• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Bagwell getting in ahead of Vlad, Bonds and Clemens makes a mockery of the HoF. Jeff Bagwell was a nice player on a good team for a decade, but neither he nor his team was ever great.

Also, one of the arguments against Bonds despite the lack of a positive PED test is the change in body type. Bagwell went from a skinny corner infielder to a hulk right in the middle of the steroid era. Yes, there was no BALCO-like investigation with the feds using subpoena power and the threat of putting others in jail to conclusively determine PED use for Bags, but do you know why? Because he was Jeff F-ing Bagwell and no one cared that he was using PEDs. The force of the federal government got behind trying to establish Barry Bonds was using because he was the greatest in the game for decades; Barry Bonds mattered; Jeff Bagwell was a footnote. Unless there is going to be an extensive Balco-like investigation of every HoF candidate that played the game between 1990 and the mid 2000s; you can't elect guys like Jeff Bagwell (or Pudge Rodriguez who has a direct link to PEDs as well) and keep out far superior players simply because the time was taken to investigate them, but not less accomplished players that did the same thing.

Last edited:
Mark Trumbo and the Orioles are rumored to be on the verge of reaching an agreement on 3 or 4 year contract for less than what the Orioles offered Trumbo back in December (4 years for $40 million). Amazing how many players (more accurately their agents) misjudged the free agent market. Teams waited the players out (Encarnacion, Batista, Trumbo, and there are still a ton of unsigned free agents), and players are now agreeing to deals for less than the ones they passed up.

Buyer's market for power hitters who can't field.

Trumbo staying in Baltimore was the best thing for both sides. Maybe Buck will take a cue from Francona and Maddon and actually use his best pitcher when it matters.

The Trumbo deal seems pretty team friendly to me. 3 years, 37.5 million with a small portion deferred. Not a bad deal for the reining HR king who is only 31. He is apparently well like in the clubhouse as well, so that is always a good sign. I also think the Wellington Castillo move was underrated. It will be interesting to see where Wieters lands and for how much. I am not convinced that he can catch for more than a couple of years.

Beef has a good bat and a good arm, but hes a bad framer, if you buy into that - very suitable for an AL team.

hoping the trumbo deal/power market means the rays will be able nab a chris carter or napoli on the cheap.

Andy Marte, former top prospect of the Braves, was also killed in a separate car accident.

Official 2016-17 MLB HOT STOVE THREAD (Sale to BoSox)

Jeff Bagwell getting in ahead of Vlad, Bonds and Clemens makes a mockery of the HoF. Jeff Bagwell was a nice player on a good team for a decade, but neither he nor his team was ever great.

Also, one of the arguments against Bonds despite the lack of a positive PED test is the change in body type. Bagwell went from a skinny corner infielder to a hulk right in the middle of the steroid era. Yes, there was no BALCO-like investigation with the feds using subpoena power and the threat of putting others in jail to conclusively determine PED use for Bags, but do you know why? Because he was Jeff F-ing Bagwell and no one cared that he was using PEDs. The force of the federal government got behind trying to establish Barry Bonds was using because he was the greatest in the game for decades; Barry Bonds mattered; Jeff Bagwell was a footnote. Unless there is going to be an extensive Balco-like investigation of every HoF candidate that played the game between 1990 and the mid 2000s; you can't elect guys like Jeff Bagwell (or Pudge Rodriguez who has a direct link to PEDs as well) and keep out far superior players simply because the time was taken to investigate them, but not less accomplished players that did the same thing.

Bagwell was more deserving than Vlad, ignoring any PED issues.

Too many players are getting killed because of drunk driving. I hope to see the league raise awareness/education on the matter.

Too many players are getting killed because of drunk driving. I hope to see the league raise awareness/education on the matter.

I hadn't heard anything about drunk driving in these two instances, although admittedly, I haven't read all that much about either. Was it DD for sure?

I hadn't heard anything about drunk driving in these two instances, although admittedly, I haven't read all that much about either. Was it DD for sure?

Last edited:
Ugh. Can't think it'd be too much just to hire a full time driver for a winter in DR.

yuuuuuuuuuuup

slide dickerson to 1b and brad miller gets to play 2b where he belongs. that allows us to sign carter or naps to dh. i'm a fan. that forsythe trade to get him from the pads was a fleecing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back