• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

I like the trade, especially after seeing that both Swisher and Bourn are under contract through next yr, with options for 2017 (if 550 plate appearances), and the Indians gave $10 M to help cover their salaries. I initially thought we were just trying to unload Chris Johnson. I was also surprised that Bourn was only 32.

Think this should be the downside to the trade. Both are old and may be barely serviceable. Bourn relied on his speed and speed does not age well. Swisher's knees are shot and doesn't really have a place to play besides backup 1B & OF. It'd be great if their contracts were up after this season. Their options will most definitely not vest. The whole goal was to have CJ off the books in 2017 and this trade accomplishes that.

Think this should be the downside to the trade. Both are old and may be barely serviceable. Bourn relied on his speed and speed does not age well. Swisher's knees are shot and doesn't really have a place to play besides backup 1B & OF. It'd be great if their contracts were up after this season. Their options will most definitely not vest. The whole goal was to have CJ off the books in 2017 and this trade accomplishes that.

Maybe you're right. I just don't watch AL baseball. Maybe I'm just too excited by Swisher's debut. If they are not healthy/effective next yr, they won't be here in 2017. At least it gives us a couple of solid players to play next yr until young OF's are ready.

Allard made his debut, striking out the side in his inning of work. We were really fortunate he was still on the board.

Bethsncourt has been killing it in AAA. Hitting .319/.351/.469.

With how many passed balls? Strikes dropped?

1 passed ball/error. Thrown out 12 of 28 base stealers (43%), his highest rate since 2011 in Lynchburn (47%).

Pretty sure his passed ball came in his first game back in AAA, too - so a while ago.

From what I have read, if the Braves have not given up on C-Bet, they are pretty close.

Atlanta Braves ‏@Braves 3m3 minutes ago

Braves sign free-agent RHP Edwin Jackson (@EJ36) to Major League contract for the remainder of the 2015 season. Jackson will wear number 34

Shelby Miller has a 2.48 ERA and is 5-9 on the year.

That is because the Braves bats suck. Need I say that even when the Braves were good, winning 14 straight division titles or whatever the Braves brethren want to spat out, they were still the Buffalo Bills of Major League Baseball winning 1 title ONLY in that time in 1995 over the hapless Cleveland Indians....even though they had Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz & Avery pitching. At least the Bills could blame it on Norwood. I guess the Braves can blame it on Bobby Cox? Chipper Jones booting balls at 3rd or the Gold Club? Lonnie "skates" Smith over running balls in the outfield? The Braves even had umpire Eric "wide strike" Gregg in their back pocket in those days and couldn't win but 1 title. Damn. Cards have won 11 & in 2006 & 2011. May not win this year without better hitting but right now have the best record in baseball, best pitching in baseball & best young manager in baseball in Matheny.

This thread has the worst title in the history of the world

Savage?

Really?

Chane the title please

I didn't bother to read that, but it does make me feel good that the Reff wasted a chunk of whatever limited time he has left on this earth writing another dumb post.

That is because the Braves bats suck. Need I say that even when the Braves were good, winning 14 straight division titles or whatever the Braves brethren want to spat out, they were still the Buffalo Bills of Major League Baseball winning 1 title ONLY in that time in 1995 over the hapless Cleveland Indians....even though they had Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz & Avery pitching. At least the Bills could blame it on Norwood. I guess the Braves can blame it on Bobby Cox? Chipper Jones booting balls at 3rd or the Gold Club? Lonnie "skates" Smith over running balls in the outfield? The Braves even had umpire Eric "wide strike" Gregg in their back pocket in those days and couldn't win but 1 title. Damn. Cards have won 11 & in 2006 & 2011. May not win this year without better hitting but right now have the best record in baseball, best pitching in baseball & best young manager in baseball in Matheny.

Damn, dude, not sure why you feel the need to keep coming over here and posting the same "Buffalo Bills of baseball, Cards have 11" crap over and over and over, but as a Braves fan, allow me to respond.

Who gives a shit?

Every Braves fan wishes the Braves had won more than one championship (You do know the Bills didn't actually win any, so the metaphor doesn't exactly work, right?) But DAMN, those were fourteen fun years! I was a season ticket holder 1992-2000. The stadium was rocking every night, the Braves were all people talked about in the office, the invoice for playoff tickets would hit around the beginning of September, and the perforated sheet of tickets would be delivered not long after. That was always so cool! October baseball is the best and we had it for fourteen years in a row. And I was in the ballpark for all of it for nine of those years.

I loved every minute of it and if you were to tell me the Braves were going to go on another run of fourteen straight division championships with only one WS title, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

It's also funny hearing something like this from someone who posts about the SC Gamecocks all the time. Talk about the most delusional fan base in history who has had two HOF legendary coaches and can't do shit.

Back