• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bradberry going with number 24... :naughty: New swagger in town.

http://www.panthers.com/news/articl...ted-gold/9f65ab7b-6b4c-4155-bde5-40efe1c44445

Panthers director of college scouting talks about all the UFAs. No question about where Cash will play:

"He's a linebacker. We got him to be a linebacker," Gregory said. "He's 205, has been as heavy as 215, 220. He's got a frame to get bigger. We see him as an outside linebacker. His production translates to outside linebacker for us.

"He's aggressive, a very good tackler. He's smart and has cover skills. He fits into the mold of a poor man's Shaq Thompson. Now we have two of them."

http://www.panthers.com/news/articl...ted-gold/9f65ab7b-6b4c-4155-bde5-40efe1c44445

Panthers director of college scouting talks about all the UFAs. No question about where Cash will play:

"He's a linebacker. We got him to be a linebacker," Gregory said. "He's 205, has been as heavy as 215, 220. He's got a frame to get bigger. We see him as an outside linebacker. His production translates to outside linebacker for us.

"He's aggressive, a very good tackler. He's smart and has cover skills. He fits into the mold of a poor man's Shaq Thompson. Now we have two of them."

Referring to a first year player as a "poor man's" version of a second year player seems strange.

Referring to a first year player as a "poor man's" version of a second year player seems strange.

Not necessarily considering one is a UDFA and the other was last year's first round pick.

I get that, still seems strange to talk about your own players like that. I would just leave it at "he fits the mold of Shaq Thompson".

I get that, still seems strange to talk about your own players like that. I would just leave it at "he fits the mold of Shaq Thompson".

He's objectively more affordable. Their contract numbers are public. He literally is a poor man's Shaq Thompson.

He's objectively more affordable. Their contract numbers are public. He literally is a poor man's Shaq Thompson.

Haha, I didn't think of it in the literal sense. I think of "poor man's" anything as a pejorative phrase/insult.

Interesting pre-draft article comparing CBs in this class.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...or-athlete-sparq-cornerbacks-in-the-nfl-draft

Got the link from this CSR article:
http://www.catscratchreader.com/201...rs-panthers-2016-draft-class-ranked-dead-last

Bradberry had the fourth highest SPARQ rating in the "Elite NFL athlete" category. He didn't have great production but that's probably because Samford opponents didn't throw to the NFL prospect.

Nice find.

And Worley and Sanchez were #3 and #4 respectively when sorted by "Production Points Per Game" which breaks down like this:

Production Points Scoring System

Stat​
Points​
Tackle​
1​
Tackle For Loss​
3​
QB Hurries​
3​
Pass Breakup​
3​
Sack​
6​
Forced Fumble​
6​
Interception​
9​

Read further into that article and it goes on to graph athletic ability vs production, and all 3 of our CBs are either productive but not as athletic (Worley & Sanchez) or athletic but under-performed (Bradberry). A little disconcerting, but still points to potential.

Read further into that article and it goes on to graph athletic ability vs production, and all 3 of our CBs are either productive but not as athletic (Worley & Sanchez) or athletic but under-performed (Bradberry). A little disconcerting, but still points to potential.

Yeah. That's a good take. It also suggests that Bradberry has #1 CB potential in that he is a better athletic physical matchup for elite WRs. On the other hand, Worley and Sanchez can be productive when the ball is thrown their way as a #2 CB.

GMan on the radio this morning talking about all 3 of them, that they all have a history of interceptions, which is critical for the Panthers' D system. He said that, in his opinion, guys who have INTs in college can do it in the pros, but guys who didn't do it in college likely won't do it in the pros. Can't teach hands or a nose for the ball.

I think you can teach guys to be a little bit more aggressive on jumping routes or work on timing, but I agree with a good portion of that take from GMan. And again, he's done a solid job so he gets a lot of leeway IMO.

I'm really excited for this upcoming season.

Interesting reel of UDFA Keyarris Garrett vs. Oklahoma (14 rec, 189 yards, 1 TD in a 52-38 loss). From what I can tell, it's every play, not just highlights. He's mostly matched up against 5th round pick Zack Sanchez.

What I learned from that is that this is Tre Boston's mom:

usatsi_9101718.jpg

I'm so old. I'm checking out an NFL player's mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back