• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

Add me to the list of peeps who really liked Omar Infante.

Would also like to see Martin Prado back in a Braves uniform. I vaguely remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that this could happen next year, but I guess it's unlikely. But he is a free agent after this year so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

If the Natties sign Maitan and I burn down Nationals Park, y'all will pool your money for my defense, right?

A new Keith Law post...

Kevin Maitan, SS
Venezuela
Teams linked: Braves, Nationals
Maitan is a physical shortstop who has been the top international prospect since he was 14 years old because of the potential in his bat. He has surprising power for his age and a good feel to hit from both sides, although his right-handed swing looks more consistent. His hands are loose and quick, but the swing gets pretty long, and he could develop as Miguel Sano did, striking out often when young but developing better plate discipline as he grows because he's such a good hitter. He has no shot at remaining at shortstop in pro ball but has a plus arm, and he has a decent chance to stick at third base.
Atlanta has been known to have a deal in place with Maitan for over a year now, although the Nationals have been aggressive in trying to sign him, as well.

Good luck with the page clicks, Keith.

Aybar just made a legit great play in no man's land but I still can't help but think Simmons makes it back pedaling.

Good luck with the page clicks, Keith.

Aybar just made a legit great play in no man's land but I still can't help but think Simmons makes it back pedaling.

I've watched serval Angels games recently. Andrelton has looked like garbage.

Looks like an impressive haul for the Braves

The Braves are making their presence felt on the first day international prospects can sign, loading their Minor League system with several top international prospects, including top teenage infielder Kevin Maitan for $4.25 million, according to industry sources.

In addition to Maitan, the Braves agreed to terms with catcher Abrahan Gutierrez, ranked No. 18 on MLB.com's Top 30 International Prospects list, for $3.5 million; shortstop Yunior Severino, ranked No. 19, for $1 million; shortstop Yenci Pena, ranked No. 22, for $1 million and infielder Livan Soto, ranked No. 24, for $1 million. The club also agreed with right-handed pitcher Guillermo Zuniga of Colombia for $350,000 and right-handed pitcher Juan Contreras for $200,000.

Hopefully they got the international players they wanted since it looks like they will be pretty much out of the picture in the next couple drafts

In accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement, each team is allotted a $700,000 base and a bonus pool with four slot values based on the team's record in 2015 for the international signing period, which started on Saturday. Atlanta's overall pool total for this year's signing period is $4,766,000, which means the signings will thrust them into the maximum penalty.

Teams that exceed the pools by 0-5 percent have to pay a 100 percent tax. Teams that exceed the pools by 5-10 percent are not allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the next signing period, and they have to pay a 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Teams that exceed the pools by 10-15 percent are not allowed to sign a player for more than $300,000 during the next signing period, and they have to pay a 100 percent tax on the pool overage.

In the most severe penalty -- such as the Braves this period -- teams that exceed the pool by 15 percent or more are not allowed to sign a player for more than $300,000 during the next two signing periods, and they must pay a 100 percent tax on the pool overage.

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/187269078/braves-land-venezuelan-prospect-kevin-maitan

Last edited:
Looks like an impressive haul for the Braves

Hopefully they got the international players they wanted since it looks like they will be pretty much out of the picture in the next couple drafts

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/187269078/braves-land-venezuelan-prospect-kevin-maitan

We'll see what the new format is & penalies before we say we're sitting out the next few signing periods. That's the big reason we went crazy - because the format is changing & a lot of big spenders were sidelined.

I will take a dude who is compared to Miguel Cabrera, A-Rod, and Chipper. Look forward to watching him in like 2021.

Exactly. A nice haul and hope they're still in play for a few of the Red Sox guys and Cuban holdouts when they're demands come down. But this really does not solve our offensive issues. Ozzie was signed as a J2 in 2013, has been pushed aggressively and always one of the youngest players in the league, and probably won't make his debut until September.

Man oh man this game looks so great. ESPN has done a great job with coverage.

Back