• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/duke Game Thread

I have to part ways with you there, jhmd.

Mike Krzyzewski

NCAA Tournament: 32 Years (90-27), 12 Final Fours, 5 Championships

90-27 in the NCAAT is a winning percentage of 77%....against the best teams in the country which made the NCAAT. In my book, that qualifies as dominance.

Most people on here realize K might be the GOAT, but he also has two of the worst losses in NCAA history to Lehigh (15) and Mercer (14), not to mention VCU (11), Eastern Michigan (9) and Providence (10).

To be fair, when you play enough games in the tournament you are bound to get upset at some point. The Lehigh and Mercer losses were awful, but the other losses were to teams who were much better than their seeds indicate.

To be fair, when you play enough games in the tournament you are bound to get upset at some point. The Lehigh and Mercer losses were awful, but the other losses were to teams who were much better than their seeds indicate.
Makes the fact that Roy has never lost 1st round pretty amazing.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

absolutely loving all the praise for K and Roy in here. Anyone need any tissues for their screens?

absolutely loving all the praise for K and Roy in here. Anyone need any tissues for their screens?

Well, the numbers don't lie....and here are the numbers:

Coach K: 12 Final Fours, 5 NCAA Championships

Roy Williams: 8 Final Fours, 2 NCAA Championships

WF...in 78 years of NCAA Tournaments: 1 Final Four

Here is a list of 20 illustrious basketball programs that have played in an NCAA Final Four since WF last played in (it's only) one:

Princeton, UTEP, Dayton, Drake, Jacksonville, St Bonaventure, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky, Rutgers, Charlotte, Indiana State, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Seton Hall, Massachusetts, George Mason, VCU, Butler, Wichita State & DePaul.

And our fans are talking shit about Coach K & Roy Williams?

Last edited:
And who cares if Roy's championships were won with ineligible players?

New ESPN bracketology just dropped a few minutes ago. Wake not in the field, however Michigan, GT, wichita state, Virginia tech, Miami, Syracuse, and Michigan state are in. Wake is better than almost all of those teams.

Anyone that has both Syracuse and GT in isn't looking at teams remaining schedules when making their predictions.

New ESPN bracketology just dropped a few minutes ago. Wake not in the field, however Michigan, GT, wichita state, Virginia tech, Miami, Syracuse, and Michigan state are in. Wake is better than almost all of those teams.

Win two at home and one on the road and we're :dancindeac:

Yeah, we are understandably out at below 2 games under .500 in the ACC.

Get to 8-10 though and it starts to become a different story.

I do wish we'd gotten the likes of UVa, FSU, Notre Dame, Syracuse and/or VT at home though. We're unlucky our home sched has consisted of the top three teams in the league, only Miami and I guess GT from the middle, and then the bottom of the league (admittedly, we blew it against Clemson). I think we would've fared at least as well against teams 4-10 in our building as the likes of VT, Miami, GT and Syracuse have done

Last edited:

Here is a list of 20 illustrious basketball programs that have played in an NCAA Final Four since WF last played in (it's only) one:

Princeton, UTEP, Dayton, Drake, Jacksonville, St Bonaventure, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky, Rutgers, Charlotte, Indiana State, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Seton Hall, Massachusetts, George Mason, VCU, Butler, Wichita State & DePaul.

At least spell correctly, you ignorant fuck.

I understand that recruiting is part of coaching, and I am not trying to take anything away from Roy or K, but, Roy coached at Kansas and UNC which are 4th and 1st on the list of HS AAs with 35 and 66 - and K has coached at Duke which is #2 on the list with 56. Wake has signed 8 in its history. It takes a combination of talent, coaching and luck to win and advance in the tourney. If you are weak in one of the three, you need to be stronger in the other two.

I understand that recruiting is part of coaching, and I am not trying to take anything away from Roy or K, but, Roy coached at Kansas and UNC which are 4th and 1st on the list of HS AAs with 35 and 66 - and K has coached at Duke which is #2 on the list with 56. Wake has signed 8 in its history. It takes a combination of talent, coaching and luck to win and advance in the tourney. If you are weak in one of the three, you need to be stronger in the other two.

It's not just Carolina and Duke. Take a look at that list of 20 schools that have played in an NCAA Final Four since WF. How do they stack up against WF in recruiting advantages? I understand that WF cannot hope to compete against Duke & Carolina for most recruits....but it looks to me like, playing in the best basketball conference in the country, they could compete against schools like George Mason, VCU, Massachusetts, St Bonaventure, Dayton & Drake, etc....but all of those schools have played in a Final Four since WF has played in one. How much money has WF spent on coaches & facilities, etc over the years compared to those schools?

President Obama was only seven months old the last time WF played in the Final Four.

It's not just Carolina and Duke. Take a look at that list of 20 schools that have played in an NCAA Final Four since WF. How do they stack up against WF in recruiting advantages? I understand that WF cannot hope to compete against Duke & Carolina for most recruits....but it looks to me like, playing in the best basketball conference in the country, they could compete against schools like George Mason, VCU, Massachusetts, St Bonaventure, Dayton & Drake, etc....but all of those schools have played in a Final Four since WF has played in one. How much money has WF spent on coaches & facilities, etc over the years compared to those schools?

President Obama was only seven months old the last time WF played in the Final Four.

Remember the three pillars. Many of those schools caught lightning in a bottle one year and lucked into a final 4, or lucked into a couple of recruits that way over-performed their ranking, or whatever. I'm sure there are other schools that have never made a final 4, or not made one for decades, that make you scratch your head (Has Gonzaga ever made it?). There are only so many great coaches to go around - coaches that can both bring in the top recruits and build a team and a program. We have never really had one - but it is not for want of trying. We have had long stretches of our history where we were one of the top 20 programs in the country - we just have not been lucky enough to reach the promised land.

I have no idea why you take such joy in pointing out our futility. It is truly strange. It is not like any of us here can change anything Wake does - we are just fans. Fans that want desperately for our team to reach the top and fans that continue to hope and think that we can get there. If you want to believe that we cannot or will not, that is up to you. Constantly rubbing it in our face is unnecessary and more than annoying.

Remember the three pillars. Many of those schools caught lightning in a bottle one year and lucked into a final 4, or lucked into a couple of recruits that way over-performed their ranking, or whatever. I'm sure there are other schools that have never made a final 4, or not made one for decades, that make you scratch your head (Has Gonzaga ever made it?). There are only so many great coaches to go around - coaches that can both bring in the top recruits and build a team and a program. We have never really had one - but it is not for want of trying. We have had long stretches of our history where we were one of the top 20 programs in the country - we just have not been lucky enough to reach the promised land.

I have no idea why you take such joy in pointing out our futility. It is truly strange. It is not like any of us here can change anything Wake does - we are just fans. Fans that want desperately for our team to reach the top and fans that continue to hope and think that we can get there. If you want to believe that we cannot or will not, that is up to you. Constantly rubbing it in our face is unnecessary and more than annoying.

Fans that fucked over the best coach we ever had.

I feel like that 1995 team wins the national title if Randolph had two working shoulders. Those later Duncan teams had chemistry issues, but that 1995 team had a better shot than 2005. 2005 was peaked too early.

Back