• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

On the way to taking another L tonight. Maybe we sew up that #1 pick by the end of May. Gonna have to start watching the out of town scoreboard and cheering for the Twins.

2016 Atlanta Braves Thread: The Final Season at the Ted

How optimistic are the rest of you on Wisler on a 1-10 scale? I mean, other than Mallex Smith I guess this is the young dude on the current roster you'd like to see do something, but I don't get the sense folks really expect him to take a big step.

2016 Atlanta Braves Thread: The race to the bottom!

Twins-Braves worst to first World Series rematch in 2017, right?

I was planning on going to the Red Sox series in a few weeks. Think I'll save my money.

How optimistic are the rest of you on Wisler on a 1-10 scale? I mean, other than Mallex Smith I guess this is the young dude on the current roster you'd like to see do something, but I don't get the sense folks really expect him to take a big step.
Let's hope so. No reason to take him out when Fredi did yesterday.

Braves are 0-8.

1 more loss and they match the number of losses the GS Warriors have on the season.

Loss 9 actually just went final. Our best player is hitting .080 and got the day off.

Too late to redshirt Freddie Freeman so we get an extra year of eligibility down the road?

He should end up being a very serviceable 3/4 starter with a few seasons of #2 stuff if it all works out. If somethings don't break his way, a good #5. We should be seeing Blair up here sometime soon, as well as Jenkins. Many of the young guys will be up as September call ups with next season starting with a good bit of them in Atlanta.

I'm all for developing players, but this season is such a hopeless dumpster fire, I'd rather leave them all down so as not to start their service clocks.

In the absence of any hope or reason to cheer for this team right now, I'm kind of rooting to see how long the season opening losing streak can last. Worried that we're going to steal 1 of the next 3 from the Marlins (despite the fact we're pitching Perez, Norris and Chacin). After that we go Dodgers, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, so good chance of running the table and taking this baby into May if we can just avoid tripping up and winning one against the Fish.

Anyone with ESPN Insider want to post Keith Law's scouting notes on Dansby Swanson that posted today?

Staumont faced the Carolina Mudcats, Atlanta's high-A affiliate, who brought two of the team's best hitting prospects with them in Dansby Swanson and Braxton Davidson ... neither of whom particularly enjoyed the experience of facing Staumont, with Swanson striking out swinging on fastballs and Davidson working two long at-bats that ended in swinging strikeouts, one on a breaking ball at his back foot and one on a fastball up. Davidson's approach is excellent in terms of ball-strike recognition, but he needs to be more aggressive when he gets ahead in the count, which was a problem Monday, less so on Wednesday where he jumped on a first-pitch changeup for a single, then fell behind in his next at bat by swinging earlier in the count only to get a hit on a 1-2 breaking ball.

Swanson's bat speed is still intact and he showed the ability to make hard contact that made him the first overall pick in 2015, as well as the above-average defense at shortstop, but his base at the plate is still too wide and he turns his hips early, which might be part of why he started swinging and missing against the one major-league caliber arm (Staumont) he faced in the games I saw. I wouldn't change anything about my previous reports on him, but would like to see him narrow his stance slightly to see if it helps his timing, which so far has only mattered against better velocity.

Thanks. Going to see the Mudcats tonight, which means Swanson and Davidson likely to enjoy 0 for 8 night.

2016 Atlanta Braves Thread: The race to the bottom!

Dansby Swanson struck out in his first AB, but broke the Say Hey curse and ended up hitting 3 singles. Also turned a nice DP. He just kind of looks like a major leaguer. Has a certain charisma.

Braxton Davidson didn't do much, struck out a couple times and lined out hard to 3rd. He's smaller than I was expecting. Was thinking he was 6'4", but he's listed at 6'2" and from afar looked shorter than that.

Back