have ended the shot.

Shots end when they hit the floor?

Now you're really pulling stuff out of your *&(^%.

What about a 6th man situation where someone shoots the ball, it initially goes backwards, hits two opposing teammates in the balls, the first in front of the three point line, the second behind, and then goes in with the aid of a ghost, but never hits the floor?

That would be a legal touch for two points.

Shots end when they hit the floor?

Now you're really pulling stuff out of your *&(^%.

If it hits the floor the shot has ended . At that point if an opponent picked up the ball and put it through the basket it would be scored a team basket in a footnote.

Same philosophy. Legally touched my a defender before the ball hit the floor which would have ended the shot.

Not the same at all. Here the officials deemed it was a shot that could not go in, so the shot has technically ended, so they did not call a goal tend. If the shot has ended and an opposing player puts the ball in the wrong basket, it goes to the team & is a footnote at the bottom

Not the same at all. Here the officials deemed it was a shot that could not go in, so the shot has technically ended, so they did not call a goal tend. If the shot has ended and an opposing player puts the ball in the wrong basket, it goes to the team & is a footnote at the bottom

They did not call a goal tend because when Zeller became involved with the play his touching of the ball was legal because it was not in the cylinder. No?

I can't believe it, but I am agreeing with Reff (I guess I can since it is between keeper and reff).

Back