• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

With this trade, seems like you can kind of see the lineup they have in mind for 2017 -

1B- Freeman
2B- Albies/Jace
SS - Simmons
3B - Olivera
RF - Markakis
CF - Mallex Smith
LF - ?
C - ?

All of those guys, save Freeman, Simmons and Markakis, should be relatively cheap, and the rotation should be fairly young and affordable as well, so they should have some money to spend. Seems like they're definitely targeting higher OBP guys who don't strike out much (albeit at the expense of power). Wieters would seem to make a lot of sense, but won't come cheap.

I think CF is still a question mark.

The Mets guys we got for Johnson/Uribe both had strong debuts last night.

Braves tried to get Gary Sanchez from the Yankees in exchange for Maybin but NYY rejected.

The continued interest in catchers seems to indicate Bethancourt's prospects are looking poor. Surprised we haven't shipped him yet.

Was out of town last week, so catching up on the trade talk. Couple of things:

Any new front office regime is going to have a preference for "their guys" for lack of a better term. Wood and Peraza were both Wren guys, whereas Mallex/Jace are both Hart/Coppy guys, as are all the pitchers we have acquired recently (Wisler, Folty, Banuelos, Tyrell). Thus, it is not all that surprising that they would essentially choose the guys they acquired over Wood/Peraza.

Kiley McDaniels and Jeff Sullivan with FanGraphs and Keith Law all had well reasoned takes on the deal. Law is Insider and Kiley is in a chat, so those are pasted below. Link to Sullivan's column also below

Kiley McDaniel: Not unjustifiable. I explained this on a radio interview yesterday (I RT’d it @kileymcd if you want to listen) that ATL looks at this rebuild as acquiring the big pieces, then filling in small pieces later. They want to get multiple aces as the backbone, so they’re acquiring upside arms. They think Wood (delivery risk, salary will increase) and Peraza (not as good as hoped) as small pieces and Olivera on that kind of contract as a big piece.

So, in the big picture, packaging small pieces and getting another high upside arm (Bird), another pick that could be even better than that and a big piece makes total sense. Olivera has some risk given the age and injury history but all of these guys do, or else they wouldn’t be available

Keith Law
For Atlanta, therefore, this deal revolves around Olivera. If the Braves are right and he's an above-average or better regular right now, then it's a good trade for them, especially since they'll only have to pay him $32 million over five years. Getting Bird and the pick are positives, but their present value isn't enough to materially alter the balance of the deal right now. If they're too optimistic and/or Olivera's elbow blows out, then they gave up a lot of future value in Wood and Peraza to acquire a player who doesn't do enough to push them toward contention in 2017 when Boondoggle Field opens in Cobb County.

Sullivan:
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/braves-dump-risk-exchange-it-for-risk/

That was fun. As bad as we are, hard not to have fun watching them. Jace with a monster night.

Good win. At least we have guys that aren't going to mail it in. I will continue to root for this team day in and day out because they don't give up. Nice to see CJ get a couple big knocks also. Can't root against the guy.

Freeman put on the DL again. Should he just shut it down?

Clears more money for 2017. Braves operating like an NBA team in terms of the way they are "clearing cap space."

Albies has a hairline fracture in his thumb & will be shut down for the season.

Last edited:
Whoops.

After last night's game + how excited he is to be here, I freaking love nick swisher already.

I've always liked Swish. He's always been a guy that loves to play the game and brings 100% every time out. I bet he's great to have in the clubhouse.

I like the trade, especially after seeing that both Swisher and Bourn are under contract through next yr, with options for 2017 (if 550 plate appearances), and the Indians gave $10 M to help cover their salaries. I initially thought we were just trying to unload Chris Johnson. I was also surprised that Bourn was only 32.

Back