• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

Jimbo is gonna be pissed if Auburn ends up opening.

Jimbo is gonna be pissed if Auburn ends up opening.

A&M has more money. I was down there in October, They have a brick façade around the whole stadium and they're building a Hotel next to Kyle Field.

Malzahn staying at Auburn.

A&M has more money. I was down there in October, They have a brick façade around the whole stadium and they're building a Hotel next to Kyle Field.

A school-run hotel by the football field with conference facilities seems like a good revenue stream.

Wasn't there some mock up of Groves back in the day that had a hotel behind the Hill?

A school-run hotel by the football field with conference facilities seems like a good revenue stream.

Wasn't there some mock up of Groves back in the day that had a hotel behind the Hill?

I think I remember seeing that. Before the economy tanked.

We are going to see more of this from universities. The new GOP tax plan will give wealthy donors more money to burn.

I'm still not following your argument.

Being a collegiate student athlete is not a job. It certainly takes a lot of time, but it isn't employment. Being a college athlete on scholarship is a highly, highly desired position. So much so that some students pay full tuition, walk-on to teams, and never play, just so they can be part of a collegiate team. Coaches being paid well isn't an argument to pay players, because, again, being a college athlete is not a job. Professors are paid well and some administrators are paid very well, whereas non-scholarship students have to pay to attend school. Does this discrepancy mean that non-scholarship students should be paid to attend school so they are compensated in a similar fashion to their professors and administrators?

Everyone makes the choice whether or not they want to try to attend college. Basketball and football players should be able to choose if they want to attend college or try to go pro. Tennis actually handles this pretty well. Top players can turn pro whenever they want or they can go to college - they have to make a decision based on their talent, financial situation, etc. The rules are a bit looser, so they can be sponsored and get gear, and they can even take a small amount of prize money for travel even though they enter college. For many the smart choice is college, both from a financial and future employment standpoint.

The only reason being a college athlete isn't considered a job is to protect the current system. The term "student-athlete" specifically helps universities avoid having to pay workmans' comp to injured players.

That's not in the Senate bill. Most think the final bill will look more like the Senate bill than the House bill.

I don't see this happening. A well supported minor league system could be developed for basketball and football, but schools would still want to have collegiate athletics so college basketball and football would still exist. And the college sports would be much more popular than the minor league sports, even if the talent level wasn't as high, so they would have better TV contracts, make more money, etc. In the US (and really throughout the world), people love seeing their schools compete, and I just don't see that going anywhere.

I don’t think it happens either — certainly not soon — but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the way it should be.

Too much moneyed interest to change it: NCAA makes tons of money on cheap labor, NBA and NFL get no-cost development leagues, and major colleges get brand-building amenities.

No other country that I know of uses college athletics as a minor league.

People just love college sports and feel a connection to it they don’t feel to pro teams, myself included. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a terribly flawed operation that exists on a mountain of cognitive dissonance.

That's not in the Senate bill. Most think the final bill will look more like the Senate bill than the House bill.

Pretty sure the removal of the deduction for seat rights is in both the House and the Senate bill.

Grad assistants at every school aren't paid the same but it's already tied to cost of living differences.

Not all apparel contracts are the same but from the numbers I've seen, the big schools could cover stipends for the majority of their athletes with one. If the market demanded bigger contracts, apparel companies would step up.

In my system, it would be up to the university to provide them or not. The only mandate would be to tie it to grad assistant funding in order to use an existing standard. The schools than can't are already at a disadvantage compared to the Bamas of the world. This wouldn't change that. The athletes at the Bamas draw more revenue anyway.

Here you go.

The only reason being a college athlete isn't considered a job is to protect the current system. The term "student-athlete" specifically helps universities avoid having to pay workmans' comp to injured players.

Never thought of the workman's comp angle before... interesting point

So Arkansas, Tennessee, and FSU are still open right now.

Phil Fulmer is said to be talking with Les Miles an FSU with Oregon's Willie Taggert. No idea what the Razorbacks are up to.

Back