• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

I've been to a couple of games this season and feel like with the impending move the whole experience was just kind of meh.

Planned on going last week when the Nats were in town since I haven't seen them this season but couldn't find the motivation to get to Turner Field despite seeing it from my office.

I've been to a couple of games this season and feel like with the impending move the whole experience was just kind of meh.

Planned on going last week when the Nats were in town since I haven't seen them this season but couldn't find the motivation to get to Turner Field despite seeing it from my office.

For me, it's not the impending move, but the terrible baseball and revolving cast of characters, a bunch of whom will never be heard from again. It's hard to get pumped up for guys you've never heard of playing 0.360 ball.

The never heard of's are better than the Beckham, Pierzynski, Francoeur, O'Flaherty's we keep running out there to keep pace on the number 1 pick. Shae Simmons has been off the DL for over a week. Why is he not in Atlanta?

The never heard of's are better than the Beckham, Pierzynski, Francoeur, O'Flaherty's we keep running out there to keep pace on the number 1 pick. Shae Simmons has been off the DL for over a week. Why is he not in Atlanta?

That's the reason I've had 0 interest in this team. Until Swanson's arrival, not even any interesting prospects on this year's team (especially with Mallex Smith hurt). Anyway, it's fine, I'm not mad, we knew this would be a lost season, and I'm intrigued to get the first pick in the draft. It's just been weird not watching or listening to Braves games for an entire season.

Is there a home run #1 pick for this next draft like Harper or Strasburg?

do the best players usually go #1 (or top couple) anyway? drafts are funny and I don't completely understand them yet.

I've read no but there are people on this thread that know a lot more than me about amateur prospects.

Harper and Strasburg are/were once in a generation (or I guess twice in a generation) type "sure-things" --- just so happens the Nats lucked out and got them in back to back years.

Jeren Kendall (Vandy OFer) and Hunter Greene (HS LHP) probably have the most buzz for 1/1 right now, but it is REALLY early.

Moniak was not on anyone's radar for 1/1 this time last year, and one of the guys who was (Alec Hansen) ended up going 49th.

In general though, 2017 class is considered stronger than 2016.

Last edited:
Our last #1 before Dansby (which doesnt really count bc trade) was Chipper Jones in 1990.

There are some busts but #1 is usually pretty cant miss bros.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_Major_League_Baseball_draft_picks

JUp, David Price, Strasburg, Harper, Josh Hamilton, Carlos Correra, Joe Mauer, ARod were all #1

Depends what you mean by " usually can't miss" I guess, from 1990-2013, 10 of 24 (42%) were busts. 2 were decent major leaguers, and then 11 had at least one All Star appearance. (Leaving Josh Hamilton out as he kinda defies categorization).

So, basically a 50/50 shot of the guy being an All Star.

I feel like the track record of #1 picks is pretty solid these days since the advent of the internets and Moneyball and teams just generally making better decisions. Seems like the only true busts since the mid-90s were all value picks (Bryan Bullington, Matt Bush, Tim Beckham, Matt Anderson). I feel reasonably confident the Braves will not fuck up the #1 pick. Picking first also means they'll have more money than anyone else for the rest of the draft.

I don't mean "how often does the best player pan out?" I mean "how often does the best player go #1?" I know the MLB draft is a different animal than the NBA or NFL.

I don't mean "how often does the best player pan out?" I mean "how often does the best player go #1?" I know the MLB draft is a different animal than the NBA or NFL.

MLB teams with the #1 overall pick passing on a consensus #1 player for money reasons isn't something that would typically happen these days with draft slotting.

Back